Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner permit question.

• 11-04-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭

Once I have passed my theory test, I can apply for a learners permit right? How long do they usually take to come and also once I have my learners permit, with 'L' plates on the car, am I legally allowed to practice on the roads with a qualified driver?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Shifty wrote: »
    Any person getting their first learner permit with a start date on or after 4th April 2011 must complete a minimum 12 hours of Essential Driver Training, with an RSA registered Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) before they can sit their driving test. Typically the 12 EDT lessons will be spread over six months and be supported by practice and tuition as required.

http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/News/2011/ESSENTIAL-DRIVER-TRAINING-TO-PROTECT-LEARNER-DRIVERS-TO-BE-INTRODUCED-ON-4TH-APRIL/

Thanks for the reply ,but this doesn't really answer my question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Can't exactly remember but I think you need to be driving on a permit status for 3 months before you can apply for a test. If you fail then you must wait another 10 days before applying again.

Can't exactly remember but I think you need to be driving on a permit status for 3 months before you can apply for a test. If you fail then you must wait another 10 days before applying again.

I have no intention of doing my test until December. But can I legally drive the roads with a learners permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

FinnD wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply ,but this doesn't really answer my question?

After passing your Theory Test, you can apply for your Learner's Permit.

Some more info here: http://www.drivinginfo.ie/Learner_driving_permits_for_cars_and_work_vehicles_in_Ireland.php

Processing times vary as Learner Permits are issued from your local Motor Tax Office.

Car drivers with a learner permit must be accompanied at all times by, and be under the supervision of, someone with a current driving licence for a car. Also, the person accompanying you must have had the driving licence for at least two years.

Any person getting their first learner permit with a start date on or after 4th April 2011 must complete a minimum 12 hours of Essential Driver Training, with an RSA registered Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) before they can sit their driving test. Typically the 12 EDT lessons will be spread over six months and be supported by practice and tuition as required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Once I have passed my theory test, I can apply for a learners permit right? How long do they usually take to come and also once I have my learners permit, with 'L' plates on the car, am I legally allowed to practice on the roads with a qualified driver?
    Thanks.

So long as you have your learner permit, L plates, accompanied by a driver with a full license for at least 2 years, car insurance, car tax and NCT all up to date, then yes it's legal.

• Advertisement

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks.

So long as you have your learner permit, L plates, accompanied by a driver with a full license for at least 2 years, car insurance, car tax and NCT all up to date, then yes it's legal.

Can it be the accompanying drivers insurance (dads) or would I have to get my own insurance just to practice on the learners permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Can it be the accompanying drivers insurance (dads) or would I have to get my own insurance just to practice on the learners permit?

I don't know the full ins and outs of it (got my own car to learn and am insured on that), but you definitely need to make sure you're insured before you get behind the wheel of a car. I think this would involve getting your name put on your dads policy before driving his car, which will probably cost extra (I've heard of people driving uninsured and their plan was that if they had an accident they would just say it was the fully licensed/insured person that was driving the car at the time, but this is insurance fraud and I really wouldn't risk/advise it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can't take out insurance on a car that you don't own. So if you are planning on learning to drive in your dads car then yes, your dad can (and should) add you to his insurance policy. You will be covered under it while driving.

To get the learner permit, you bring in your paperwork (eye exam, passport photos, application form, theory test pass cert etc etc) to your local motor tax office, pay the fee and your permit will be posted out to you. Processing times vary but you should have it in under a week. You can apply by mail too.

Advertisement