Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windscreen Washer Blocked

• 11-04-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi,

I've had my car for several years but it seems the previous owner used fairy liquid in the windscreen washer and now they are blocked and won't work at all. It seems that some kind of residue has built up which is blocking the tubes from the inside.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to clear them??

Thanks
    LL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Try using a needle on the nozzle . Twist it around a bit and it will probably free it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would suggest that the issue may be in the bottom of the water resevouir, You might seek someone competent to remove it and clean the end out with a hose.

There are certain cleaners that just make a cloopy goo in the end of the tank blocking the waters exit it also clogs up the micro pump and the impellers cant pass water.

Alternatively as suggested above it may be the the nozzle heads a needle/pin can remove dirt from this.

Also check the connections under the bumper to make sure they are not loose and just spraying water into the engine bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Yes, a needle usually cleared mine. Occasionally, I had to remove the nozzle unit, immerse it in warm water and blow through. You can also reset the squirt angle (technical term) with the needle.
    I found that the cheap windscreen washes, Fairy liquid, drops of vinegar, etc, turned to gel and blocked the nozzles so, now, I use Rainx washer-bottle additive from Mr. Halfords. It doesn't freeze in Irish winters and has "some" beading qualities in rain. No blockages since changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I've already tried the needle\pin but it didn't work. I think the problem is from the inside, tubes blocked or something.

I will bring it to some one and see if they can clean it.

Cheers
    LL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the motor making noise when you pull the lever? If so, disconnecting the hose from under the bonnet and trying it will rule out the jet itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Backtowhite

What car is it?

Recently had this problem with a BMW E46 and the issue was the pump on the water bottle in the engine. It was clogged with dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Had this problem recently. An overnight soak in vinegar sorted it out. Could work for you especially if you use limey water in the water reservoir.

Advertisement