Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have a cousin who has MS for almost 30 years, get all the perks

• 11-04-2012 7:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I dunno what to say. He can get around the place without a wheelchair. He gets a free car of the state every 2 years, and this ain't no cheap model, its worth around €20,000. It is the latest year too, brand spankingly new. Completely free, every 2 years without fail.

He got a big massive vehicle for getting him around, despite him only using it for going to the pub. It is intended for people who can't walk, you could label it an electric wheelchair but this thing is more like a vehicle. It has it's own steering wheel, I say it cost by itself over €20,000. He uses it on the footpath as it isn't for the road, though it's much too big for the footpath IMO. He got a house from the state which would have been worth around €300,000 during the boomtime and he got a garage put in the side just for this vehicle/electric wheelchair.

I know it is extraordinary for a person to live for 30 years with MS, but he is looking well. As I said, he only uses the car/electric wheelchair to go to the pub, othertimes he uses a crutch. He walks without support to and from his car. He walks around his own house with no support. Thought ye feel this a bit too much though. as I said, over €20,000 IMO for the thing that gets him around, new car every 2 years. I'm certain he gets more than the standard disability allowance every week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Stop begrudging and go out side and have a nice walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Why are you so bothered by this? How does it negatively affect your life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Just be glad you're healthy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Why are you so bothered by this? How does it negatively affect your life?

I'm not very bothered, I just felt like making this thread for everyone to see what this man gets for free. I feel it is excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I dunno what to say. He can get around the place without a wheelchair. He gets a free car of the state every 2 years, and this ain't no cheap model, its worth around €20,000. It is the latest year too, brand spankingly new. Completely free, every 2 years without fail.

He got a big massive vehicle for getting him around, despite him only using it for going to the pub. It is intended for people who can't walk, you could label it an electric wheelchair but this thing is more like a vehicle. It has it's own steering wheel, I say it cost by itself over €20,000. He uses it on the footpath as it isn't for the road, though it's much too big for the footpath IMO. He got a house from the state which would have been worth around €300,000 during the boomtime and he got a garage put in the side just for this vehicle/electric wheelchair.

I know it is extraordinary for a person to live for 30 years with MS, but he is looking well. As I said, he only uses the car/electric wheelchair to go to the pub, othertimes he uses a crutch. He walks without support to and from his car. He walks around his own house with no support. Thought ye feel this a bit too much though. as I said, over €20,000 IMO for the thing that gets him around, new car every 2 years. I'm certain he gets more than the standard disability allowance every week.

And he'd probably give it all up to not have MS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I'm not very bothered, I just felt like making this thread for everyone to see what this man gets for free. I feel it is excessive.

Yeah I mean god forbid a grown man use his vehicle to travel to the pub. He should clearly stay locked in his bedroom and not socialize or enjoy his life at all.

Even if his MS isn't severe, you don't know how it affects him daily as you never had it yourself. You sound very bitter, not a nice quality, especially considering its a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Wow, your cousin is so lucky, having a debilitating disease like MS where he gets a shortened lifespan.

I wish I could have MS so I could be like him and get a free wheelchair, car and house.

FFS, I hope he never sees your post and recognises you for the begrudging curmudgeon you are.

Sometimes water is thicker than blood after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its amazing how a little bit of envy can lead to a lot of misunderstanding.

All your assumptions have taken the outside and screwed it up to your twisted sense of rage and misunderstanding.

Try looking inside and be greatful that you get nothing because your normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Surely a satirical swipe at all the anti-benefits-no-matter-what mong threads? Wonder whether the OP will be agreed with? Probably will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

What is wrong with you!!! Just because he doesn`t come to you and cry and moan doesn`t mean he isn`t suffering horrible symptoms you can`t see. And if you want those things go and work for them, he can`t do that and whose to say what he would have if he had your health. I`m delighted as a country that we look after the most vunerable in our society, that is how we should be judged. And so what if he goes to the pub - what would you do in his position? Maybe he`s depressed, maybe he wants peoples complany...does he have a partner - I`m sure thats not easy when you have MS.
    You need to educated yourself about what happens to people with MS its not pleasant and I wouldn`t wish it on my worst enemy:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

As far as I'm aware no such scheme exists. I think specially modified cars for people with a disability don't have to pay VRT on vehicles, but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

A closed mind is an awful shame.

Is a brand new car required every two years?

Just because someone is very ill, doesn't mean we can't question logic. Assuming your cousin isn't on the road all day, mileage won't be too high. Couldn't a new car every 4 years suffice? Or a four year old car as opposed to a brand new one?
    Funding saved by this could be pumped straight back into help MS sufferers in other less funded areas.

But I guess we shouldn't ever question what the government does when it comes to benefits (assuming this is all true, which I suspect it mightn't be)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Zulu wrote: »
    A closed mind is an awful shame.

Is a brand new car required every two years?

Just because someone is very ill, doesn't mean we can't question logic. Assuming your cousin isn't on the road all day, mileage won't be too high. Couldn't a new car every 4 years suffice? Or a four year old car as opposed to a brand new one?
    Funding saved by this could be pumped straight back into help MS sufferers in other less funded areas.

But I guess we shouldn't ever question what the government does when it comes to benefits (assuming this is all true, which I suspect it mightn't be)?

You pay for the car. You just get the VRT/VAT back. You also pay for the modification in somecases. You again get the VAT back.

You also get VRT/VAT back on fuel

The reason its every 2 years is because when the govt discussed this with experts from the motor industry and so forth then they realised it actually costs the car owner the least. Which considering most dont have it.

Again. A bit of knowledge and misunderstanding can truly be a dangerous and bitter thing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Zulu wrote: »
    Course we should when a person doesn't have a disability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I dont get these fancy ass perks i just get constant pain and inablity to properly use my arm and leg :( im clearly missing out on the high life here

Oh and believe me just because he doesnt tell you or even show what he goes through each day doesnt mean hes likely not going through issues i wouldnt tell my family anything about what i deal with every day as they wouldnt understand and would just be worried about something they can not change ...besides he has ms hes not i assume a social cripple and can see how much of a begrudeing little man you are why talk to you about anything or show any "weakness" or need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Bitter much I wonder.:confused: AS far as the car is you are completly wrong it is not free the VAT/VRT is taken off only (Yes it is a bit of money) and it is every 2 minimum. As far of the house maybe he is geetting the council house like everyone gets a council house. The big massive vechicle you call it is a wheelchair. He has it more than likely as MS suffers tend to get tired very quickly if they have to walk long distances. As other posters said get a life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, you're jealous of someone with a debilitating disease? A bit low, don't you think? Just because you're unemployed it doesn't stop people with disabilities needed government assistance. Oh and your relation does NOT get a free car. Do a bit of research before you come out with that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'm just digging out my pitchfork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

well me thinks OP is blowing it out of proportion.

Mobility scooters are at max 5 grand really a quick look around online will show that. (most expensive i found is just under $5000) and although it might not be exact its a good guideline price.

On the topic of the car, i'm pretty sure they would be bought direct (do they have a garage sticker on the back window for example) like Garda Cars. Skipping the dealer and taxes that would be included in the whole process would drop the price too.

EDIT: i see mentioned in posts above that the car seems to be subsidised

A house worth 300 grand in the boom? Not a wile lot in fairness compared to other prices at that time.

I have no problem with this at all, i've had family and friends with MS and it is not something that you would wish on an enemy. You don't know the hard times that are ahead or even ones he is going through now. Are you with him 24/7? Could he maybe be putting on a brave face in front of family and friends. Not wanting them to see him suffer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Again. A bit of knowledge and misunderstanding can truly be a dangerous and bitter thing,

Mitigated by the willingness to ask questions, nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

just WOW!

My friend's brother has MS, he also has a young family and worries about the disease progressing quickly and him passing early.

I'd say he'd give up anything to not have that on his mind all the time.

Honestly OP, cop yourself on will you. A car is a car ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

The reason its every 2 years is because when the govt discussed this with experts from the motor industry and so forth then they realised it actually costs the car owner the least. Which considering most dont have it.
    Thanks for clearing that up Joey the lips; makes far more sense alright. Good to see they got something right! :)
    Dudess wrote: »
    Course we should when a person doesn't have a disability.
    Sorry, but that's a complete nonsense. Disability or not, everything should be examined to make sure our limited resources are going to the most needy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

CorkMan :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

A close relative (VERY close) has just been diagonised with MS, i'd give my right arm to take on me instead of her, but I can't and THATS what the Welfare State is for.

OP I'm probably going to get banned if I say what I really think about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Risetothetop your username is full of so much delicious irony it's ftw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I knew I shouldn't have bought a mac.

I knew I shouldn't have bought a mac.

I hear they're giving away free mac's to immigrants, and when the batter wears down they throw them away and get new ones off the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

OP if you started this thread by talking about your cousin with MS who is neglected by the state and doesn't get enough help...all the thanked replies would be stuff like "what makes this man so special". "theres a lot in the same boat". Most people on boards are a bit thick. If they lived next door to your cousin they'd bitch about what he gets from the state etc....but it's your turn to be taken down a few pegs today. Sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP if you started this thread by talking about your cousin with MS who is neglected by the state and doesn't get enough help...all the thanked replies would be stuff like "what makes this man so special". "theres a lot in the same boat". Most people on boards are a bit thick. If they lived next door to your cousin they'd bitch about what he gets from the state etc....but it's your turn to be taken down a few pegs today. Sorry about that.

Maybe it's just you?

• Advertisement

Surely a satirical swipe at all the anti-benefits-no-matter-what mong threads? Wonder whether the OP will be agreed with? Probably will...

Yeah I thought this was satire too :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I dunno what to say...
    Then maybe you shouldn't have bothered trying, tbh.

Stay classy, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,096 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, I wish I could get MS, so I could get all these perks:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

MS is a complex condition and both its severity and the rate at which it progresses vary considerably from individual to individual.

I see nothing wrong with the State looking after people like that - as well as possible within reason to ensure that they can lead a life of human dignity.:)

No matter how much envy and begrudgery it prompts in some.:rolleyes:

The big question you should ask yourself when you see the handicapped getting a little goody or two and you think they are on the pig's back is this: Would I like to be in his shoes?:confused:

And when it comes to MS, I'd sooner be healthy and able to walk everywhere. Not even a Rolls-Royce from the social welfare would be much consolation even if it made life a bit more bearable.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

My Mum has had MS for almost 30 years as well, and thankfully has never needed to avail of these "perks". She has been mostly well and able to get around but fatigue is a major issue for her. If you didn't know her, you'd never think there was anything wrong to look at her. She has been entitled to many things over the last few years, but she has declined them for two reasons:
    -she felt she didn't need them and it would be greedy to avail
    -she was afraid of people like the OP making crass assumptions about her milking the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

hey OP.

Lets be hypothetical for a second.

Imagine I have this pill/injection that will cause you to be tired after only 5-10 minutes of walking, cause you untold pain and will shorten your life by 10-20 years or more.

If i give you the loan of a council house, and the VRT off your car each year, would you take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

Does he get MS Office installed for free too?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

-she felt she didn't need them and it would be greedy to avail
    -she was afraid of people like the OP making crass assumptions about her milking the system.

She was afraid people would agree with her, essentially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Just a quick point in relation to some of the posts

MS is not a fatal disease

while obviously it can affect people quite badly and leave them debilitated, it does not kill.

Symptoms vary from person to person and I am in no way belittling the impact of this terrible disease, but just thought I would point that out given some of the statements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

To basically sum up the OP:
    Cousin: Y u no die yet??

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Show me here where anyone gets a free house.

Thank fcuk he didn't go around "tuk er jobs"ing, otherwise you'd be in a real pickle.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Show me here where anyone gets a free house.

Thank fcuk he didn't go around "tuk er jobs"ing, otherwise you'd be in a real pickle.

Ans I hope people don't miss this bit:
    Please note: People with MS may be entitled to some of the following benefits - however many of these are means tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

MS? MS? the lucky ba$tard. The nights I've lain awake, dreaming about having MS. Some people have all the luck!*

*http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/77354

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Post's like this depress me because it reminds me that there is still too much sad, poor thinking wally's in the world.

Riskymove wrote: »
    Just a quick point in relation to some of the posts

MS is not a fatal disease

while obviously it can affect people quite badly and leave them debilitated, it does not kill.

Symptoms vary from person to person and I am in no way belittling the impact of this terrible disease, but just thought I would point that out given some of the statements

Very true, bur there are worse things than death IMO

She was afraid people would agree with her, essentially?

Well yes and no.

My mother suffers from Remitting/Relapsing MS and as I said, most of the time, on the outside she looks perfectly fine but inside she's suffering and she pushes herself far too hard- her rationale being that she's afraid if she ever stops she'll never get started again. We are not a "well-off" family, we're getting by but it's damn hard work, we never really had a break of it during the Celtic Tiger. We could've gotten grants for home improvements, she could've gotten a medical card, and free travel but she declined them all. She has scrimped and saved to afford VHI in case things got worse quickly (which they did recently), she drove everywhere even though she finds it draining. She could get a disabled parking disc but in her mind, that would be a mortifying admission of her illness. Instead if she's not able to face driving in to Dunnes to do the shopping or whatever, she'll either get it delivered or get one of us to go in for her. She could buy a modified/automatic car and get the rebate, but once again, has declined as she feels it would be an admission of failure.

Basically, the woman has pride and integrity. I know quite a few of her fellow sufferers in the area and they are the same. I'm glad she's not on boards as she'd find this thread very upsetting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

As far as I'm aware no such scheme exists. I think specially modified cars for people with a disability don't have to pay VRT on vehicles, but that's about it.

True. Vrt and motor tax are the only freebies. Wonder what else in the op's post is a figment of their jealous imagination.

Edit.... Forgot to add that VAT is also refundable on fuel, up to a max of about 2,000 ltrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Oh my God, I feel like crying.

I was diagnosed with MS a year and a half ago (aged 27).
    I had to give up my job due to the symptoms I suffered with and am still off work now, trying to find a suitable job for me to do in my career area.
    Just because I may not LOOK like I am struggling does not mean I am not.
    My close family and friends are the only ones who have an insight into how I ACTUALLY am, and even then, I would only tell them about 80% of my ongoing issues as not to bore them to tears with my moans!

I have had people tell me of all these magical benefits I can get that their friend's mother's sister's brother's gardener gets, (free cars, houses, cleaners, free bills, etc.).
    Although I have days where I feel ashamed to have to claim Illness Benefit, I have looked into other welfare allowances, and trust me, they are not easy to get. I am living hand to mouth at the minute and am not entitled to any other assistance.

If your uncle gets all these benefits, it is because he is entitled to them. I can gaurentee that every morning, he wakes up struggling to have the most "normal" day possible.

I want to curse at you, OP, but don't want the ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Surely a satirical swipe at all the anti-benefits-no-matter-what mong threads?

Hopefully, otherwise the implications are... unpleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hopefully OP, if MB (Multiple Begrudgery) is ever recognised as an incurable disease by the State, you too will get all the financial benefits to go along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I'd rather have my health than any amount of money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement