Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head beat off me for saying it

• 11-04-2012 12:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭

Watched the Farmleigh documentory this eve. The English took care of our heritage a lot better than we would have. Its up to us now. Great job on the Royal canal but what else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Forget to record it. Must watch it.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1144438

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

'our' heritage ?

They took care of their stuff. :p

The only reason we have Georgian buildings left in Dublin is that we didn't have the money needed to redevelop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Out rural a lot of the old estate houses are gone

Burned downed in the twenties under the cover of the IRA but more to do with locals and farmers settling scores and had pretty much nothing to do with republicanism.

And those left had such huge rates [which Jack Lynch abolished but we have the household charge now :)] that the owners just left or made them inhabitable. In some cases removing the roof

This is a cracking site, love it
    http://www.abandonedireland.com/start.html

There is a book on sale too
    I'm not shilling, the book is just out there if you want it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The only reason we have Georgian buildings left in Dublin is that we didn't have the money needed to redevelop
    Good. They're a sight better than any buildings we put up since, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The English. A great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Taking care of heritage is expensive and I can certainly understand why a fledgling state had other priorities like health, education, security, etc etc. Also it was a lot less enlightened age.

I always thought Woodquay was a tragedy, on one hand you had the best example of a Viking settlement anywhere in Europe, or a Pill Box, we got the pill box.

Think what they could have done to that site as a tourist attraction, it would have being better then the Guinness hops store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

mikemac1 wrote: »

Burned downed in the twenties under the cover of the IRA but more to do with locals and farmers settling scores and had pretty much nothing to do with republicanism.

And those left had such huge rates [which Jack Lynch abolished but we have the household charge now :)] that the owners just left or made them inhabitable. In some cases removing the roof

Just ordered the book cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wattle and Daub all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

mikemac1 wrote: »

i know of two houses. Grattan house in Mountbellew Galway and the house in Portumna Galway (both gone). theses houses would have easily riavled Farmleigh House however they are gone.

The even was one near my home house but all that remains is one wall of it. Local farmers used the stone from it for houses, churches and roads such was the state the country was in between the 20's and 50's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Not an english/irish thing but our Church of Ireland brothers and sisters have done an excellent job of looking after their (and our) church architecture.

The catholic church has, imho, a disasterous record of wreckovating Irish churches, expecially since the 70s (albeit, many only 100-150 yeard old as opposed to, generally, much older CoI stock). A few gems remain...but they are the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Some of the best things about our country is from the legacy of the Brits. From the buildings, art, infrastructure and humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Good Gawd! Another thread with the Irish running themselves down:mad: Carry on lads - your awfully good at it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Madam wrote: »
    Good Gawd! Another thread with the Irish running themselves down:mad: Carry on lads - your awfully good at it:rolleyes:
    Thats partly why we are where we are. Of course, we felt great about ourselves a few years ago but made a bollix of that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Madam wrote: »
    Sure, didn't England build Scotland too :p :stir stir:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Remains of small local castle in North Tipp

Pulled down to build walls for the quays so slate could be shipped across the Shannon to Limerick

And nobody gave it a second thought
    People were more practical back then maybe, if you need stone then pull down the local castle.
    Castle is a bit generous, was just a tower realy for the O'Kennedys who Cromwell beat the **** out of and so they declined

But going back to the OP, this was done back in Famine times when a lot of projects were done just for the sake of work

Nice pics but not very interesting, just local that's all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We're gone too far the other way now putting heritage orders on dilapidated buildings because a small group of people are used to the building where it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Councils and corporations don't really give a fuck what gets demolished and what gets built, they allow any old sh1te to be thrown up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not an english/irish thing but our Church of Ireland brothers and sisters have done an excellent job of looking after their (and our) church architecture.

You mean after they nicked the ones that the papists built?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Bambi wrote: »

Well I didn't want to mention that unpleasantness but those churches physically would be in a very different shape now if the RCC still had them on their books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bambi wrote: »

The Church of England nicked all the Catholic ones in England as well, the thieving feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭I_p_freely

thomur wrote: »
    Watched the Farmleigh documentory this eve. The English took care of our heritage a lot better than we would have. Its up to us now. Great job on the Royal canal but what else.

The Guinness' sold the place because it was going into disrepair! Needed a new roof among other things.

I'm always suprised by how many of those houses are around. I live in Leixlip and we have Castletown house, Carton house, Leixlip house, Liffey valley house hotel this place in kilcock --> http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0405/1224314382625.html

They are all within 10 mins of me. Crazy! A lot of rich people back then.

Advertisement