Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid twice the stamp duty on credit card when closed.

Options
  • 11-04-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi all,

After a good few years with AIB credit card I decided to close it, there is no use to me since I have visa debit card with PTSB and it seams that is OK do shopping from Amazon and accepted by PayPal too.
    So, I rang them and said that I have to pay stamp duty €30, for the year 2012. i told them that I have have already been charged with €30 on 2/04/12, they said that that one was for the year of 2011.
    This is the way they do business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,151 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They'll screw ya every way they can!!! I suspect they may be right, though...:mad:

Just a question (and apologies if this is hijacking your thread) - would you be better keeping your CC for big purchases because of the protection it gives you? Even at 30 quid a year (I nearly dropped when I saw that on my statement, I had no idea it was that much), the insurance cover might be worth it.

As I understand it, Visa Debit does not offer the same protection. Am I right, does anyone know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No. It's the way the State does business.
    The charges stated are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Seriously so many threads on this before, worth having a look around. The charge you paid this month is for the year up to 31st Dec 2011. This happens anytime you close an account. You can get a letter from the bank stating you have paid up for the year of 2012 so if you get a card elsewhere they wont charge you the duty for 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

chris85 wrote: »
    Seriously so many threads on this before, worth having a look around. The charge you paid this month is for the year up to 31st Dec 2011. This happens anytime you close an account. You can get a letter from the bank stating you have paid up for the year of 2012 so if you get a card elsewhere they wont charge you the duty for 2012.

Sorry about this. In fact I have searched and found some threads regarding this, but I wanted a fresh and more up to date info....banks do a lot of changes nowadays.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    They'll screw ya every way they can!!! I suspect they may be right, though...:mad:

Just a question (and apologies if this is hijacking your thread) - would you be better keeping your CC for big purchases because of the protection it gives you? Even at 30 quid a year (I nearly dropped when I saw that on my statement, I had no idea it was that much), the insurance cover might be worth it.

As I understand it, Visa Debit does not offer the same protection. Am I right, does anyone know?

You right, I have been with this bank for around 10 years now and very pleased, but due to AIB new charges I wanted to change all stuff to different bank. I did not know that the credit card from AIB can be used with different current account from other bank!

Advertisement