Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which accent do you find most grating?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Other. Scouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Cork without a doubt

Ah c'mere boy, there's a world of difference between the soft lilt of a Jack Lynch and a "Aw now sham, gup to the bookies there bubbila?" merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

I think a lot of people outside of Dublin can't seem to grasp that there is an accent that doesnt fit into any of the sterotypical Dublin categories. Where I live, most people have a normal Dublin accent.

You wouldnt think their posh, you wouldnt think their scum but you would know they are from Dublin and I think most Dubliners fall into that category to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

If you culchies hate us Dubs and the accent so much why are there hundreds of thousands of you residing in Dublin city? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I think a lot of people outside of Dublin can't seem to grasp that there is an accent that doesnt fit into any of the sterotypical Dublin categories. Where I live, most people have a normal Dublin accent.

You wouldnt think their posh, you wouldnt think their scum but you would know they are from Dublin and I think most Dubliners fall into that category to be honest

The Edge type accent, fairly neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

The North County Dublin Countryside accent is the worst

:mad:

Although it pains me to say this, you're absolutely right.

Edit: But only because it sounds like the Louth accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I find any strong accent annoying to listen to, luckily most people aren't too bad. But as for which I find most grating... hmmm probably Cork, it just makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

IrishAm wrote: »
    If you culchies hate us Dubs and the accent so much why are there hundreds of thousands of you residing in Dublin city? :confused:

Stealing your jobs and your wimmins

Donegal accent, swoon. It's just gorgeous
    I prefer to focus on the nice accents then the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Firstly, did you poll the hundreds of thousands of us and get that answer, or are you going by some AH trolls for this assumption?

Secondly, referring to the vast majority of us who don't hate Dubliners by a term of abuse, which 'culchie' is whether you like it or not, doesent really help, does it?

How would you like it if I referred to all Dubliners as 'dub skangers' ?
    Not very much I'd imagine, but then, that wouldn't happen, because I'm not ignorant. Neither are most Dubliners, but there's always one.

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Stealing your jobs and your wimmins

You are welcome to the women. :)

How does one steal a job?

The vast majority of property developers registered with NAMA are culchies.

They are obsessed with land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

As always with these threads i'd advise the ignorant to head to the Northside and go to Clontarf, Raheny, Howth, parts of Drumcondra (Griffith Ave etc) Malahide, Portmarnock, Sutton, Glasnevin etc and you'll find that almost nobody speaks like they're from the Commitments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

In Dublin definitely the knacker accent and D4 accent. It's amazing that there is such a huge difference with accents in such a small city.

Knacker: "eare Tasha ya muppit, I'm goin ta da bleedin Londis ta get 20 bleedin Johnny blues, de ya want me ta rob ya antin wile I'm dare?"

D4: "Natasha dear, I'm lioke going to lioke Donnybrook Fair lioke to pick up some Marlboro Lights lioke, can I get you anything on my platinum card while I'm there lioke?"

Outside of Dublin, any accent that uses the word "Ye" instead of "You". That drives me f**king mad and absolutely reeks of 'Look at me, I'm a thick bogger'! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Honk_If_You Hate Dubs

No prizes for guessing where the posters who selected the 'other' option hail from.:pac:

I sometimes wish I had been deaf from birth -- a small price to pay for never having to hear such a despicable cacophony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Oh and most grating, Louth of course, always wee Louth.

Pfft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Well said. When a country person hears i'm from north Dublin i hear "Ah sure you don't sound like a northsider. I thought you'd sound like you're from Tallaght not the southside" :rolleyes: Need i say more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Dublin - the Dort accent.

anywhere else - the West Limerick attempt at speaking English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It's that North West Central Dublin accent that gets me. Can't stand hearing someone from Stoneybatter or Cabra giving it large:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cassElliot

the west of Ireland accents. god awful...

its a fuc.king sandwich, not a sangwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

All towns and cities have good and bad accents, it depends on education levels really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

TheTwiz wrote: »
    You do realise Bono is from North Dublin & that Fair City is meant to be set in North Dublin not Central Dublin don't you?

