Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of moving to oz for cad work

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Thinking of moving to oz for cad work
    Ok so i need some help on this and im not sure what to do. im currently working in retail and living in ireland, my wage is minimum wage and i just feel im stuck in a rut. I studied Interior architecture for a year, but dropped out, as i was quite young at the time, the course was very full on and i suppose i wasnt expecting it, was immature and wanted to go out all the time, I didnt commit fully to the course. i still had an interest in design and cad,so i went off worked for a while in few retail jobs, then i went on and completed a city and guilds level 3 course in 2d and 3d cad in 2008, at the end of this course we were meant to undertake work experience for few weeks but the recession had pretty much just hit and i tried for 6 months to get something, with no luck. To get myself off the dole i took a job in retail and have ended up being there for over 3 years now, and it really isnt for me. I cannot afford to go back to college. I would love to go to australia for a year or more and i would love to gain experience in cad over there while im at it. am i wasting my time looking for something with a city and guilds cert? maybe i should look for a junior autocad position over there, or on a working holiday visa, which would only allow me to work with the one employer for 6months would anyone take me on as a junior cad technicain? sure i could go to oz and work in a restaurant etc but i want to gain skills while im at it. i am aiming at going in either jan 13' , or April/May 13' at the latest. I would also like to have a job in the bag before i leave. id like to get planning and have everything in place before i go, i just dont know where to start. would greatly appreaciate some advice, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

www.seek.co.au is a big enough OZ website so you can check on that what the market is like for AutoCAD techs.

Can you do a top up course or anything like that before you go? Realistically if you have no experience and completed the course a few years ago you will be rusty to say the least.

Also I doubt you'll be able to secure work before you leave on a Working Holiday Visa. Most employers won't deal with anyone until they're in the country.

Just be aware if you go to New Zealand you can work with the one company for the full year. The Working Holiday Visa for their is as straight forward as getting the OZ version. Seek.co.nz and trademe.co.nz would be good sites to check the job market there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

You won't get work as a cad tech in Oz with a city and guilds and no expierance mate, I done that course about 5 years ago and while its a good course it doesn't give any real technical skills, I worked as a cad tech in a planning office for a year, the office then closed, I could not get a job for love nor money and I tried applying to Oz, If you want to work as a cad tech you will really need at least a Level 7 in civil or arch tech. If your still young I would sa bite the bullet and go to college it really will stand to you later in live, a city & guilds in autocad aint gonna get you much bud

Advertisement