Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV

• 11-04-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

My popcorn hour just died :( So Im looking to get a new media player. Is the Apple TV a good alternative.

I mainly want to stream films and TV shows from my home PC to TV. Will the apple TV do this ? Will it play most formats ? Do you need to jailbreak it to do that ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

The AppleTV will only (officially) stream from iTunes (via Home Sharing), AirPlay, or "special partners" (iCloud, Netflix, etc.).

It can't stream from DLNA servers or anything like that.

The latest AppleTVs haven't been jailbroken yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

The AppleTV will only (officially) stream from iTunes (via Home Sharing), AirPlay, or "special partners" (iCloud, Netflix, etc.).

It can't stream from DLNA servers or anything like that.

The latest AppleTVs haven't been jailbroken yet.

Thanks, sounds like its not for me then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi,

My popcorn hour just died :( So Im looking to get a new media player. Is the Apple TV a good alternative.

I mainly want to stream films and TV shows from my home PC to TV. Will the apple TV do this ? Will it play most formats ? Do you need to jailbreak it to do that ?

Thanks

I use both - popcorn hour for mkvs and the like, Apple TV for Airplay, photos, the odd rental. If you have an iphone/ipad - I would defo recommend it.
    I did get XBMC onto it - but never put any other effort into getting it working properly.

BTW my popcorn hour packed in about a year back - you can order a new board from Popcorn Hour - think it worked out about €60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

My popcorn hour just died So Im looking to get a new media player. Is the Apple TV a good alternative.

Its not an alternative at all. In no way , shape , or form , could the ATV3 even remotely do what a popcorn hour could do.

Its sold as a standalone unit , but in reality , its an accessory for the ipad , iphone , or a mac pc. Even as an accessory to any of those , it still has limited capabilities when compared to the likes of the popcorn hour.

ATV's only come close when jailbroken , and with the new units , jailbreaking is a long long way away. Its the most secure ios device on the market , and there are no obvious hacks , so no methods used in previous jailbreaks will work.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    I use both - popcorn hour for mkvs and the like, Apple TV for Airplay, photos, the odd rental. If you have an iphone/ipad - I would defo recommend it.
    I did get XBMC onto it - but never put any other effort into getting it working properly.

BTW my popcorn hour packed in about a year back - you can order a new board from Popcorn Hour - think it worked out about €60.

Any chance you know where you ordered this from. I've been searching around the net with no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Any chance you know where you ordered this from. I've been searching around the net with no luck.

I logged a ticket with support - it actually cost me even less - $50 including shipping.
    Can PM the support message if you like - my problem was green light flashed then nothing (A-100)

keith_d99 wrote: »
    I logged a ticket with support - it actually cost me even less - $50 including shipping.
    Can PM the support message if you like - my problem was green light flashed then nothing (A-100)

Yes please do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gin Fizz

I like the way you can get iTunes on the TV through the apple tv box

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

I had a popcorn hour A200 until last week when I sold it. Media compatibility wise it cant be touched, however I hated it from the day I got it.

I initially spent literally days getting it to set up and recognise my network. The UI is awful and the unit itself was prone to freezing and/or crashes. Adding movies meant going onto a pc and running Yamj. On top of that the family couldnt use it.

I have a jailbroken ATv 2 with firecores ATv flash and xbmc installed. Sure ive had to covert a few movies so that it can play them but it streams from my NAS beautifully, is plug and play, and my 5 year old can use it. And movies added are updated to the library automatically with the movie info. Painless.

True, it doesnt give 1080p or HD audio but when I think of how much a ball ache the popcorn hour was thats a compromise im happy to make. My aim to just put the feet up, crack open a tin and enjoy a movie rather than messing around with a buggy linux box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Does anyone know if there something similar to the apple tv but android ?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there something similar to the apple tv but android ?

There is a product called Google TV, but it's not really targeted outside the US. It was launched two years ago, and the primary launch partner (Logitech) have pulled out of it without ever expanding into Europe. Last I heard Sony were going to launch something here with it sometime in the autumn, but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

looking at getting an ATV and have a few questions I hope might get answered...

...firstly netflix...really pisses me off that my 6 month old Samsung is not going to get this app and so apple tv would fix that, but tbh after looking for 5 mins netflix appears to have a poor selection - has anyone persisted using it for longer than 3 months?

I read here that it doesn't do DLNA - does that mean you need to have a laptop running with itunes and your drive of movies on all the time to access them? does that mean essentially the NAS I have has no more benefit over a wired drive to the laptop?

can you only get the new version of the ATV from the apple store?

I have been going 360 in the past few months and beginning to think that for the hassle, cost and quality it is actually easier just buy the blurays online - do people think the ease of use (have an iphone, hopefully ipad later in year) will see me reconvert to being a streaming enthusiast before I go back and dig out the video recorder black and white tv? :D

looking at getting an ATV and have a few questions I hope might get answered...

...firstly netflix...really pisses me off that my 6 month old Samsung is not going to get this app and so apple tv would fix that, but tbh after looking for 5 mins netflix appears to have a poor selection - has anyone persisted using it for longer than 3 months?
    I still use Netflix - but only because there's a few shows that I never got around to watching back when they were on originally that gives me plenty of catch-up (24, Doctor Who, etc.)
    I read here that it doesn't do DLNA - does that mean you need to have a laptop running with itunes and your drive of movies on all the time to access them? does that mean essentially the NAS I have has no more benefit over a wired drive to the laptop?
    Yes - it will not play DLNA content. If you have your own movies, it can only play them from a machine running iTunes. Your own music can be accessed either from iTunes, or, if you've paid for it, iTunes Match. If you've a NAS drive, and a Samsung TV with an ethernet port, can't you just continue watching those programs through the DLNA app in the TV?
    can you only get the new version of the ATV from the apple store?
    No. I got mine in Power City. You can also get them from Currys/PCWorld. They all charge roughly the same price.
    I have been going 360 in the past few months and beginning to think that for the hassle, cost and quality it is actually easier just buy the blurays online - do people think the ease of use (have an iphone, hopefully ipad later in year) will see me reconvert to being a streaming enthusiast before I go back and dig out the video recorder black and white tv? :D

Blu-Rays do have a better picture/sound quality than streams (the data rate just isn't there yet to compete), but it's very handy just to pick up the remote, switch over to the ATV channel and start watching, rather than getting up, hunting for the right disc, and sticking it in the slot - especially for TV shows. Personally, I've a mixture...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

If you've a NAS drive, and a Samsung TV with an ethernet port, can't you just continue watching those programs through the DLNA app in the TV?

Yeah I agree, my thinking I guess really is I am trying to get rid of the clutter and multiple devices, would rather a single point of entry as it were, but yeah I guess I could get over the fact I have a NAS too - but it would be annoying that I have to leave the laptop on at the sametime.
    Blu-Rays do have a better picture/sound quality than streams (the data rate just isn't there yet to compete), but it's very handy just to pick up the remote, switch over to the ATV channel and start watching, rather than getting up, hunting for the right disc, and sticking it in the slot - especially for TV shows. Personally, I've a mixture...

Again yeah I agree, just debating whether I take the apple plunge I guess or whether I go google play or netflix or both or what really...thanks for your thoughts !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The ATV2 is jailbreakable, so you can put XBMC on it and access your NAS through it. No jailbreak for the ATV3 yet.

Advertisement