Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which accent do you find most grating?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Zulu wrote: »
    oh my god Saa where did you find that "forever21" clip. @1:40 I seriously want seriously the last 2 mins of my life seriously back. Seriously.

Really did the first 5 seconds now give it away, this is the crap Youtube promotes now and keeps sticking on the side of my homepage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

All dub accents the same to me tbh.
    One thing I will say in their favour, at least they'll try and be understood with good pronunciation and grammar while they're abroad. A shining light to our culture and heritage.

Giz tray lagerand2voddysuds deeere jaaaaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

IrishAm wrote: »
    Did you grow up in a relatively new housing estate(post1960s)?

That would explain it. I have no family outside of Dublin. Which was a pity, as I didnt get school holiday trips to exotic hotspots such as Tralee or Nenagh. :pac:

Or the beautifull unspoilt Donegal beaches:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

English, especially London, Newcastle, Birmingham, Cornwall, Leeds & Manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I dunno which accents relate to where in Dublin. I would describe the Clondalkin/Ratchoole/Tallaght accent as a slightly watered down inner Dublin City accent.
    One girl from Shankhill does sound slightly posher but it's a bit more pleasant on my "culchie" ears.

When I was in college in Limerick there were two Dubs who got an almighty slagging for their accent. Now in Dublin, myself and another girl are at the end of jokes for our accent. People are brave in numbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Indian helpdesk accent or Lucy Kennedy's cnutface accent wherever she is from. I hate her crooked head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Indian helpdesk accent or Lucy Kennedy's cnutface accent wherever she is from. I hate her crooked head.
    Mz Kennedy's accent is one a dem dub accents wrought through the 'neutral grinder' than back through the 'honest dub grinder' pretty horrendous I agree

So fav accents for potential lovers in order of preference.

1. Soft Derry/ Northern.

2. Soft Cork

3. Hard Kerry (Beyond Dingle)

4. Clare (hard or soft)

list of worse accents

1. Louudht

2. Chaaavin/ Naavin (they are equally vile) and wherever that utter dick HECYTHORRRR HI is from

3. Narrth jDhublin

4. Eheast Ghalway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

working with them I can say the south dublin UCD accent on people would make ye go deaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The North County Dublin Countryside accent is the worst
    Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Although it pains me to say this, you're absolutely right.

Edit: But only because it sounds like the Louth accent.
    What?! I think you're overshooting the M1 if you think the North County accent sounds like a Louth one. :eek: I'd say in recent years it's actually the opposite, Meath and Louth accents are becoming more like Dublin due to the expanding commuter belt and migration of people out of the overpriced Dublin property market.

Of all the Dublin accents I'd say it's the most neutral.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone would like to specify which of the Louth accents they hate. Is it the General Dundalk one? Or the Cooley one that's more like a Donegal accent? Or the half of Dundalk and north county that just sound generic Northern? Or Ardee Hi? Or the ones that are more like Monaghan accents? Or the Drawda one which is really a Meath accent?

:pac:
    In order of worst,
    Ardee(Hi!)>>>Dundalk>>>Drawda
    English, especially London, Newcastle, Birmingham, Cornwall, Leeds & Manchester
    London, be a bit more specific - is it the Sarf Laaandan or a Cockney one??
    Birmingham: I'm living in the Midlands and agree!
    Cornwall: On a girl, I think it sounds sexy.:)

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I dunno which accents relate to where in Dublin. I would describe the Clondalkin/Ratchoole/Tallaght accent as a slightly watered down inner Dublin City accent.
    One girl from Shankhill does sound slightly posher but it's a bit more pleasant on my "culchie" ears.

When I was in college in Limerick there were two Dubs who got an almighty slagging for their accent. Now in Dublin, myself and another girl are at the end of jokes for our accent. People are brave in numbers!
    there are some soft lilt city centre old dub accents, but they're rare. very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i find it funnt that the 'northside' accent is found all over the southside and vice versa.
    when you look at a map of dublin there are more working class areas south of the liffey, its just a misconception that the south is more upper class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

There should be an option for all Dublin accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

griffdaddy wrote: »
    It's that North West Central Dublin accent that gets me. Can't stand hearing someone from Stoneybatter or Cabra giving it large:rolleyes:
    Your being sarcastic right? North West Cental Dublin:D
    You should be grateful that anyone outside of your cesspit of a county even talks to you.

If a dub tries to spew their bile in my face -- ie talk to me-- I punch them on the nose. And that includes women and children.

