Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus 08 TDCi fuell consumption gone way up .

• 11-04-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi

I have a 08 Ford focus tdci 1.6 for bout a year and a half now but recentily have noticed fuel efficiency is gone way down . Last year the clock was reading 3.9L/100 km when i was driving up and down to work ,did bout 800Km per week . But lately its not near as good . i gave it a service at the weekend and now its doing even worse (the car got a new personal worst with 5.7L/100km showing on the clock ) . I no longer do as much driving as i finished my job but do few trips in and out of college but don't think this different style of driving should effect it too much .

Anyway any ye got suggestions on what i should do , or whats the average fuel efficiency (mpg or l/100km ) that yer getting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Hi

I have a 08 Ford focus tdci 1.6 for bout a year and a half now but recentily have noticed fuel efficiency is gone way down . Last year the clock was reading 3.9L/100 km when i was driving up and down to work ,did bout 800Km per week . But lately its not near as good . i gave it a service at the weekend and now its doing even worse (the car got a new personal worst with 5.7L/100km showing on the clock ) . I no longer do as much driving as i finished my job but do few trips in and out of college but don't think this different style of driving should effect it too much .

Anyway any ye got suggestions on what i should do , or whats the average fuel efficiency (mpg or l/100km ) that yer getting

Are you buying diesel from a 'bargain' fuels outlet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If your driving to work was a long journey on main roads and motorways and the new driving is shorter trips around town then that would definitely make a difference.

........... I no longer do as much driving as i finished my job but do few trips in and out of college but don't think this different style of driving should effect it too much .............

I reckon it might be.
    How far away is college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Hi

By my calculations:

3.9L/100KM = 72.7MPG which represents such good efficiency that I would be inclined to doubt the accuracy of your clock readings even for motorway driving.

5.7L/100KM = 49.6 MPG which still represents excellent efficiency for the style of driving you alluded to above.

It might be worth doing a proper test and not relying on the cars computer totally. You should bear in mind the overall mileage you are doing, the length of the individual trips and specifically what duration of the trip the car is actually at normal operating temperatur for, the nature of the driving i.e. in traffic or otherwise, start-stop, etc as well as your own personal driving style.

In summary though, on the basis of what you have told us this far, I wouldn't be getting too panicked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

That first reading got 3.9L/100KM really seems overly optimistic, I doubt you were getting that.

I am geting 6.7L/100KM in a 2008 2.0 TDCi (motorway driving) so I think your latter reading is probably nearer what you should be on.

I also changed tires a year ago and went from 6.1L/100KM to 6.7L/100KM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jackdarabbit

That first reading got 3.9L/100KM really seems overly optimistic, I doubt you were getting that.

I am geting 6.7L/100KM in a 2008 2.0 TDCi (motorway driving) so I think your latter reading is probably nearer what you should be on.

I also changed tires a year ago and went from 6.1L/100KM to 6.7L/100KM.

I changed the front set done bout a month ago (got re-tracked also )and got the back left done at the weekend . how would new tires effect efficiency .

I get my fuel from same petrol station at home because he is cheaper then galway. but might consider changing see does it make any difference .

Have noticed its taking more fuel to drive home at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

depends a lot on your speed and road conditions. Our journey in the S40 1.6D (Same engine) to cork was 4.9L/100Km going down at a steady 115KPH and back was 5.1l/100Km. Best I have ever got, usually 5.7L

Advertisement