Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Wide Treasure Hunt

Options
  • 11-04-2012 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hey there, I've been planning on doing a Treasure hunt around Dublin for my friends come Summer, but I was wondering if there were any suggestions as to locations where to hide the clues. (They'll be sheets of paper stuck to something. Nothing which someone who's innocently passing by will take.)

The only requirement is that they be semi close to a decent bus system or the luas lines (Not too far out though).

Eg:
    Location - Under the bench in the Vegetable Garden in the Botanic Gardens

Clue to get there: (Doesn't have to rhyme)
    Botany is a wonderful science
    We need plants everyday
    On vegetables, we have a reliance
    So get to the bench, don't delay

Location - Just outside the boarding school which I attend (Near Dundrum)

Clue:
    It's awfully easy to get board when you're a boreder here. Good thing you can always go to Dundrum.

Is that too obscure? Any suggestions, thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

I would keep them all within walking distance of each other. The Botanic Gardens are 8 miles from Dundrum. Who wants to travel 8 miles in the hopes of finding a piece of paper stuck to a bench? What if they get it wrong and go 8 miles in the wrong direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I'd second this :- the cutting down on the distance dramatically.

Maybe limit it to a set defined area like Temple Bar or limit it to a postcode area like say Dublin 2?

Generally if you are doing a treasure hunt type thing you don't really want to be using transport as it adds too much unpredictability. I would have said that a large element of

If you are considering using transport maybe do something like limit it one section of a Luas line?

Also you probably need to make it so that if people get stuck with one clue they can still progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I did a cycling Treasure Hunt one time. Started in Rathmines, ended up in a pub halfway up a mountain. It was good fun. We had all the clues to start off with, and had to find each place along the way. You could skip one and go on to the next if you hadn't a clue what the clue meant. :) I suppose you could get people to take a photo of themselves at each location to prove they were there, and only the team with the full set would be entitled to the prize.

Dunno if they still do it, but Denny's used sponsor a Treasure Hunt on Paddy's Day. I remember walking from the Trocaire shop in Cathedral St, to the National Museum at Collins Barracks, to the George Bernard Shaw house near Synge Street (SCR). We had to appease the kids with chips as they had the legs walked off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Did a photo treasure hunt with some students in the botanic Gardens before. Each team had to get a snap with some or all of the team in the picture with, say the sundial in the rose garden and get back to the start with all ten photos in the quickest time. Could work for you if you gave a list of cryptic clues which they had to first work out & then get to in the quickest time.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

All these ideas are great guys :D I'll put more research into it and get back to y'all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Around TCD or UCD could be good and would not be full of students early september.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Maybe try and get hold of these guys for some ideas.
    http://twitter.com/#!/dublintweasure

I took in part in one 2-3 years ago and it was great fun.
    The clues were great , very cryptic.

It's a treasure hunt via twitter. Clues given over twitter and require you to guess place and get a snap of your team at it.
    Upload pic and get sent next clue.
    All very fluid and dynamic and whoever is organising it can give hints etc if they find people are getting lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Did a treasure hunt on the dart line before. We all got a day rambler ticket and there was a clue for each stop on the dart line, well maybe not each stop, and then the clue was based on something within 5 mins walk of the station, I think then we all met for lunch in the one spot where copious amounts of cheating or collusion occurred, it also gave the organisers a chance to guage if any of the sites/clues were too hard. Worked well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Did a treasure hunt on the dart line before. We all got a day rambler ticket and there was a clue for each stop on the dart line, well maybe not each stop, and then the clue was based on something within 5 mins walk of the station, I think then we all met for lunch in the one spot where copious amounts of cheating or collusion occurred, it also gave the organisers a chance to guage if any of the sites/clues were too hard. Worked well

Advertisement