Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have a cousin who has MS for almost 30 years, get all the perks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Only in AH would ya see someone complaining about someone having a disability. Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I dunno what to say. He can get around the place without a wheelchair. He gets a free car of the state every 2 years, and this ain't no cheap model, its worth around €20,000. It is the latest year too, brand spankingly new. Completely free, every 2 years without fail.

He got a big massive vehicle for getting him around, despite him only using it for going to the pub. It is intended for people who can't walk, you could label it an electric wheelchair but this thing is more like a vehicle. It has it's own steering wheel, I say it cost by itself over €20,000. He uses it on the footpath as it isn't for the road, though it's much too big for the footpath IMO. He got a house from the state which would have been worth around €300,000 during the boomtime and he got a garage put in the side just for this vehicle/electric wheelchair.

I know it is extraordinary for a person to live for 30 years with MS, but he is looking well. As I said, he only uses the car/electric wheelchair to go to the pub, othertimes he uses a crutch. He walks without support to and from his car. He walks around his own house with no support. Thought ye feel this a bit too much though. as I said, over €20,000 IMO for the thing that gets him around, new car every 2 years. I'm certain he gets more than the standard disability allowance every week.

You're not here a wet week and you're starting welfare threads?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

OP if you started this thread by talking about your cousin with MS who is neglected by the state and doesn't get enough help...all the thanked replies would be stuff like "what makes this man so special". "theres a lot in the same boat". Most people on boards are a bit thick. If they lived next door to your cousin they'd bitch about what he gets from the state etc....but it's your turn to be taken down a few pegs today. Sorry about that.

They wouldn't because he doesn't get a free car every 2 years, as has been established within this thread.

OP is full of **** tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I really am getting sick to my balls of these trolling threads in AH, nearly as bad as Samantha Brick in the Daily Fail.

On a serious note, MS is a fucking rotten disease to have and if you knew how bad it really is OP you wouldn't have started a retarded fuck bag thread in AH about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

They wouldn't because he doesn't get a free car every 2 years, as has been established within this thread.

OP is full of **** tbh.

Also, if you have MS you're not allowed to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

El Siglo wrote: »
    I really am getting sick to my balls of these trolling threads in AH, nearly as bad as Samantha Brick in the Daily Fail.

On a serious note, MS is a fucking rotten disease to have and if you knew how bad it really is OP you wouldn't have started a retarded fuck bag thread in AH about it.

THANK YOU!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Not true, Mum's been driving for the past 30 years. She has to have her vision checked now and again but apart from that, no issues that I'm aware of.

That's not true.

Everyone with MS has different symptoms, some may affect your ability to drive, but not all. It also depends on what type you have. I have RRMS (Relapsing Remitting MS). It effectively means I get sick, I get better, I get sick, I get better, and so on. I drive, but it's common sense that I don't operate a car if I have a symptom that renders this unsafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Bambi wrote: »
    You're not here a wet week and you're starting welfare threads?

Jesus wept.

Well he's been here longer than that. Used to be CorkMan but got banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Renn wrote: »
    Well he's been here longer than that. Used to be CorkMan but got banned.

He's from cork too? Christ. Can we just ban cahrk IP addresses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,480 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If he has MS, Ive no issue with all he gets from the state. I certainly wouldnt swap with him. I do however have a problem with many of the thousands of free cars that are being given out. I see them all around me. People will argue that you need a primary medical cert and that you dont get these without good cause. They will also argue that its not a free car.
    On the medical cert, I dont know how some of these old people are getting the cert but they are getting them and little or nothing wrong with them apart from being old. Its so bad locally that if you happen to have an old relative and you are so inclined as to go about it, you will get the free car.
    In relation to it being free, sure you have to come up with the initial cost less vat and vrt however, every two years, depending on car, the vrt and vat reduction will more than cover the upgrade cost and that is a hell of a deal in my book. If you have a reasonable car to start with, it then results in a free upgrade every 2 years. Indeed I know of a chap who at 2 years swapped for a car of equal value and got cash back. I think that involved a bit of a dodge by the dealer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

OP,
    see if they give free cars for trollitis and BS syndrome.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dudess wrote: »
    Course we should when a person doesn't have a disability.

Or isn't old. Or isn't young. Or isn't able to do the puppy dog eyes face. Far too many sacred cows when it comes to benefits. (Yes I know the original post is a troll by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I remember when trolls used to put some effort into their work, and make their nonsense semi-plausible.
    You'd actually admire the the best ones, even if they caught you out.

But it seems the modern troll just doesn't put in the effort, and spouts obviously fake outrage over reasonable things they know will offend and annoy people, and out-and-out lies.

0/10 OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I'm not very bothered, I just felt like making this thread for everyone to see what this man gets for free. I feel it is excessive.

