Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Draft the Key to Success?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions especially from the old guard,

One of the Key things I've noticed from my first year of playing madden is that adopting one play book. no matter what team your using knowing the playbook inside out and your go to plays is key.

Took me till after our first season to realize that I'm most effective with the NE Playbook.

Ideally I should have drafted a good OL to give me time in the pocket. An accurate QB, 2 speedy WR and a Big receiving TE.

Also researching the stats of the drafting players, I like using a speedy HB that runs well to the outside but can also catch. I prefer playing man coverage but never checked my CB/LB stats just there OVR.

Also age and progression are Key to maintaining and improving a team. I lost my best DT and HB after season 1, which was a void I still haven't filled. This season I risk losing My K, P, C, CB, SS, RG, ROLB, RE, DT SS 8 out of 10 our starters and the other 2 are backups.

So quiet possibly I could be left with a poor secondary and special teams.

Looking back on the last two seasons I'd say this had the biggest impact on my performance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah, I think that the draft is really key. In another franchise, I have Colt McCoy and Danny Woodhead. Woodhead is good but he doesn't really fit my style of play. Colt McCoy is awful. I missed the draft and I have paid for it dearly. Also had a very aging defence where a couple of them retired after season 1.

I have to say that I have now adopted Berty's draft style. Don't pay too much attention to overall. Look at what actual attributes you need. In that other franchise, I drafted a HB simply for trucking through the middle he is only rated 77. He is unbelievable good (getting injured lots though).

Also, Berty traded me a FB at the start of the year who isn't rated the best overall but great at blocking. I try to just get behind him and it has revolutionized my running game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Here's a thread I created for a friend who wanted some advice on what positions to prioritse. Some interesting posts:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056577272
    Raoul wrote: »
    I have to say that I have now adopted Berty's draft style. Don't pay too much attention to overall. Look at what actual attributes you need.

I'll definitely be doing this for the Madden 13 draft, now that I have a clear idea of the style of play I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Get a good kicker, don't rely on scrubs in FA

I cannot do fifty yards and then you are caught.
    Go for it on fourth down inside the forty or punt and hope to hit the corner

Some teams can do long FG's with ease
    Ryan Longwell is a beast in Madden

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

I would love to have another draft as I think that it would be totally different to any draft that I have ever done.

I would focus on getting a top HB, a good QB, a good O-line, 1 great DT (get some sacks in), a good quality wide receiver and then top CBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Get different kinds of recievers

And my passing game is shocking but I have

Eddie Royal for the deep bombs [high yard per catch average in the league :)]
    Demyarius Thomas who is strong and physical and can out battle a defensive back, perfect for those curl routes outside
    And Julian Edelman, great in the slot

But if I mixed up these roles they would not be half as effective I feel

You don't need three Andre Johnsons on your team though it's a dream
    Compromises have to be made to have your receivers compliment each other with different stats and skillsets

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah i have Vinateri, he's a good overall but jesus at 45 yards with no wind i struggle!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I disagree on the kicker, pick one up in the last round or in FA, just check out kick power and kick accuracy everything else is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

[QUOTE=empacher;78060568
    One of the Key things I've noticed from my first year of playing madden is that adopting one play book. no matter what team your using knowing the playbook inside out and your go to plays is key.

Took me till after our first season to realize that I'm most effective with the NE Playbook.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% with that.

As soon as you get the game it's best to try and go through as many playbooks as you can, find the one you like best and just stick with it through the whole year.

Obviously that might get boring after a few months so mix it up in friendly games etc but for important games it best to have a playbook you know inside out and have a few money plays too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think it depends on what type of player you are for if the draft is key to success.

I find I can adapt to situations that I am in so if I have a run heavy team, I use the Miami Dolphins play book but if I have great WRs then I run the GB play book.

In the IG main franchise I've got the Jags, I've got a 99 HB and a QB and WRs in the 80s. I've a great TE and a deep threat in Antonio Brown. So here I look to ram the ball down teams throat and catch them out then with long balls to Antonio Brown. It's all about me getting in third and manageable situations so that I can be successful.

With the Packers in this franchise, I traded my TE Finley at the beginning of this season to move towards a more west-coast offence. Here it's all about scoring quickly and scoring early, forcing the opposition on to the field more and creating turnovers with the CBs I have. I may have to change this theory for the play offs and have a more safer style of play with Locker at QB :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Since we're talking about players' individual statistics, what does awareness actually do for a QB? And how deep does a throw have to be for deep throw accuracy to be the stat used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

matthew8 wrote: »
    Since we're talking about players' individual statistics, what does awareness actually do for a QB? And how deep does a throw have to be for deep throw accuracy to be the stat used?

I don't think awareness means too much, as it is you controlling the QB but it means alot when they are cpu controlled.

You know yourself if you played cpu controlled Jason Campbell, if his first read was not open he tucked and ran, usually into a pass rush, or threw a bad pass. That sort of thing wouldn't happen with cpu Tom Brady

Advertisement