As always with these threads i'd advise the ignorant to head to the Northside and go to Clontarf, Raheny, Howth, parts of Drumcondra (Griffith Ave etc) Malahide, Portmarnock, Sutton, Glasnevin etc and you'll find that almost nobody speaks like they're from the Commitments.

I applaud you for taking my post seriously. I thought the Welsh accent in East Dublin would give it away but apparently not :D

I gave a stupid answer to a stupid thread. The end. :cool:

TheTwiz wrote: »
    Well said. When a country person hears i'm from north Dublin i hear "Ah sure you don't sound like a northsider. I thought you'd sound like you're from Tallaght not the southside" :rolleyes: Need i say more

You should be grateful that anyone outside of your cesspit of a county even talks to you.

If a dub tries to spew their bile in my face -- ie talk to me-- I punch them on the nose. And that includes women and children.

BONK!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just wondering if anyone would like to specify which of the Louth accents they hate. Is it the General Dundalk one? Or the Cooley one that's more like a Donegal accent? Or the half of Dundalk and north county that just sound generic Northern? Or Ardee Hi? Or the ones that are more like Monaghan accents? Or the Drawda one which is really a Meath accent?

:pac:

I applaud you for taking my post seriously. I thought the Welsh accent in East Dublin would give it away but apparently not :D

I gave a stupid answer to a stupid thread. The end. :cool:

You forget to update your location setting, let me help you:

Dublin.

Or C-u-ntville.

Both are accurate. :pac:

One day you culchies will realise that us Dubs genuinely couldn't care less about what country folk think of us. It's always been the rest of country uniting against us in culchieness, but the fact that you all feel the need to do that tells me that you feel slightly inferior for some reason. There's no need for it, as I said, we don't give a sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Armagh accent is lovely..

South Monaghan, Louth, Cavan, and some Donegal... YUK YUK YUK!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

If I was in government I would make it my policy to stamp out the Dublin knacker accent. The way those people mangle the english language. Elocution lessons for the masses I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

if this thread was started about any other county in the country it would have been closed already...

You forget to update your location setting, let me help you:

Dublin.

Or C-u-ntville.

Both are accurate. :pac:

Actually my current location is in England :eek:

Shame you had to say that because what you previously said was really funny.
    You should be grateful that anyone outside of your cesspit of a county even talks to you.

If a dub tries to spew their bile in my face -- ie talk to me-- I punch them on the nose. And that includes women and children.

BONK!:mad:

:D

Still hope you stick around because at least you're entertaining. Not one of the staunch liberal atheists that hunt around in packs on this forum who hound out anybody who's remotely different to them. At least you have something genuine to say ;)

Actually my current location is in England :eek:

Shame you had to say that because what you previously said was really funny.

:D

Still hope you stick around because at least you're entertaining. Not one of the staunch liberal atheists that hunt around in packs on this forum who hound out anybody who's remotely different to them. At least you have something genuine to say ;)

When deciding my username it was a coin toss over Dubs and Catholics.

If you're attempting to recruit a christian ally, think again.

• Advertisement

When deciding my username it was a coin toss over Dubs and Catholics.

If you're attempting to recruit a christian ally, think again.

Well aren't you just delightful?

I can handle myself just fine on this forum thank you very much.

Honk if You Hate Catholics eh? You don't happen to live on the Shankill Road do you? :pac:

Well aren't you just delightful?

I can handle myself just fine on this forum thank you very much.

Honk if You Hate Catholics eh? You don't happen to live on the Shankhill Road do you? :pac:

I hate all religions, but Catholics perpetual support for an institution that covers up child abuse, rampant corruption and grandiosity is overwhelmingly repugnant in my view.

Ugh, the mention of both Catholics and Dubs in one thread is too much, I feel woozy.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Raekwon wrote: »
    It's amazing that there is such a huge difference with accents in such a small city.