You must be trolling over here, aren't you? I'm sure everyone with MS would swap all the perks they get for a couple of years of being absolutely healthy. Your health is the most important thing in the world, no matter what material things you have.
    If you are not trolling and you really mean this, I actually pity you. Must be a very sad and limited life.

• Advertisement

haminka wrote: »
    You must be trolling over here, aren't you? I'm sure everyone with MS would swap all the perks they get for a couple of years of being absolutely healthy. Your health is the most important thing in the world, no matter what material things you have.
    If you are not trolling and you really mean this, I actually pity you. Must be a very sad and limited life.

I'd imagine that applies if he's trolling or not. It must be sad to think you can only get attention from other people by pissing them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

mickdw wrote: »
    If he has MS, Ive no issue with all he gets from the state. I certainly wouldnt swap with him. I do however have a problem with many of the thousands of free cars that are being given out. I see them all around me. People will argue that you need a primary medical cert and that you dont get these without good cause. They will also argue that its not a free car.
    On the medical cert, I dont know how some of these old people are getting the cert but they are getting them and little or nothing wrong with them apart from being old. Its so bad locally that if you happen to have an old relative and you are so inclined as to go about it, you will get the free car.
    In relation to it being free, sure you have to come up with the initial cost less vat and vrt however, every two years, depending on car, the vrt and vat reduction will more than cover the upgrade cost and that is a hell of a deal in my book. If you have a reasonable car to start with, it then results in a free upgrade every 2 years. Indeed I know of a chap who at 2 years swapped for a car of equal value and got cash back. I think that involved a bit of a dodge by the dealer though.
    I didn't think that this thread could possibly contain a more retarded post than the OP.

Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

OP I am of the right and this does not bother me, I know enough "well" abled bodies who milk the system and they get all my outrage. Some of them are unreal, just met one who is off to the pub.

Yes at this hour he must be parched, he did ask me if I wanted to join him, but I can't afford to I fkucen work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Stark wrote: »
    Or isn't old. Or isn't young. Or isn't able to do the puppy dog eyes face. Far too many sacred cows when it comes to benefits. (Yes I know the original post is a troll by the way).

It's not so much sacred cows are these threads normally highlight a big gulf of understanding as to what people actually get on certain benefits. As such it ends up being an argument about hypothetical or "I heard" or sometimes just made up rubbish.

It's practically impossible to have a proper discussion around the concept of benefits and that actual practical application of them because people don't want that...you have a few heads who roll out the bull**** and it tends to instantly spin a threads direction towards the hyperbolic and hysterical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Tune in next time on 'everyone hates op,' same bat time, same bat channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I dunno what to say. He can get around the place without a wheelchair. He gets a free car of the state every 2 years, and this ain't no cheap model, its worth around €20,000. It is the latest year too, brand spankingly new. Completely free, every 2 years without fail.

He got a big massive vehicle for getting him around, despite him only using it for going to the pub. It is intended for people who can't walk, you could label it an electric wheelchair but this thing is more like a vehicle. It has it's own steering wheel, I say it cost by itself over €20,000. He uses it on the footpath as it isn't for the road, though it's much too big for the footpath IMO. He got a house from the state which would have been worth around €300,000 during the boomtime and he got a garage put in the side just for this vehicle/electric wheelchair.

I know it is extraordinary for a person to live for 30 years with MS, but he is looking well. As I said, he only uses the car/electric wheelchair to go to the pub, othertimes he uses a crutch. He walks without support to and from his car. He walks around his own house with no support. Thought ye feel this a bit too much though. as I said, over €20,000 IMO for the thing that gets him around, new car every 2 years. I'm certain he gets more than the standard disability allowance every week.

Do you know anything about ms?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Do you know anything about ms?

I'm certain he doesn't but he could write a book about nasty trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jaysus, such a thing to be getting worked up over. I'm sure the only reason your cousin has this life-limiting, debilitating and potentially terminal disease is to spite you. ffs like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Why do so many posters seem to believe that the State is giving people cars free?:confused:

An MS sufferer still has to buy the car, but is exempted from certain taxes. In other words, the State does not give, but chooses not to take. It loses little if anything, because many MS sufferers would not be able to get a car at all if they had to pay the nomal taxes. :)

And if it gives people a little mobility, why not? Some of them may be able to work and pay taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah I thought this was satire too :confused:

The use of mong was unnecessary imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

ElleEm wrote: »
    Oh my God, I feel like crying.

I was diagnosed with MS a year and a half ago (aged 27).
    I had to give up my job due to the symptoms I suffered with and am still off work now, trying to find a suitable job for me to do in my career area.
    I'm really sorry that you have had to read this sh1te :( Please know that the vast majority of right thinking people would not share the OP's views.

The OP goes on about "all the perks" but as everyone knows there have been lots of cutbacks in the health service in recent years and this has resulted in many MS suffers failing to qualify for medical cards despite having a longterm condition. I personally think that is disgraceful.

ElleEm, I wish you all the very best :)

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm really sorry that you have had to read this sh1te :( Please know that the vast majority of right thinking people would not share the OP's views.

The OP goes on about "all the perks" but as everyone knows there have been lots of cutbacks in the health service in recent years and this has resulted in many MS suffers failing to qualify for medical cards despite having a longterm condition. I personally think that is disgraceful.

ElleEm, I wish you all the very best :)

Thanks!

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Why do so many posters seem to believe that the State is giving people cars free?:confused:

An MS sufferer still has to buy the car, but is exempted from certain taxes. In other words, the State does not give, but chooses not to take. It loses little if anything, because many MS sufferers would not be able to get a car at all if they had to pay the nomal taxes. :)

And if it gives people a little mobility, why not? Some of them may be able to work and pay taxes.

Actually, grants of up to €5,000 are available on a means tested basis to certain people with disabilities.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/transport_and_disability/motorised_transport_grant.html

My friend says he heard about this black Polish guy in a wheelchair who wanted to get on the bus (with his free pass) but the driver said there was no room for the wheelchair so the guy just got up out of it, no bother, and hopped on the bus. The driver said "What about your wheelchair?" and he replied "It's ok, the HSE and Social Welfare will give me a new one each. I also have a spare one at home."

He got off the bus right outside the Social Welfare office and went in and went right to the top of the queue shouting something in Polish which my friend reckons meant "ME FIRST!!" They served him straight away and gave him a big wad of cash without him having to show any ID. He was then picked up outside by a new black Mercedes being driven by a guy my friend says he'd seen begging in the street, and they headed in the direction of the airport, probably to go home for a holiday and give the money to his family.

Right, I think that's today's bulls**t quota met, let's move on.

Actually, grants of up to €5,000 are available on a means tested basis to certain people with disabilities.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/transport_and_disability/motorised_transport_grant.html

MS is not always seen as a disability by the Powers though. That's where loads of hassle starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Man if I had MS I'd hope no one would begrudge me for going to the pub and not sitting in alone every night.

It's not his fault that there are benefits there I do believe some aspects of the welfare system arseways, there are an extremely small amount of payments or replacements that are given that seem like they can be more cost effective whilst most areas are severely underfunded and have been cut already, a lot of waste indeed my doctor gets paid by me having a medical card when I havent seen him in years when I wish that money was paid only when I see him not for being on his books and to a dentist for me instead!

MS is not always seen as a disability by the Powers though. That's where loads of hassle starts.

Ah yeah I know, I was just pointing out that tax-breaks are not the only thing available to people who are entitled to state support. Like everything else it's decided on a case-by-case basis and not universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

My friend says he heard about this black Polish guy in a wheelchair who wanted to get on the bus (with his free pass but the driver said there was no room for the wheelchair so the guy just got up out of it, no bother, and hopped on the bus. The driver said "What about your wheelchair?" and he replied "It's ok, the HSE and Social Welfare will give me a new one each. I also have a spare one at home."

He got off the bus right outside the Social Welfare office and went in and went right to the top of the queue shouting something in Polish which my friend reckons meant "ME FIRST!!" They served him straight away and gave him a big wad of cash without him having to show any ID. He was then picked up outside by a new black Mercedes being driven by a guy my friend says he'd seen begging in the street, and they headed in the direction of the airport, probably to go home for a holiday and give the money to his family.

This is ridiculous, they should have paid for a taxi. Poor him, I hope he enjoyed his holiday and got a chance to rest.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

My friend says he heard about this black Polish guy in a wheelchair who wanted to get on the bus (with his free pass) but the driver said there was no room for the wheelchair so the guy just got up out of it, no bother, and hopped on the bus. The driver said "What about your wheelchair?" and he replied "It's ok, the HSE and Social Welfare will give me a new one each. I also have a spare one at home."

This man clearly deserved special treatment - the complete absence of swans being eaten indicated he was in dire straits financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fantastic day to be Irish. Bertie and co recieve corrupt payments that influence planning applications and aparantly people with ms are the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,480 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I didn't think that this thread could possibly contain a more retarded post than the OP.

Congratulations.

How so?
    It is at a crazy level at this stage. Grandchildren that live away getting cars for grandfathers and removing the disabled person seat from the car as they have no use for it. The people who are granted the cars dont ever sit in them in alot of cases. Perhaps its down to careless medical people in this area but it really is disgusting. As I said earlier, Ive no issue at all with people who deserve the cars getting these benefits - its actually a great scheme for those people. I have many examples though that would sicken people, well they would certainly sicken anyone who pays their way although people who fraudulently avail of this perk never seem to agree.

Are you happy that this perk is being abused?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You clearly dont understand anything about M.S.

People can live long lives with ms and be semi mobile. The csn have remitions for months/years at a time. The can have days whem they could walk 4km no problem snd the next day the could developp a limp after 5 minutrs snd ne unable to move their legs at all after 15 mins. On top of that they get spasims.
    Just because you dont understand an illness dont assume someone is making a meal of it. I wouldnt wish M.S. on my worst enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

If you had any idea what MS is like to live with, you'd never have written this post.

your health is your health. I've a feeling he'd trade all benefits to live one normal healthly day. count yourself lucky you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Very true..

My cousin was diagnosed 6 years ago, she was in her early 20s, she has been wheel chair bound on occasions when she has been really bad but tries to get around by using crutches although she walks very, very slow. she is married to a wonderful guy for the last 8 years but the chances of her having kids is slim to none.

She lives in the uk so not sure what help she gets...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I dont know whats more shocking the Op's post of the fact some one liked it :eek:

also my mother is severely disabled from ms and im surprised at myself for not just writing loads of abuse at the OP but im guessing he's just an un educated cretin.

mickdw wrote: »
    How so?
    It is at a crazy level at this stage. Grandchildren that live away getting cars for grandfathers and removing the disabled person seat from the car as they have no use for it. The people who are granted the cars dont ever sit in them in alot of cases. Perhaps its down to careless medical people in this area but it really is disgusting. As I said earlier, Ive no issue at all with people who deserve the cars getting these benefits - its actually a great scheme for those people. I have many examples though that would sicken people, well they would certainly sicken anyone who pays their way although people who fraudulently avail of this perk never seem to agree.

Are you happy that this perk is being abused?

If you know about the abuse, report it rather than bitch about it on the boards. Simplez, eh.

Very true..

My cousin was diagnosed 6 years ago, she was in her early 20s, she has been wheel chair bound on occasions when she has been really bad but tries to get around by using crutches although she walks very, very slow. she is married to a wonderful guy for the last 8 years but the chances of her having kids is slim to none.

She lives in the uk so not sure what help she gets...

DLA, Housing Benefit etc and most do get cars. And a host of other benefits.

We provide the car and the support you need so you can enjoy worry-free motoring, including:

A choice of around 2,000 cars
    Insurance, servicing and maintenance
    Full RAC breakdown assistance
    Annual tax disc
    Tyre and windscreen replacement
    60,000 mileage allowance over 3 years
    Many adaptations at no extra cost
    You don't have to drive - you can nominate up to two other drivers

A close family friend in the North has MS. She has her house paid for, a new car every 3 years, car tax, insurance, disability living allowance, carer's allowance for daughter, money for holidays and of course all medical care.

I have seen her many times and never once did it occur to me to be jealous. Few sane people would be.

If it weren't that it could incur a ban, I would suggest that anyone who has such a fcuking miserable, sad and pathetic life that they have time to be unhappy about the 'perks' of disablement, is themselves so severely mentally retarded that they should apply for these 'perks'* themselves.

*A perk is money, goods, or other benefit to which one is entitled as an employee or as a shareholder of a company.
    A perk is not a benefit paid to those unfortunate enough to be disabled in order to try and lessen their suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Very true, bur there are worse things than death IMO

Like knowing, being related to, having an attitude like or worst of all, actually being the OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

bizmark wrote: »
    I dont get these fancy ass perks i just get constant pain and inablity to properly use my arm and leg :( im clearly missing out on the high life here

FREE PAIN!? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dudess wrote: »
    Surely a satirical swipe at all the anti-benefits-no-matter-what mong threads? Wonder whether the OP will be agreed with? Probably will...

TBH there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. There's a lot of MS in my family and I fail to see why there's a need for a car upgrade every 2 years being the most obvious one. They're mainly in NI, judging from the OP we may be as generous this side of the border.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I hope you were trolling and if so, Id give it 6/10 the deductions for getting your ass handed to you over the him getting a free car every 2 years :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

OP I feel your pain

I have an 80 year old father who gets a weekly handout pension and just got a generous grant to have a chairlift and a bathroom conversion, I will not go into the drain on our health service his care is costing.

Like:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: its not that he works or pays taxes to deserve this, he sits at home watching tele, reading books and seeing his grandchildren.

This just simply has to stop.

44leto wrote: »
    OP I feel your pain

I have an 80 year old father who gets a weekly handout pension and just got a generous grant to have a chairlift and a bathroom conversion, I will not go into the drain on our health service his care is costing.

Like:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: its not that he works or pays taxes to deserve this, he sits at home watching tele, reading books and seeing his grandchildren.

Compulsory euthanasia starting now at 65 this year, 66 next year,67 the year after etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

44leto wrote: »
    OP I feel your pain

Love your post, but I bet there will be a few idiots out there who will think you are being serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

feeding time at the zoo I see :D

and OP I hope you get MS.......Primary progressive MS to be more accurate

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement