Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Athletics / Running / Triathlon for replying to PM from Moderator

Options
  • 11-04-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I received a warning from RayCun (the moderator in A/R/T) about what he perceived as "uncivil" behaviour in a thread that I started. That's fair enough - it's his job as a mod. I used the report function to report others in the thread that I thought were also being "uncivil".

Raycun then sent me the PM below, saying I'd get a ban if I didn't improve my tone in my "next posts". I didn't post anything after that - this is the first post I've made since then. I replied to Raycun's PM as seen below. He didn't like my PM so he banned me. There were no other replies or posts in between.

I think he was wrong to ban me as he only warned me about my tone in posts, not in a private conversation with him that he started. I think I was right in assuming my tone in a private conversation was not the issue he was talking about and I don't think it warranted a ban even so. He started the private conversation and I wasn't abusive or behaving in any way that would warrant a ban in my opinion.

I'd like the red-card point removed from my account and the ban lifted.

I PM'd Raycun about the ban with the same request before starting this thread as outlined in the guidelines and he said to start the thread.

RayCun wrote:
    Promac wrote:
    RayCun wrote:
    Promac wrote:
    RayCun wrote:
    Reporting other posters for uncivil behaviour?

I gave you the warning, and I'll give you a ban too if your tone doesn't improve in your next posts.

To be clear, I'm not looking to cause trouble - I just wanted some advice on a specific problem. I don't think I was being a dick, I think I was sticking up for myself. But if you're going to give people warnings for not being disney club special friends then dish it out equally. I wasn't the only person in the thread with a lack of smiley faces and e-hugs.

:pac:
    I don't have any e-hugs, but I do have a shiny red card for you.
    Enjoy!

You started the conversation with me - why am I being penalised for replying to you?

I did say
    "I gave you the warning, and I'll give you a ban too if your tone doesn't improve in your next posts."

You are not being penalised for replying. You are being penalised for the tone of your replies.

Note - I am not interested in getting into a pointless argument about this. Serve your ban and learn the lesson or complain to the admins, those are your choices. I won't be responding further.

Here's the PM about the ban before coming here:
    RayCun wrote:
    Promac wrote:
    RayCun wrote:
    Dear Promac,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Being Naughty
    see you in ten days :)

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
    boards.ie

According to the dispute resolution forum I have to send a PM to you first about the ban. Please don't ban me further for following the rules. See here for details:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056584826

You banned me because you said I should watch my tone in further posts. I didn't make any further posts. The only action I had on boards in between that was replying to your private message.

I think that's unjustified grounds for a ban and I'd like the ban removed please. I'll accept your warning about my tone and keep it "civil" in future posts (I'll even avoid your subforum for the duration if you like) but I don't want the red card on my account when I don't think it was fair to receive it.

I disagree.
    Start your Dispute Resolution thread if you like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I'll have a look at this. Might not be straight away though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Morning

I've had a look at this and reviewed the thread and the PM's.

You received several replies to your thread. You may not have agreed with what the posters were saying but there was no need to respond in the tone you did.
    Promac wrote: »
    Sorry if I offended you but I'm looking for a bit more than "it was just a bad day". Obviously.
    Well aren't you amazing! Apologies if I don't know who you are!

I'm grateful to huskerdu for having a stab at it but you really shouldn't be offended if I don't suck up your "sage" advice. As I said, I was looking for something a bit more scientific. If you don't have anything to add feel free to keep it to yourself.
    That is a bull**** statement. There is an explanation for everything and you shouldn't fault me for looking for it.
    Awesome - thanks for your "contributions".

I see these posts as provoking and out of line. However it is your first offence in A/R/T and because of that it will be reduced to a yellow card.

There was never any ban with this infraction and you should be clear to access the forum at any time.

If you agree to this then I will ask Raycun to have the red reduced to a yellow.

Thanks

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I was ok with the yellow card for the posts in the actual thread - I'm not arguing that at all. I was objecting to the red card that RayCun gave me for replying to him in a PM - a private conversation that he started, no-one else could see (and therefore be offended by) and I simply replied to. He didn't give me a chance to earn the red card in the actual forum.

He didn't like what I said to him in private and I got the red card for that - though I don't see what was wrong with my reply to him (it's copied in the OP here). As far as I can see I wasn't being abusive or offensive or uncivil. I think that's a total abuse of his moderator privileges and I hope something will be said to him about it.

Otherwise, thanks for looking into it.

Advertisement