Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Range Extender

Options
  • 10-04-2012 11:50pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    A quick question. Have a Linksys Wireless G router setup here which gives pretty decent coverage throughout our two story house.

I had one of the Linksys Wireless Cisco Linksys Wireless-G Range Expanders but its died on me (and the one I bought around the same time for my sisters house, also died) but it lasted a few years. I use it to get a stronger reception in the bungalow at the back of the house. The front room of the bungalow is pretty much in line of sight of the router and is reliable signal without the extender but the back room is very low. The Linksys gave a strong signal boost and provided reliable access (at times slow, but mostly it did the job) in the back room of the bungalow.

Anyway, I need to get myself a new extender to get coverage. PC World had a NETGEAR WN3000RP-100UKS Universal WiFi Range Extender, with Komplett and a few others having a NETGEAR Range Extender - WN2000RPT. There is a big difference in the price, and the reviews aren't the best - especially for the WN2000RPT.

There are plenty of eBay providers offering decent guarantees on their extenders (cheap) and PC World are offering to see if they can lower the price on their own product.

Any suggestions? Will I go with one of the two products above or something else?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimso

Hi Sully,

Did you get any advice on this extender issue. I am thinking about buying something similar but worried about the reduction in speed on the extender. It will be used for a Netflix box which seems quite sensitive to speed.

Best REgards

Jimso

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jimso wrote: »
    Hi Sully,

Did you get any advice on this extender issue. I am thinking about buying something similar but worried about the reduction in speed on the extender. It will be used for a Netflix box which seems quite sensitive to speed.

Best REgards

Jimso

Nope. I got a Belkin Extender from PC World but it was crap compared to the Linksys product I previously had. Belkin customer care was awful, and I am only just after getting a replacement in the post after a long drawn out battle with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimso

Thanks for the info. I will let you know if I get any further advice, even though perhap late for you.

Thanks again

Jimso

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I cant say I have ever had a problem with speed on a range extender, and I have been using Linksys for a long time. :)

Advertisement