BONK!:mad:
    :pac::pac: Aww what did she do to you? Do you want me to batter her?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Nothing wrong with a South Dublin accent! I have one myself. D4 accent? Yes, annoying. But they're not the same thing!!
    Similarly, not every North side accent is one of a junkie scumbag.

I find that (many) country people just hate all the 'Dublin accents'. Southsiders are automatically D4, and Northsiders are heroin addicts. But then again, I think us Dublin folk ARE also guilty of just labeling every accent outside of Dublin, no matter the county, as a "country accent".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

PEOPLE that are irish that have the dart accent or an accent that sounds half american english, ie they grew up watching satelite tv so its impossible to work out where they were born ,this accent is used by people all over dublin mostly middle class people.ITS so bland it doesnt even sound irish.
    BUT then i read certain english writers went to university ,and developed a posh upper class accent even though they came from salford, birmingham.etc
    AS posted above,theres plenty of people from the southside with a strong dublin accent.
    if you look at old tv programs, the dart accent did not exist in 1980, the southside accent was more like a middle class english accent.There seems to be a wide range of dublin accents,would make a good subject for a radio program.When i came to dublin age 18 i had a country accent, now i have a north dublin accent, it was not a consisous change on my part.i probably just adopted the accent to blend in.

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a South Dublin accent! I have one myself. D4 accent? Yes, annoying. But they're not the same thing!!
    Similarly, not every North side accent is one of a junkie scumbag.

I find that (many) country people just hate all the 'Dublin accents'. Southsiders are automatically D4, and Northsiders are heroin addicts. But then again, I think us Dublin folk ARE also guilty of just labeling every accent outside of Dublin, no matter the county, as a "country accent".
    maybe you heard "country accent", but that's not what was said. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,142 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

The Northern Irish accent is the worst.
    Sorry, but it grates on me so much..
    Also hate the Cork one and the Donegal one.
    Being a Dub, me loves a Dublin accent! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

What scumbag voted against us west Dubs? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

amacachi wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone would like to specify which of the Louth accents they hate. Is it the General Dundalk one? Or the Cooley one that's more like a Donegal accent? Or the half of Dundalk and north county that just sound generic Northern? Or Ardee Hi? Or the ones that are more like Monaghan accents? Or the Drawda one which is really a Meath accent?

:pac:

Haha,Ardee haaai,that always puts a smile on my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

I've actually picked up on the variety of Dublin accents before, I can count at least 6 different varieties!

*North Dublin - thick but actually quite direct and to the point. Not dragged out in any way. Speak quite fast as well. :)
    *North County Dublin - posh and yet somehow not. No pretenses about it.
    *South Dublin (Normal) - well spoken would be the phrase I think. Posh but without that manky adopted accent
    *South Dublin (fake) - aka 'D4'. Perfect example is that Lottie Ryan moron. Can't stand it!!
    *West Dublin - Quite drawn out but fine except when there is with emphasis added by teenagers thinking they're only bleeeeedin massiff!
    *Inner City - Again quite drawn out but with the emphasis on the vowels - think Moore St - fiiiieeve liiig'ers forra euuurooo

You could even divide up the different inner city accents as someone from the Liberties sounds different to someone from Sheriff St!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cork, it's always Cork.

The rest of the turnip munchers all sound the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:(

/cocoons accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Theres loads of different Cork accents. A certain section of people have butchered the accent alright speaking in a sort of nasal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Cork, it's always Cork.

The rest of the turnip munchers all sound the same

Sorry this expression has me in convulsions of laughter. Cheers:pac::pac:

( I'm so ****ing mature:o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

keano_afc wrote: »
    Pfft, its Cork by a mile. Horrendous, whiny and always shouted. I was staying in a B&B in West Cork after a wedding a couple of years ago. I came down for breakfast and I genuinely couldnt understand a word of what the bean an ti was saying to me. She had to repeat every sentence about 3 times before I got my full Irish.

Honourable mention to the Drogheda drawl also.

Dont you DARE sling West Cork in as a Cork accent, thats the Kerry accent you refer to.

Funny how Dubs think everyone outside Dublin is a bogger, when the biggest bogger iv ever met was from County Dublin. Easy for the Dubs not to see their own fields through the big housing estate.

@Xavi6 - Fantastic term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is East Dub actually Welsh?

Love the Welsh accent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I am going to track you down.
    Woo you.
    Make you fall in love with me.
    Marry you
    ---THEN---
    • Play Dublin GAA replays on the tv morning, noon and night.
    • Walk around the house in Dublin GAA gear
    • Vary my accent between North Dublin, Dartline and central Dublin depending on my mood and financial health
    • Replace all of your jumpers with UCD hoodies
    • Hang Dublin GAA bunting from our windows when you come home from work
    • Tune our radios to FM104.
    • Tie your hands, put you in my car which I will paint with Dublin logos, and drive you slowly around the streets of central Dublin with the windows down, honking and waving at all Dubliners we see
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

When I lived in London in the early '80s, after any IRA incident the suspects were always described as speaking with a "soft Irish accent". At the time I didn't quite understand what it meant but when I moved to Ireland I found the Ulster accents (except for Donegal) quite hard in comparison to the more southern areas.

The BBC's political editor at the time was an Ulsterman named John Cole and I remember him being mocked mercilessly by Spitting Image and Private Eye because they claimed that his accent was too difficult to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Cork or Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I'm from West Cork and I find the inner Cork City accent grating. It's how they speak quite quickly and then slow right down as if to prolong the end of sentence.

"Hi-Larry-Boi-hows it gooooooooooooooing"

The fake D4 accents is worse though as these guys are purposely altering their voice to sound half American in some deluded plan to make themselves seem wealthy and sophisticated.

The real Dublin accent I dont find annoying unless very very thick. The West Cork accent i find is almost the bástard love child of the Kerry and Cork County accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Flat midlands accent.

And Dublin howya.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bopidyboo

Imelda Maye's accent is lovely.

Love the Welsh accent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

The dublin accent is a accent of character and humour. Love the border (leinster/ulster) accent. Hate the limerick/clare accent. Hate south dublin ok-sent.
    hate the s/east accent. Cork accent is a joke. Kerry accent is like an incoherent song but is nice. The midlands sounds like travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The Liverpool accent has no sing song quality to it. Just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The East side accent is the worst by far:

'Help! Blublublublub!'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've a mate with a ferocious strong North Tipp accent like think Kilinascully times 100, We do a lot of trips abroad together and I often have to translate what he's saying into plain English to people. One barman in Cologne asked did he speak in a different dialect of English to me, I answered in the affirmative and told him its called culchie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IS an accent fake ,if you parents family speak it, a child will just speak whatever it hears as it grows up.IT has no choice, like if you are born in france ,you learn french,no need to go to school to learn your native language.
    The dart accent sounds to me like an irish version of the bbc 4 accent,
    ie an accent designed to be bland ,non regional , its just says i,m not working class, or a culchie.I,M middle class.
    its like some djs speak in an accent thats totally generic,bland.
    ITS not like everyone on the southside speaks like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

So many accents to hate, so little time...

1. The Moore street type of North Dublin accent. Like a number of people have said, the neutral dublin accent is fine but the "Jaysis boy, 3 ligh-ers fr a youuuuuuuuu-ro" accent is brutal.

2. The D4 pseudo-posh accent where people say "Dort" instead of "Dart"

3. That fake Americanised "yah totally" accent that is affected by a lot of teens.

4. The Cork city accent where it seems like the person will burst into tears at any moment.

5. The Jackie Healy Rae type "Kirry" accent, annoys the crap out of me any time I hear it.

6. There are a few irritating Northern Irish accents, the Caaaaavan accent makes them sound like thickos, the Tyrone accent is completely impenetrable and then there's the weird accent that lots of UTV presenters seem to have where they say "Cointy Doine" instead of "County Down" and "Hoyse" instead of "House".

7. The normal county Wexford accent is fine but there is a particular accent from the Bishops Water part of Wexford town that sounds particularly knackerish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tripe man

"East Dub"

See this is why abortion should be made legal in this country..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

The arklow accent, first heard it when I was in college and thought the girl was from another country altogether, couldnt believe that I hadn't heard the accent in the first 20 years if my life and thought she was just putting on a weird voice, I'm wiser now there are a whole load of people who speak as weird as her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Would people hook up with someone as they found their accent "sexy" but not the person?

Mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

High Pitched West Belfast Whine
    Louth Particularly Dundalk
    Thick Cork
    Any scanger-me-banger type Dublin accent it's as "put on" as the D4 accent if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think the results speaks for themselves, only 30% chose "other".
    OP has left so we'll stop here.

See you all in the next accent thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement