Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad newbie questions

• 10-04-2012 11:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I haven't had my iPad for long, 2 weeks ish. It's a second gen refurb, 32GB wi-fi. I've noticed that the home button is sometimes a little iffy and won't respond. It was like this early on, then it seemed to be fine, tonight it's a little weird again. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's little or firm pressure I apply, obviously I don't want to overdo it. Hopefully there's nothing wrong. I restarted the device now as I couldn't get out of Safari. Is there a shortcut for getting back to the home screen apart from using the home button or for closing an app?

Re typing, is there an easy way of managing things like copying/pasting text, say something from an email? I find this (select all) a little quite finickty...probably just time and getting used to id. If you make a mistake in spelling, don't notice it straight away, is there a way of repositioning the cursor accurately and quickly? I find I'm usually deleting the word and starting over as I can't get the cursor lined up, although zooming in helps, so again maybe it's practice.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There are multitasking gestures for getting back to the home screen, bringing up the multitasking bar and switching between apps. They are not enabled by the default though. You can enable them in Settings > General.

As for spelling mistakes, just double tap on the word and you will get suggestions. But yeah this is a little awkward. You'll get better at it, but it's one of the downsides of touch screen typing. Holding your finger down and moving the cursor into position is probably the best way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

If you got the refurb from Apple, I believe you're still covered under warranty. I'd say if the home button is acting up, bring it to their attention now and see if you can get it replaced or fixed. I had the same problem with my iPhone 3G and (though it took a long time) it did stop working completely. You don't want it to completely mess up a year from now when you're not covered by warranty any more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I second the idea that you send it back now.

Dodgy homebuttons may seem to fix themselves, but eventually will go completely. You don't want that happening out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

The first thing Apple support will recommend is that you do a complete reset and restore of the iPad. Do this before you ring them so you can tell them you've done it. The problem may be software related but as the iPad is new, you could probably do with a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭justmyself

Black Oil wrote: »
    I haven't had my iPad for long, 2 weeks ish. It's a second gen refurb, 32GB wi-fi. I've noticed that the home button is sometimes a little iffy and won't respond. It was like this early on, then it seemed to be fine, tonight it's a little weird again. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's little or firm pressure I apply, obviously I don't want to overdo it. Hopefully there's nothing wrong. I restarted the device now as I couldn't get out of Safari. Is there a shortcut for getting back to the home screen apart from using the home button or for closing an app?

Re typing, is there an easy way of managing things like copying/pasting text, say something from an email? I find this (select all) a little quite finickty...probably just time and getting used to id. If you make a mistake in spelling, don't notice it straight away, is there a way of repositioning the cursor accurately and quickly? I find I'm usually deleting the word and starting over as I can't get the cursor lined up, although zooming in helps, so again maybe it's practice.

Black Oil,

Where did you buy the refurb iPAD? Thinking of buying a refurb myself. Thx.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for all that. I bought it from Apple's online refurb store.

OK, I've tried the restore option there now so it's back at factory settings. iTunes is asking me whether I restore from backup of iPad or set up as new. 'This computer has previously been synced with an iPad or another iOS device'. So which option do I select - new or backup? Last backup was yesterday.

The home button was still a bit iffy this morning. Kinda hit and miss.

The multitasking options were already enabled and I think I see what to do now, should be alright. I have found the typing to be pretty smooth and natural enough depending on the angle you hold it. Need to practice more on the selecting words, etc.

Also, what do you use to transfer videos - Handbrake?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Went ahead with the restore. It seems to have helped a little, though I mostly use the multitasking option/finger gestures. Don't use the home button as much now.

I'll keep an eye on it, but do you still reckon I should give Apple a bell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Yes. It won't fix itself, and Apple will fix it. Take it from someone who had the home button break down completely outside warranty a few weeks ago - you should get this fixed now.

Advertisement