Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Soldiers and Sailors From WW1

Options
  • 11-04-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi all,I'm hoping some here may be able to help out with this.I'm local to the Clonakilty area and currently researching servicemen and women who served during World War 1.The research is a pastime and is still at an early stage, as there is so many gaps to fill due to two third of records been lost during WW2 for the army and the cost of downloading naval records I'm hoping some here on boards may of had family who served during WW1 and would be willing to share there details,photo's,old letters or anything related.Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mountain

Evening echo newspaper in cork published a book in the past few years with details of irish people who fought in WW1, im sure it is still available, its not on their website however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi mountain and thanks for your input.I posted quite often in the thread on the Great War forum you've linked to and forwarded a lot of names to the lads compiling the book.The problem for me is two thirds of the WW1 records were lost during WW2 so a gap has been left when it comes to searching for the non casualties.I've taken any name I found in the local newspaper archive,the Internet,Ancestry and places like the National Archives in the UK to try and compile a list as close as possible.The Naval records still need to be downloaded as do Officers records but I may go to the UK and visit the Archives myself as it would work out cheaper to do this,each record is £3.50 to download otherwise and the list there is close to two hundred.Searching locally is basically like looking for a needle in a haystack,there's no trace nor mention anywhere of people who served so I was hoping that someone here may have had a relative in the armed services or knew someone that did at that time and would be willing to share there details.The smallest bit helps,a number,regiment and so on.

Advertisement