Well, I hate both too but at least the knacker accent is more natural. The D4 accent seemed so affected, like D4 residents and wannabe D4 residents decided 20 or 30 years ago that they didn't want to talk the same as the proles.
    Raekwon wrote: »
    Outside of Dublin, any accent that uses the word "Ye" instead of "You". That drives me f**king mad and absolutely reeks of 'Look at me, I'm a thick bogger'! :mad:

Pretty much everyone from the country says that so that's a hell of a lot of people to brand thick boggers. It's even in the boards.ie tagline!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Pfft, its Cork by a mile. Horrendous, whiny and always shouted. I was staying in a B&B in West Cork after a wedding a couple of years ago. I came down for breakfast and I genuinely couldnt understand a word of what the bean an ti was saying to me. She had to repeat every sentence about 3 times before I got my full Irish.

Honourable mention to the Drogheda drawl also.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Pfft, its Cork by a mile. Horrendous, whiny and always shouted. I was staying in a B&B in West Cork after a wedding a couple of years ago. I came down for breakfast and I genuinely couldnt understand a word of what the bean an ti was saying to me. She had to repeat every sentence about 3 times before I got my full Irish.

Honourable mention to the Drogheda drawl also.

The Irish forum is that way, Dubski! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Irish accents don't annoy me except if they are high pitched northern ones, I hate any low drawny or high pitched accents for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

oh my god Saa where did you find that "forever21" clip. @1:40 I seriously want seriously the last 2 mins of my life seriously back. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Honk_If_You Hate Dubs will be taking an indefinite break from boards. We wish whatever site he next chooses to share his intellect with the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Ah c'mere boy, there's a world of difference between the soft lilt of a Jack Lynch and a "Aw now sham, gup to the bookies there bubbila?" merchant.

I'm well aware there's different Cork accents. They're all horrible.

Annoying, as I seem to bump into a lot of Cork people in Dublin and it seriously reduces my options :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

One day you culchies will realise that us Dubs genuinely couldn't care less about what country folk think of us. It's always been the rest of country uniting against us in culchieness, but the fact that you all feel the need to do that tells me that you feel slightly inferior for some reason. There's no need for it, as I said, we don't give a sh*t!
    If you don't give a sh1t what's the whinging post about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I really don't dislike any Irish accent -but I'd swap a Glaswegian skanger(we call them neds) for a Dublin one;) I have a strange Scottish/East Donegal kind of lilt but if I'm home for a week or more out comes the Donegal accent which lasts 'till I go back to Scotland, much to the surprise of workmates and friends who don't know me so well but give me a few day's and I'm back to my hybrid accent:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I find it even funnier when I hear some Dubs going on about "boggers" and the like when they themselves are the first or second generation Dubliners of rural extraction. Of my close mates only one I can think of has family going back in Dublin more than three generations and I don't think I've ever heard him take the piss out of rural folks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

You haven't lived 'til you've heard a recording of your own voice. Next time you have friends over stick your phone on record for 5min, works best after you've had a few drinks and your real accent comes out.

You'll be shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

The Monaghan accent annoys me, so it does. I find it a bit irritating, so I do.

In contrast, my own S.Dub. accent is like OMG, so, like, resonant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Nigerian/Dublin accent

Jesus, too damn loud...mostly shouting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Muckie wrote: »
    Nigeian/Dublin
    no idea what your talking about! Nigeian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Anyone remember that ad for Vodafone I think. A guy flirting with a girl in a bar. He's about to walk over when her boyfriend turns up. The girl walks past the guy and drops her number on his table. later they're both at their respective homes and the guy calls the girl. When she hears his culchie accent, she hangs up.

I always loved that ad :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I like Dublin. A great city which has a great history, particularly the British part of its history. I can't say I hate any of the accents as I have never heard any of them for myself.

But if I must vote, I will go with south.

What, like opening fire on punters in Croker?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

Cos they hate the Polish accent in Dungarven even more :pac:

Wibbs wrote: »
    I find it even funnier when I hear some Dubs going on about "boggers" and the like when they themselves are the first or second generation Dubliners of rural extraction. Of my close mates only one I can think of has family going back in Dublin more than three generations and I don't think I've ever heard him take the piss out of rural folks.

Did you grow up in a relatively new housing estate(post1960s)?

That would explain it. I have no family outside of Dublin. Which was a pity, as I didnt get school holiday trips to exotic hotspots such as Tralee or Nenagh. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement