Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputable & experienced occasional childminder

Options
  • 11-04-2012 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Family all live in different counties so organising a baby sitter is so much hassle it's almost not worth it! So now that my little man isn't far off his 1st birthday (June) i think it's time to find someone reputable, trustworthy, experienced etc that we can call on for the odd night out when a family member Isnt an option or even in an emergency when a family member would be at the closest an hour an a half's drive away! So anyone got any advice on where/how I can find someone ( Dublin city area) wheather that be through an agency or a private person? I don't have anyone I can ask so all advice, options and info appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

my recommendations would be phone / call to local creches or ask at work, someones child may want the extra money.

Personally my first childminder I got from local ads board in Superquin, (18 leaving cert student) but as we only used her occasionally she wasn't available everytime we needed her.

Our next was a girl who used to work in our creche (while and employee she couldn't babysit for us under the terms of her employment).

Our most recent is the neice of a work colleague who is a student.

Usually our kids sleep from time of going to bed until next morning, and we always have them in bed before we go out. So the babysitter is being paid to sit drinking and eating our biscuits and tea, while in full control of the TV remote:) They all look for minimum wage so I'd preferably go with creche worker who generally will have some level of childcare qualification and possibly first aid. We also usually pay them for a while before we go to meet children , in case child woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

ocy wrote: »
    my recommendations would be phone / call to local creches or ask at work, someones child may want the extra money.

Personally my first childminder I got from local ads board in Superquin, (18 leaving cert student) but as we only used her occasionally she wasn't available everytime we needed her.

Our next was a girl who used to work in our creche (while and employee she couldn't babysit for us under the terms of her employment).

Our most recent is the neice of a work colleague who is a student.

Usually our kids sleep from time of going to bed until next morning, and we always have them in bed before we go out. So the babysitter is being paid to sit drinking and eating our biscuits and tea, while in full control of the TV remote:) They all look for minimum wage so I'd preferably go with creche worker who generally will have some level of childcare qualification and possibly first aid. We also usually pay them for a while before we go to meet children , in case child woke up.

Thanks, someone told me of a very good crèche in the Mountjoy square/ncr area
    But they only take kids over 2. I was advised to put my sons name down on waiting list, So i call them? Is it ok to ring up and ask if any of the
    Staff do private childminding?I don't want to get anyone in trouble!!?!

I would only be comfortable with someone over 18 ( at the absolute minimum) who had gpod experience or relevant qualification or An older person who had experience or had brought up their own children etc.
    Is it obvious im a first time mum lol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

I would phone the creche, the worst they can say is no. as I said most of them are only dying to earn extra money, and babysitting in the evening is generally easy money We were the same on our first!

Advertisement