Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice - Changing car keeping costs down !

• 11-04-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all…

Wondering if anyone can help me out with advice on changing cars!

What cars are out there in the €11k bracket with the following;

-Low on petrol or diesel – I do aprox 350km per week and put €40 petrol into my 1.4 car want to stay around that price.

-Low car tax - i currently pay €395 dont want to move too much from that

-5 door

-Big boot

I know I am not asking allot ha ha.. I know its not possiable tick all of the above but was hoping someone might be able to suggest a car in around this guidelines and i can take it from there ?

Anyway thanks in advance for any advice / suggestions you can give me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thread moved from Modified Cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Something without a dpf like a Focus 1.8tdci or a VAG 1.9tdi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Something without a dpf like a Focus 1.8tdci or a VAG 1.9tdi.

Yeh but doing 350 km a week shouldnt the dpf be okay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Are you changing to save money or because you have to?

Changing to save money is a false economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Yeh but doing 350 km a week shouldnt the dpf be okay?

That's quite low mileage. I wouldn't risk a dpf with such low mileage. Of course it all depends on the type of driving - 350km a week would imply to me that the original poster does shorter journeys which would not suit a dpf equipped vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That's quite low mileage. I wouldn't risk a dpf with such low mileage. Of course it all depends on the type of driving - 350km a week would imply to me that the original poster does shorter journeys which would not suit a dpf equipped vehicle.

Yeh sorry I had it in my head 350 miles a week for some reason :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Keep your current car and spend the €€€ on fueling it for the next few years.

Keep your current car and spend the €€€ on fueling it for the next few years.
    And have a holiday and professional valet done on your car to make it feel like new again.

All free.......

• Advertisement

In fairness the OP might want to change their car and just wants a few options on what satisfies their needs :) If I wanted to change cars a holiday etc wouldn't cut the mustard.

RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness the OP might want to change their car and just wants a few options on what satisfies their needs :) If I wanted to change cars a holiday etc wouldn't cut the mustard.
    O hasn't said the car needs to be changed but they want to change to reduce running costs.

The holiday is obviously tongue in cheek

I'm merely presenting the other side, which you have often done, that it can be a false economy if they are just trying to save a coule of euros a week in fuel

Just going by whats mentioned in the OP, they want to replace their own car with, essentially, their own car, yet spend €11k in the process of doing so.

Considering that they don't want to move from the current tax spend or spend any more on fuel, it makes no sense to spend a giant lump of money to have a car that does exactly the same thing as the previous one, you may as well flush the money down the toilet.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    O hasn't said the car needs to be changed but they want to change to reduce running costs.

The holiday is obviously tongue in cheek

I'm merely presenting the other side, which you have often done, that it can be a false economy if they are just trying to save a coule of euros a week in fuel

I don't know where you get the idea they want to save on fuel, they want to spend no more on fuel than they currently do, they also don't want to spend anymore on motor tax :) The OP most certainly has said nothing about changing cars to reduce running costs, they want to keep those costs down, as they are at the moment.
    Just going by whats mentioned in the OP, they want to replace their own car with, essentially, their own car, yet spend €11k in the process of doing so.

So at the moment are they driving a 5 door with a big boot? :)

"changing costs to keep costs down"

It's the thread title in case you missed it RJ :)

CelineOC wrote: »

-Low on petrol or diesel – I do aprox 350km per week and put €40 petrol into my 1.4 car want to stay around that price.

I didn't miss a thing John.

Keeping costs down ;)

thread title is "Advice - Changing car keeping costs down !"

I think the point is, if they're worried about spending money and want to keep costs down, how exactly does spending €11k fit into the equation?

CelineOC wrote: »

I didn't miss a thing John.

Keeping costs down ;)
    I think we need op to confirm as its open to interpretation :) Otherwise it's being dragged completely OT between me and RJ

But in the interests if I'm wrong I'll go and recommend my ever favourite economy car of a Kia Ceed crdi.

Op what have you currently? Are you trading in? Any cars you won't drive for whatever reason?

I think the point is, if they're worried about spending money and want to keep costs down, how exactly does spending €11k fit into the equation?

I think the point is they are changing cars but don't want to spend any more on tax or fuel than they currently do :)

Lots of folk think like that, hence why there are so many modern, fuel efficient, low to tax motors on the road.

I think the point is they are changing cars but don't want to spend any more on tax or fuel than they currently do :)

Lots of folk think like that, hence why there are so many modern, fuel efficient, low to tax motors on the road.
    They've already specified that they understand it's not always possible to tick all the boxes when looking for a car, so if their current one is a decent enough fit - they'd be much better off just keeping it. As I've already said, spending €11k to reduce/keep the same motoring costs makes little sense.

But yes, I think clarification is needed as to if they just want a change of scenery / want something new.

• Advertisement
Advertisement