Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to work after postnatal depression

Options
  • 10-04-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,I have been on sick leave from work for nearly 3 months initially due to exhaustion and after 4 weeks off I got diagnosed with postnatal depression.My (first) baby is nearly a year old.My symptoms were very gradual-insomnia, lack of appetite, exhaustion,difficulties concentrating,increasing anxiety and feeling low in general.initially believed I just needed a short break from working a 5 day stressful job but then realised it was more serious.Anyways luckily after 6 weeks of medication I'm finally on the mend and should hope to be back to work in a month or so.I am understandably anxious about going back.worried about whether I should tell everyone the real reason I was off-my boss knows.Also my employer had orally agreed initially to a 3 day week using parental leave before I got diagnosed with pnd and then had to stay out for longer than expected.I'm wondering do I have any rights to initially go back to work on a part time basis even if my boss has changed his mind on this since.Also can my GP say I am only initially fit to go back working on a 3 or 4 day week and if so can my employer disagree and only accept me back on a 5 day full time basis?I just want to make sure I don't have a relapse especially since I'm doing so well now.I don't mind going back full time again once my health doesn't suffer and I have no way of predicting if that may happen today.I believe the best way would be to start off part-time and gradually build up my hours.
    I'm totally up in a heap as to what to do.can anyone advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Piscesblue wrote: »
    I am understandably anxious about going back.worried about whether I should tell everyone the real reason I was off-my boss knows.

There's one school of thought that says it's none of your colleagues business why you were off.

There's another that says not telling is just furthering the stigma around mental illness: you wouldn't hesistate to say that you were off 'cos of a broken leg or diabetes problems or whatever, so why wouldn't you tell if it was a MH problem.

At the end of the day, it comes down to your relationship with your colleagues, and only you can decide what's best.

Also can my GP say I am only initially fit to go back working on a 3 or 4 day week and if so can my employer disagree and only accept me back on a 5 day full time basis?

Not 100%, but I believe they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If antenatal depression is considered a disability in law like other forms of depression, then your employer is obliged to make reasonable accommodations for you. This is unlike sick leave where you can be let go if a continuing pattern of sick leave means you're unable to do your job (regardless of whether a doctor has certified your leave or not).

I'd suggest checking out some of the support groups (e.g. pnd.ie) to see if you can any more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bain_triail_as

Link to Heath and Executive site in UK.
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/stress/furtheradvice/returntowork.htm

When I worked in public sector job there, a Back-to-work discussion was mandatory on first day back after sickness. In fact, managers were pleased that the employee was back at work and would consider/ facilitate a reduction in work hours while bearing in mind business needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,I have been on sick leave from work for nearly 3 months initially due to exhaustion and after 4 weeks off I got diagnosed with postnatal depression.My (first) baby is nearly a year old.My symptoms were very gradual-insomnia, lack of appetite, exhaustion,difficulties concentrating,increasing anxiety and feeling low in general.initially believed I just needed a short break from working a 5 day stressful job but then realised it was more serious.Anyways luckily after 6 weeks of medication I'm finally on the mend and should hope to be back to work in a month or so.I am understandably anxious about going back.worried about whether I should tell everyone the real reason I was off-my boss knows.Also my employer had orally agreed initially to a 3 day week using parental leave before I got diagnosed with pnd and then had to stay out for longer than expected.I'm wondering do I have any rights to initially go back to work on a part time basis even if my boss has changed his mind on this since.Also can my GP say I am only initially fit to go back working on a 3 or 4 day week and if so can my employer disagree and only accept me back on a 5 day full time basis?I just want to make sure I don't have a relapse especially since I'm doing so well now.I don't mind going back full time again once my health doesn't suffer and I have no way of predicting if that may happen today.I believe the best way would be to start off part-time and gradually build up my hours.
    I'm totally up in a heap as to what to do.can anyone advise?

Must be a pieses thing ! I've been out of work with depression a good bit, granted i havent been lucky enough to have a baby yet but always worry that i'd get PND.

Anyway, having returned to work after number of months and with letter from doctor, and agreed with work OH dept I returned on a phased basis as in reduced working wk. So i'd say you'd been fine really. if you have an OH, or doctor who works for your company they would probably agree it would be best for you to go back part time.

I would think if your boss had agreed to you doing a 3 day wk, after your maternity leave adn before you every were sick you will still be intitled to do this, as just because you've been sick doesnt mean your not allowed take your parental leave still.

Chat to your boss about it, and HR if need be. No harm asking your boss or HR can only say no thats not allowed, but if its allowed your fine.

As for telling your work mates....well as othe rposter said, sadly there is a stigma attached ot depresson, not sure if attached as much to post natal depression.
    Unfortunately I've found that my work mates have kinda shunned me after a good few months off sick, it seems your not allowed be sick these days....
    The 'group' i was part off before i was off sick, no longer wanted me on my return....
    I am probably better off, as its supportive people you need around you at a time like this.
    Take care of YOURSELF what ever you decide...you may need longer than you think to recover...dont push yourself adn risk slipping backwards ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

piescestoo wrote: »
    because you've been sick doesnt mean your not allowed take your parental leave still.

Chat to your boss about it, and HR if need be. No harm asking your boss or HR can only say no thats not allowed, but if its allowed your fine.

The thing is that parental leave is specifically for caring for the child. This sounds like sick leave. That distinction might not actually make a difference in practice - I don't know, but it might be worth bearing in mind.
    piescestoo wrote: »
    Take care of YOURSELF what ever you decide...you may need longer than you think to recover...dont push yourself adn risk slipping backwards ;-)

Agreed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement