Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are 1800 / 1890 / 1850 Numbers worth getting for a business?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 9:47am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick question. The place where I am working is thinking of getting an 1850 number for the contact details. The theory behind this is that the Dublin (01) number might put people off if they are calling from Cork, Galway etc.

I can see the logic behind it, but how do people see these nowadays?! the 1800 would be a freephone number, but would people be more inclined to ring these numbers rather then the (01) number?!

Any thoughts?!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Generally older people still seem to believe that 18xx numbers are cheaper than calling National Call numbers but for the majority of Phone packages they now have National numbers as free these days.

18xx were originally designed as "LoCall" numbers from Landlines but now they are very expensive to ring from Mobiles. Calls from mobiles are on the increase while calls from landlines are on the way down.

We have barred all 18xx in the company I'm now working for, we have also barred all 118xx numbers too. We had over 20 different 18xx numbers across the network but there is no need for any of them really so they are all being closed down as speak (two need to be phased out over time).

If you do go down the 18xx route and do all your branding with "Call us on 18xx" you're also stuck with having to do another branding campaign\migration away from the 18xx numbers. If you stay with the national numbers only you don't have to worry about doing re-branding.

I would urge them not too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i have an 1800 myself,all ok from landlines only!
    i found that some offices are blocking 18xx completely,users been unable to call them.

Advertisement