Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never felt so close to reporting a student

Options
  • 11-04-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Coming out of a lab late today and walking past towards the newman building with a friend of mine. We see two ag students having a heated arguement (my mates an ag student she knows them). One of the students was holding a hurley and pinned the other guy to the ground shouting at him. After them rolling on the ground on the ground a for a few minutes the guy with the hurley relented. By this stage there was a few onlookers and the guys both turned there attention on them. One shouted in the face of one or two undergraduates and the other hit a guy with the but of the hurley in the back.

During all this security in the newman did nothing until the fight ended. The guys involved from previous experience go out on ag nights out trying to start fights. This was annoying to see that taxpayers fund this but I expected the worst that can happen is they got a good hiding. Where it gets unacceptable for me is these thugs threatening young students in ucd.

Did anyone else see this or come across this sort of attitude before in UCD? I havent and Im a bit shocked by it to be honest. Would any of you report this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

The fact that security did nothing is more shocking than these two idiots carry on. I would be just as likely to report them. You or your mate should report these thugs anyway, not only to the college but to the Gardai. They don't belong on a college course if they start threatening other students for no reason.

Sooner or later they're going to pick a fight with the wrong person anyway and get whats coming to them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Gi joe! wrote: »
    The fact that security did nothing is more shocking than these two idiots carry on. I would be just as likely to report them. You or your mate should report these thugs anyway, not only to the college but to the Gardai. They don't belong on a college course if they start threatening other students for no reason.

Sooner or later they're going to pick a fight with the wrong person anyway and get whats coming to them. :)

Thanks for the advice! Im worried about them seeing my friend and asociating the reporting with her. The security gaurd just watched them walk away. I actually thought they were winos they way they were carrying on. I couldnt believe they were students.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

They're Ags, what do you expect?! :pac:

I jest, I jest...

They're Ags, what do you expect?! :pac:

I jest, I jest...

Well ags or not what I expect is these guys out of ucd. I couldnt believe what I was seeing. These thugs hopefully will start a fight with the wrong person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Report it, students like that are the reason that events that cancelled, or rag weeks disposed off. It will unfortuantely be difficult for the college to deal with unless security in newman also confirm what you say. Definitely worth doing though....and fair play to you for doing it.

• Advertisement

yellow hen wrote: »
    Report it, students like that are the reason that events that cancelled, or rag weeks disposed off. It will unfortuantely be difficult for the college to deal with unless security in newman also confirm what you say. Definitely worth doing though....and fair play to you for doing it.

My friend and I reported it to the gaurds. My friends going down to make a statement and give their names. Animals like this shouldnt be filling places in any college. Their lucky to go to ucd hopefully theyll learn that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

steddyeddy wrote: »

This was annoying to see that taxpayers fund this

Presumably the tax-payer funds their lectures/tutorials and this was extra-mural activity which would be unacceptable even if they were Masters' students paying their own way?

Just hate to see the tax-payer dragged into yet another issue. He's feeling self-righteous enough about things as it is! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I wouldn't expect security to jump into a situation like this. They aren't paid to break up fights. The only people I would expect to do so would be Gardai with suitable back up. A hurley, all joking aside, is a fairly offensive weapon. That type of carry on though has no place anywhere.

Theres a decent amount of CCTV outside Ag and the Chemistry side of science, so it should be fairly easy to pick them out. Charges would only stick however if someone makes a case of assault. Which is unlikely in this day and age.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect security to jump into a situation like this. They aren't paid to break up fights. The only people I would expect to do so would be Gardai with suitable back up. A hurley, all joking aside, is a fairly offensive weapon. That type of carry on though has no place anywhere.

Theres a decent amount of CCTV outside Ag and the Chemistry side of science, so it should be fairly easy to pick them out. Charges would only stick however if someone makes a case of assault. Which is unlikely in this day and age.

In fairness your right there. A hurley is a very nasty weapon and these lot wouldnt have had the sense to stop attacking. It was outside the newman building though not the chemistry building.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In fairness your right there. A hurley is a very nasty weapon and these lot wouldnt have had the sense to stop attacking. It was outside the newman building though not the chemistry building.

Sorry, read that as Ag building. There is more CCTV in UCD than people realise. Its definitely on tape somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

ironclaw wrote: »

Even if no charge of assault is pressed, if it comes to the attention of the college they can take suitable action. Bad enough they were fighting, but the fact they then started on bystanders for watching them act the prícks isn't acceptable at all.

Advertisement