Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheep way to manage transfers to and from UK for a student

Options
  • 10-04-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I want to setup a account that will allow me to function as a student in the UK and will allow for cheep money transfers to and from Ireland. I know citygroup has a SEPA funds transfer product that will allow for free money exchange, but I dont see anything about student accounts on their site and do not know if that can be added to a student account. Does anyone have any advice on banks that offer student accounts that will allow me to do this or something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Consider an account with a retail bank that operates in both jurisdictions - AIB, BOI, Ulster Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

use transfermate to make cheap transfers between accounts in both countries. I use them and its very straight forward, not employed by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Widget

I tried setting up an account in UK or Northern Ireland to transfer money to my AIB account, doesn't work they charge £25 per transfer - HSBC ONLY charge me £17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

The foreign exchange fees and rates in the UK are terrible. Bringing a pile of cash is one way. Opening an AIB student account and withdrawing in the UK is another, you don't pay charges and the rate is reasonable. A Kalixa prepaid mastercard is also good for withdrawing money if you're taking out a large amount. £1.75 withdrawal fee and the best exchange rate you'll get anywhere. If you're bringing cash, changing it to sterling in ireland will save you a lot of money. Whichever option you pick, you're going to get somewhat screwed - just have to find the least painful option, or get some good lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Use Currencyfair, very efficient and great rates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Any chance of making this question a sticky?
    It seems to come up every week.

Advertisement