Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

venting a sewer pipe

• 11-04-2012 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

hi, I need to vent a sewer pipe from one of my toilets where it enters the house. I believe there's a 4 inch collar type fitting that allows me to drill a hole in the pipe and tee it off without actually cutting the pipe and installing a standard 4 inch t piece. Have I got this right? Can anyone tell me what I'm looking for or where to get it? My localhardware didn't know.

thanks

L

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Firstly if the top of the pipe is visable you just take off the lid and fit a 4" durgo valve. No work required.

If the top is not visable you drill as close to the top as possible. Making sure you are well above any water. The attic is the prefered location.

You then buy a strap on boss and 2" insert. You buy a 2" half length and a 2" elbow, You drill a hole in the pipe and you secure the strap on and weld the pipe together like an "L" you then fit a 2" durgo valve to the top op the "L" and put the bottom of the "L" into the strapon.

This is a lot of text. Send me your phone number if you get stuck and i will try to explain it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

Firstly if the top of the pipe is visable you just take off the lid and fit a 4" durgo valve. No work required.

If the top is not visable you drill as close to the top as possible. Making sure you are well above any water. The attic is the prefered location.

You then buy a strap on boss and 2" insert. You buy a 2" half length and a 2" elbow, You drill a hole in the pipe and you secure the strap on and weld the pipe together like an "L" you then fit a 2" durgo valve to the top op the "L" and put the bottom of the "L" into the strapon.

This is a lot of text. Send me your phone number if you get stuck and i will try to explain it better.
    Thanks Joey, the pipe is buried , I've to dig it out. It's a 4" pipe and I'm goin to tee it off and bring it up over gutter level and fit a crows nest. It's the waste pipe from a downstairs toilet. I just didn't want to cut through it to install a tee piece because I thought there's a better solution but I'd also rather not reduce it to 2" as i want to be sure it's properly vented

Thanks

L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Lars wrote: »
    Thanks Joey, the pipe is buried , I've to dig it out. It's a 4" pipe and I'm goin to tee it off and bring it up over gutter level and fit a crows nest. It's the waste pipe from a downstairs toilet. I just didn't want to cut through it to install a tee piece because I thought there's a better solution but I'd also rather not reduce it to 2" as i want to be sure it's properly vented

Thanks

L

2" is the legal size for venting. Also another option if the pipe is buried is to buy a pan connector with a spiggot and tee off this. However you might need to use a waste non return valve.

Its easier than digging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Intrigues me. Don't want to hijack the thread, but...A downstairs toilet was fitted in my place. Waste goes straight to sewer, can be seen entering at manhole in back garden, not submerged. The pipe is open there and filth drops down to main part of sewer, if you get me.

There is no vent. Is this against regs? What issues could this cause?

Advertisement