Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone recommend the best quad fert spreader?

• 11-04-2012 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I going to buy a small spreader for behind the quad and wonder if anyone can vouch for a particular make?! Plastic hopper or metal?

Cosmo - look very sturdy and I saw a boy that does quad spreading contracting with one so I presuming they are the business but they look like 5 or 8 bag jobs

I'd say 3 bags would be enough for what I'd want l like the look of the Fleming Yellow one on flotation tyres.

Blue Gamberini or something like that are also big and bulky.

I know it's like everything you have to mind them and grease moving parts and keep them inside but just wondering can anyone tell me of ones to steer clear off as have heard few lads saying some of the ground driven gears can give bother

Many thanks In advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Skiup

I have a Walco ground driven spreader with a plastic hopper for the back of a 350cc quad. In it's 3rd year now and no problems so far. Get's used 3-4 times a week during the spring/summer and all it ever needed was grease. Takes 7 bags when full but they might do smaller. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Make sure you get a lid if you purchase as they tend to bounce a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭signinlate

Irish made.
    www.jpceng.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Skiup wrote: »
    I have a Walco ground driven spreader with a plastic hopper for the back of a 350cc quad. In it's 3rd year now and no problems so far. Get's used 3-4 times a week during the spring/summer and all it ever needed was grease. Takes 7 bags when full but they might do smaller. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Make sure you get a lid if you purchase as they tend to bounce a bit!

Thanks Skiup,

I'd be looking for smaller model alright as it's for tight corners hilly out of reach bits so no point going much over 3 bag and strangling quad! I'll look up that make ( where did you get yours) and never thought of a lid, good thinking though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

signinlate wrote: »
    Irish made.
    www.jpceng.net

I bought one of these two years ago,
    Very decent people to deal with, I havn't had any bother with it, would def recommend it.

Only thing i see with quad spreaders is there not as accurate as tractor types IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Skiup

Bodacious wrote: »
    Thanks Skiup,

I'd be looking for smaller model alright as it's for tight corners hilly out of reach bits so no point going much over 3 bag and strangling quad! I'll look up that make ( where did you get yours) and never thought of a lid, good thinking though

http://www.walco.co.nz/fertiliserspreaders.html

That gives the different models. Ours is the 3.5 which holds the 7 bags but it's right to the top. Judging by that I'd say it's the 1.75 you'd be looking at but I find with mine I'd rarely go above the 5 bags in one run. They are not as accurate as a mounted spreader but i find it brilliant for paddocks and following the cows. They have a great spread width as well and our mounted spreader has gone into semi-retirement because of it. I only use it for for silage spreading and early in the year now. There not cheap but when I was pricing before i found them all around similar prices. We got ours in Johnston farm equipment in Longford mainly because I know one of the salesmen well. Overall the quad and spreader were the best thing to come around this place and we wouldn't do without either! So best of luck whatever you choose to go for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement