Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician breaking his contract

Options
  • 11-04-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

This is a just a rant but if anybody has suggestions on what I should do please do.

Got an electrician to price of a drawing for a refurb/extension. On this drawing had all sockets, tv points, outside lights, etc. Also had listed on the paper a breakdown of room by room. E.g. Ensuite, 3 downlights, shaver light and extractor.

Agreed price with the electrician. I put this down on back of the drawing and he put his name underneath it.

First fix done. In my own stupidity I paid him half contract sum without checking everything.

Bascicially he's missing:
    • 1 outside light
    • Extractor fan in the bathroom and ensuite
    • Only put wire in for half of the under kitchen unit lights (chimney brest blocking other side of U shaped kitchen)
    • Shaver light in bathroom
    So I've asked him to put this right and he is saying that he never priced for any of this and that it will cost an extra €90 to do (I've been supplying materials).

We stood in the kitchen and I said why in the world would I have asked for lights under just one side of the kitchen units and not the other but he said I never asked him for both sides. The ensuite doesnt even have a window so I think under the bldg regs you need an extractor. It was on the drawing yet he maintains I never asked him for it.

I told him that we had a contract and that I wont pay any extra for something he priced for. So he walked off site and wont 2nd fix. Also I paid him €90 for a cert for the ESB to move the meter before 2nd fix is completed because I need the meter moved asap.

So I ring RECI and give out but they don't give a toss unless its a safety issue. They sent me out the form for changing contractor but in addition to getting a new electrician out, they are going to charge me €290 for their inspection.

I'm raging because I'll be well out of pocket just beacause the first electrician wouldn't honour his contract.

I know €90 probably doesen't sound alot to some but even so its the principle of it.

So I don't know whether to give in to him and pay the extra money he is looking or pay RECI and get another guy. Basically don't want to have to do either!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it's not a question for this forum but

he should do whatever he priced for -that's the system

reci don't get involved in contract disputes

it'll prob cost money trying to switch contractors unfortunately,if there's certification and esbn involved in the work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I don't know why your electrician would not just swallow the extra costs here
    After all it's not too large
    Just wonder is he looking at a get out clause
    Perhaps all not done right and he doesn't want to finish it
    Is he a registered contractor

certainly sounds like the electrician is at fault if that's the full story

you have to put in what's on the agreed spec

doesn't sound great if he hasn't bothered to wire for bathroom extraction

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ayeboy

He is a member of RECI.

The only thing I can see wrong from a safety issue is that he has the cable to the electrical oven running at a 45 degree diagonal down the wall from the isolator switch to the back of the oven unit.

But it just galls me that he prices of the same documentation as all other electricians quoting, give whateever price he likes (ensuring he gets the job) and then turn around and says that there were things he didnt price for and walk off. I'm then left out of pocket to pick up the pieces. This cant be how the industry operates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

M cebee wrote: »
    certainly sounds like the electrician is at fault if that's the full story

For an electrician to walk off over mistakes that where clearly his own fault if they were down on the drawings and agreed to, for the sake of €90, doesn't sound like the full story to me tbh...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ayeboy wrote: »
    Got an electrician to price of a drawing for a refurb/extension. On this drawing had all sockets, tv points, outside lights, etc. Also had listed on the paper a breakdown of room by room. E.g. Ensuite, 3 downlights, shaver light and extractor.
    Just to be clear, eveything you now expect is cleary shown on either the drawing or other documentation prior to the job starting?

First fix done. In my own stupidity I paid him half contract sum without checking everything.
    Not that stupid really. I would have done the same.

• 1 outside light
    • Only put wire in for half of the under kitchen unit lights (chimney brest blocking other side of U shaped kitchen)
    ... and these were on the drawing or otherwise documented?

We stood in the kitchen and I said why in the world would I have asked for lights under just one side of the kitchen units and not the other but he said I never asked him for both sides.
    What you asked for in a conversation may have been misunderstood. What is in writing or on a drawing is what counts.

The ensuite doesnt even have a window so I think under the bldg regs you need an extractor.
    But electrically there is no issue here.

It was on the drawing yet he maintains I never asked him for it.
    OK, if it is on the drawing I agree with you.

So I ring RECI and give out but they don't give a toss unless its a safety issue.
    That is normal.
    I know €90 probably doesen't sound alot to some but even so its the principle of it.
    There has to be more to this.

If this is the case some might suggest that you should agree to pay the €90, but you may then find a reason to withold it at the end....

If I were you I would get the entire installation inspected when the work is complete. There has to be more to this.
    The only thing I can see wrong from a safety issue is that he has the cable to the electrical oven running at a 45 degree diagonal down the wall from the isolator switch to the back of the oven unit.
    Take a photo of this. It may come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ayeboy

For an electrician to walk off over mistakes that where clearly his own fault if they were down on the drawings and agreed to, for the sake of €90, doesn't sound like the full story to me tbh...?

Yeah I know what you are thinking and thats the frustrating part....thats exactly how things panned out. There was nothing I asked for extra (bar the "temporary" cert for moving meter and I had no problem giving him extra money for this as it wasnt discussed before job statrted).

Guy did work
    Paid him half for first fix
    Saw he omitted stuff
    Asked him to rectify
    He says I never told him about this "extra stuff"
    I showed him the drawing he had priced off and his own handwriting
    He says he will not work for free and needs extra 90 euro
    I tell him I wont pay for something that was already priced.
    He walks off

It really is as straightforward as that. There were no other issues at all that would have caused him to up sticks mid stream.

Like I said I know you think there must be some other alterior motive but there isn't. Thats why I'm so mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »

Take a photo of this. It may come in handy.

I wouldnt of thought thats too unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

But it just galls me that he prices of the same documentation as all other electricians quoting, give whateever price he likes (ensuring he gets the job) and then turn around and says that there were things he didnt price for and walk off. I'm then left out of pocket to pick up the pieces.

Its all down to the drawings, if the items not included were on the agreed and signed drawing, and you did not ask for alterations etc, then you are in the right. If not, he is. Its that simple. I couldnt see many elecricians walking off in a disagreement over €90 though, unless the job was for a small amount in the first place, or some other undisclosed factor.

This cant be how the industry operates.
    Its how life works at times, rather than just this particular trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

if it were me I would've agreed to add the €90 to the second instalment and then omit it when paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• 1 outside light
    So I've asked him to put this right and he is saying that he never priced for any of this and that it will cost an extra €90 to do (I've been supplying materials).

is the house now plastered
    even if it is ,he would wire these in an hour or so
    he would probably have spent more time arguing over why he is not doing it for you
    if you are supplying the materials then he will have minimal extra costs
    he could possibly do these bits when he is doing your second fix with little disruption
    sometimes a couple of outlets are missed on a first fix but generally are rectified on the second fix

i just wonder whether he now realizes he has either under priced or not wired 1st fix properly and is now looking for a convenient way out and this is just his excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

i agree with meercat,a lot if not all of the ommitted items could be installed on 2nd fix,an hours work or so imo.dig in and argue this point wth him,might be easier than going down the reci/other spark route

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

[i think your right on this one,the 45degree chase from switc to appliance was knocked back a good few years ago
    QUOTE=ayeboy;78069679]He is a member of RECI.

But it just galls me that he prices of the same documentation as all other electricians quoting, give whateever price he likes (ensuring he gets the job) and then turn around and says that there were things he didnt price for and walk off. I'm then left out of pocket to pick up the pieces. This cant be how the industry operates.[/QUOTE]

he prob underpriced it alright

apparently a lot of customers start nitpicking over minor rule infringements when payment disputes arise

according to ecssa anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You mentioned that he forgot the bathroom extractor fan. Is there a window in the Bathroom?

Advertisement