Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vw mk4 engines?

• 10-04-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

well lads.
    sorry for asking such a general question but whats the difference bewteen the two engines pictured with the different engine covers that come in the mk4 vw golf, bora etc? all i no is that one is a pd engine? i prusume both are different to the common rail engines in the mk5 VW's? and are of a much simpler design simmilar to the engines in the mk3 ventos, golfs etc? which is the more reliable engine? any common problems associated with either type?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The red letters usually indicate a difference in power output. Both PD and pre PD engines had different power outputs. The more red letters you had, the power you had.

BTW badges and engine covers can be changed so only go by the power output on the log book. Alot fake ones out there claiming to be more powerful than they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The bottom one certainly looks like a PD engine cover - the top one is definitely for the original 1.9 TDI engine.

Both are very reliable, although the older engine is better on that score - it doesn't go wrong because there is nothing in it to go wrong!

All Mk5 Golf TDIs are PD engines - and the 2.0 is much worse than the older 1.9, but the 1.9 in the Mk5 is only available with either 90 or 105 bhp whereas in the Mk4 the engine was available with 100, 130 or 150 bhp (the 150 bhp can be troublesome and is most likely to have been abused since it attracts the shall we say upmarket Glanza driver).

Engine reliability is only one factor in the reliability of a car, and the Golf doesn't fare too well overall in terms of reliability, TDI engine or not. They can often give electrical related troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The first one is an AGR anyway (says so in marker)

There's VE and PD engines too. I'm afraid I don't know which is which, but the 90 and 110 were the older type, the 100hp is PD I think,

Nah, I dunno, but there are plenty people here who can tell you all the differences.

Advertisement