Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which accent do you find most grating?

• 11-04-2012 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I hate them all, but north and south are inexplicably vile.

What about you?

Which accent do you hate the most? 121 votes

North Dub
    0% 0 votes
    South Dub
    38% 46 votes
    East Dub
    38% 46 votes
    West Dub
    1% 2 votes
    Central Dub
    5% 7 votes
    Other -- please specify in thread
    16% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

As in North and South Dublin? You nasty piece of work you:eek:
    But no the southside accent is way worse:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Honk_If_You Hate Dubs

ziggy23 wrote: »
    As in North and South Dublin? You nasty piece of work you:eek:
    But no the southside accent is way worse:D
    #

Poll added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

That scumbag accent in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I like Dublin. A great city which has a great history, particularly the British part of its history. I can't say I hate any of the accents as I have never heard any of them for myself.

But if I must vote, I will go with south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All Dublin accents sounds the same to me.
    To be honest Dubliners all look the same to us Galwegians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The North County Dublin Countryside accent is the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Honk_If_You Hate Dubs

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I like Dublin. A great city which has a great history, particularly the British part of its history. I can't say I hate any of the accents as I have never heard any of them for myself.

But if I must vote, I will go with south.

I envy you! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

1. Cork.
    2. Limerick (knacker)
    3. Dublin (knacker)
    But the Waterford one is fairly bad also, probably on a par with Dublin knacker.

:pac::pac::pac: Mine is kinda in between can vary depending who I'm talking to ie I can be posh when I want to:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

A nasally monotone australian accent.

Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Live in the Co. Down countryside. So no Dublin accent for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Yank accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

So by the accents you mean

North Dublin - The Commitments,
    South Dublin - Bono
    West Dublin - Tallafornia
    Central Dublin - Fair City
    East Dublin - Welsh

Hmm probably have to be West Dublin for me then :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Did your GF run off with a Dub OP? Why the hate?

East Dublin: Glug..glugg....gluuggg:eek:

To my ear, there are really only three distinct accents in Dublin - Northside, Southside and North County. If you're from these areas you'd probably be able to pick out local differences, Balbriggan and Skerries for example but anyone else wouldn't have a clue.

Oh and most grating, Louth of course, always wee Louth.

Is a high pitched Cork accent not way worse than a boring flat Dublin accent?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Cavan accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I don't want to rush to judgement here, but part of me feels the OP doesn't like Dubliners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think I hate most irish accents. I don't mind the Donegal one on a girl.
    Dublin is just irritating though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

In this Poll Southside defo, but worldwide, I'd go with the Ozzie accent, it's minging, so nasal, and whining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

South Dublin - Bono

I think he's a Northsider, but somehow got a visa and moved Southside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Culshie?

Of the Dublin accents the one that really grates for me is the new "American" twang accent, beloved of south Dublin girlies, but not exclusive to them. The "D4" set of either gender suffer can also from it. It's spreading too. Must be that Hills programme or some such. I overheard a couple of young wans in a chipper a few months ago with this abortion of an accent and you would swear they were trying to outdo each other's level of nasal sounds.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Also, fake, put-on, pretend accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What about you?

Where are you from again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No Cork option?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't want to rush to judgement here, but part of me feels the OP doesn't like Dubliners.
    Fierce chip on their shoulders about the Jackeens your Culshies can have. Hotspots for this include Cork and Kerry, though they're so busy hating each other over something called a Gaaaaa pitch that it's easily ignored.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I hate fake accents and bad English and the exaggerated 'south Dublin' (as heard from people who need you to know they're from there, people who aren't from there but went to UCD and 90% of RTE presenters) accent is guilty of both, mostly as a result of adopting grating Americanisms like 'oh my god', and punctuating sentences with like.

Ironically south Dublin is also home of the best English you'll hear in Dublin(in general).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Definitely the New Zealand accent

Lisp and nasal combined

Sounds very homosexual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Hate none.
    If we all sounded the same life would be pretty shiite.

Do like a nice soft donegal accent on a lady tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Inexplicably vile I can live with, still better than how my North County accent is usually perceived....dull and flat:(

• Advertisement

Meath accent, muck savage with a hint of Blanch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

The worst dublin is the knacker dub accent - worst in the country is cork by far. Really hurts my ears. I'd say the flat midlands accent comes after that - (offally/laois accent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

It's less particular accents than particular individuals that grate with me.

For instance those muppets who "dislike certain accents" and cant see past them.

These muppets are everywhere unfortunately, but a bit more prevalent when speaking by keyboard themselves. Makes one wonder what their own accent sounds like.....

humbert wrote: »
    I hate fake accents and bad English and the exaggerated 'south Dublin' (as heard from people who need you to know they're from there, people who aren't from there but went to UCD and 90% of RTE presenters) accent is guilty of both, mostly as a result of adopting grating Americanisms like 'oh my god', and punctuating sentences with like.
    RTE are knocked into a cocked hat by TV3 IMHO. Some of the accents on show there are crrrazy. Particularly though not exclusively among the women presenters/reporters. Really mangled elocution type accents ill fitted on more "common" accents from all over Ireland. That and a surprising amount of them who pronounce "His" as "He's".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Wibbs wrote: »
    I overheard a couple of young wans in a chipper a few months ago with this abortion of an accent and you would swear they were trying to outdo each other's level of nasal sounds.

Abortion of an accent???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Cork without a doubt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I don't like the D4 accent or the "Jaysis"/knacker type accent. There is one I kinda like, it's just a more neutral type accent but I've only heard it in Dublin, on people that I know personally, can't think of anyone famous with it. Seems to be a more traditional type accent not really influenced by knackers or the USA.

Best accent I think personally in Ireland is the Donegal one, and worst is the DRAWDHA accent. I was chatting to some girls from Drogheda for 2 minutes at Oxegen last year and just couldn't handle the accent! It was awful!

I quite like northern English accent too (Scouse, Mank, Yorkshire and Geordie), but some London accents on girls are unbelievably sexy ;)

TBH the only accent I can't abide is a fake one. Your accent is a fossil record of who you are and where you hail from. In losing that you often lose more than the accent. A short term ex girlfriend of mine had one of those "D4" accents. When I met her parents I was surprised to find they had very strong Cork accents and a lovely version of the accent at that. They sounded great, she sounded like a fake pseud TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

RTE are knocked into a cocked hat by TV3 IMHO. Some of the accents on show there are crrrazy. Particularly though not exclusively among the women presenters/reporters. Really mangled elocution type accents ill fitted on more "common" accents from all over Ireland. That and a surprising amount of them who pronounce "His" as "He's".

I haven't seen TV3 but I know what you mean. Some pretty strong, and fairly agreeable, rural accent attempting a 'proper' (south Dublin bastardisation) accent. It's like watching someone stumbling across a field in heels and a cocktail dress.

Giselle wrote: »
    Abortion of an accent???
    Just an expression. "Jayzus it was an abortion of a thing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

You ought to know better than to watch TV3. It's like admitting to buying 'The Sun' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

HONK IF YOU HATE DUBSTEP

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I actually find it pretty amazing that an island this small has such a wide range of accents. Many of which are pretty distinct, rather than just subtle differences.

For the record none of them grate me, but I do find some harder to understand than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

HONK IF YOU HATE DUBSTEP
    HONK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

HONK IF YOU HATE DUBSTEP

*HONK*

humbert wrote: »
    It's like watching someone stumbling across a field in heels and a cocktail dress.
    :D nail on the head. It just sounds wrong and fake and pretentious. Like those who put on a specific "telephone voice". Could never see the logic in it, beyond showing up you insecurities with every word. Like I say very very few Irish accents are grating to me. It's the fake ones that grate. Though the Bray accent can be a really odd one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The Cork accent, obviously. The Dundalk accent is... no, wait, the Dundalk accent is fine, as are its people. Sophisticated, intelligent and they even have running water and toilet paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

HONK IF YOU HATE DUBSTEP

WIB WIB WIB WIB WUB WUB WUB...

awec wrote: »
    I actually find it pretty amazing that an island this small has such a wide range of accents. Many of which are pretty distinct, rather than just subtle differences.
    +1. In Dublin alone I can think of three distinct accents. The OP's poll suggests more. In a pretty tiny city that's odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I find the OP's accent extremely irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

dwathida.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement