Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will we be nostalgic about in 20-30 years time?

• 11-04-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Nostalgia is a yearning for the past often in idealised form. A lot of people do it and they portray previous decades better than what they actually were.

What do you think people will be nostalgic about in the next generation? So what changes do you think will happen in the next 20-30 years and what will people fondly remember from this generation?

My predictions

1. I reckon people will be nostalgic about being in a recession. Criticising frivolous spending and saying it was great having to live within your means as it made us all less materialistic. Basically there will be a repeat of Celtic Tiger style spending.

2. We were able to make fun of Travellers without being done for breach of the peace and being accused of being racist. People will look fondly upon people being less sensitive to other minority groups.

3. We could drink as much as we like in the pub without getting arrested for drink walking. The Guards will breathalise you if they suspect that you were drunk in a public place.

4. We were able to eat whatever we like without the government monitoring us saying we must eat healthily. There will be much less choice in unhealthy foods and unhealthy foods could only be bought behind the counter and was heavily taxed and advertised against

5. Smoking will be illegal and then become nostalgic. There will be pop culture phenomenon of buying memorabilia of old celebrities smoking. People will look favourably on people’s chance to smoke and yearn for the choice again.

6. We will look fondly on independent shops such as a local bakers, chemist, corner shop. This will all have largely been replaced by international chains.

So I’m predicting greater government intervention on social issues and interference on how we live our lives and greater effects of globalisation. There will be greater domination of international corporations.

What do the rest of After Hours think? :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

1. I reckon people will be nostalgic about being in a recession. Criticising frivolous spending and saying it was great having to live within your means as it made us all less materialistic. Basically there will be a repeat of Celtic Tiger style spending.
    You will probably still be in a recession in 20 years time.

I think people will be nostalgic about internet forums as no doubt something else will come along to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The Euro. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A time of relative world peace before WW3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

KeithAFC wrote: »
    You will probably still be in a recession in 20 years time.

You'll be grand though I presume.

I think people will nostalgic for a nuclear winter-free world. Ahhh thems were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Trolls.

We'll only appreciate how cool and funny they are when it's too late and they've all been eradicated.

Of course we'll pretend that we were the only ones that "got" them back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They will be nostalgic for a time when there were every so slightly fewer jumped up little **** thinking they know everything about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Comfort when flying
    Mobile phones are now allowed on airplanes, Ryanair started it and the rest followed.

This is one thing I won't welcome :(

Religion

Those who wanted to see a end to the Catholic majority are not far off seeing their wish granted but one religion has been replaced with another

Ireland has copied the UK as we do and Limerick and Athlone now look like Blackburn and Bradford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

Ireland's European Championship win of 2012. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

• Petrol
    • touch screen mobile devices
    • Playstations
    • Tvs
    • driving cars?
    • travel
    • ear phones
    • world as we know it
    • secual contact :eek:
    • pregenaceys with out a license

I recon half the world will live on under mural stimulation devices they live, most of there daily lives threw them therele be no head phone for music youle be able to hear in your head :pac: driving cars will give ay to ai
    gaming will be virtual with nural stimulation
    travel will be done bye god knows what?

granddad whats an i phone, :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

America been the the most powerful country in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

My hair :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

money

'remember the days when we had money, aaahhhhhhh'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Trolls.

We'll only appreciate how cool and funny they are when it's too late and they've all been eradicated.

Of course we'll pretend that we were the only ones that "got" them back in the day.

Agreed. I think internet regulation will be the next step. People will be yearning for being able to put whatever you like on the internet. Forums will be heavily moderated, social networking sites etc. The internet will become too powerful for everyone's good. You're seeing it now with people being prosecuted for what people post on the internet.

I'd say the biggest "terror" threat would have moved on from Islamic fundamentalism and be a splinter group off Anonymous or some organised hacking group. A group who could hack into worldwide and company stock exchanges or state's defence systems and set off missiles etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Well I know that RTE and all other major news outlets will be nostalgic about Dublin's last All-Ireland win in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Being able to get it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"Remember when the world ended in 2012?"

The groundbreaking sounds of Justin Bieber and One Direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

foxyboxer wrote: »
    The groundbreaking sounds of Justin Bieber and One Direction.

EdenHazard likes this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Music.

Come to think of it, I'm nostalgic about that already :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On a serious note, we will actually be nostalgic for the days when you could go off on holidays and disconnect from the world either by switching off your mobile, or *gasp* being out of coverage.
    With the likes of Project Glass and the impending 4G networks, it will be a case of everyone always being connected to the internet, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

As much as I enjoy that, I also enjoy those times (such as being on a holiday or at a wedding) when you can turn off the phone and stick it in a drawer and forget about it, just living in the current moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Devore will be richer then Zuckerberg and we'll all say, I knew Devore when he was one of us

Instead he'll be living the high life and laughing at us poor people :o

eh how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Musical greats like Jedward ;)

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Musical greats like Jedward ;)

And the Tesco Delivery guy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

kfallon wrote: »
    And the Tesco Delivery guy ;)
    Ah no, singing wasn't one of his better talents ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Religion.

The religion of today will be looked upon in years to come, like the time people thought the world was flat and then people looking back on that viewed it as ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Something that's nostalgic, watching youtube videos with no ads or vevo. Those were the days.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Ah no, singing wasn't one of his better talents ;)

Heard he was able to get a tune out of your 'box' tho :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I remember when we used to tie an onion from our belts, which was the style at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Oil and oil based products.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

...metal biscuit tins. As opposed to the plastic ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Nostalgia is a yearning for the past often in idealised form. A lot of people do it and they portray previous decades better than what they actually were.

What do you think people will be nostalgic about in the next generation? So what changes do you think will happen in the next 20-30 years and what will people fondly remember from this generation?

My predictions

2. We were able to make fun of Travellers without being done for breach of the peace and being accused of being racist. People will look fondly upon people being less sensitive to other minority groups.

3. We could drink as much as we like in the pub without getting arrested for drink walking. The Guards will breathalise you if they suspect that you were drunk in a public place.

4. We were able to eat whatever we like without the government monitoring us saying we must eat healthily. There will be much less choice in unhealthy foods and unhealthy foods could only be bought behind the counter and was heavily taxed and advertised against

5. Smoking will be illegal and then become nostalgic. There will be pop culture phenomenon of buying memorabilia of old celebrities smoking. People will look favourably on people’s chance to smoke and yearn for the choice again.

6. We will look fondly on independent shops such as a local bakers, chemist, corner shop. This will all have largely been replaced by international chains.

So I’m predicting greater government intervention on social issues and interference on how we live our lives and greater effects of globalisation. There will be greater domination of international corporations.

What do the rest of After Hours think? :cool:

I don't like the sound of your vision of the future.

Think I'll get nostalgic about the smell of petrol and The Simpsons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Actual shops, paper books, what the world was like before china nuked itself off the map in a civil war, a world without zombies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Snowie wrote: »
    • Petrol
    • touch screen mobile devices
    • Playstations
    • Tvs
    • driving cars?
    • travel
    • ear phones
    • world as we know it
    • secual contact :eek:
    • pregenaceys with out a license
    I recon half the world will live on under mural stimulation devices they live, most of there daily lives threw them therele be no head phone for music youle be able to hear in your head :pac: driving cars will give ay to ai
    gaming will be virtual with nural stimulation
    travel will be done bye god knows what?

granddad whats an i phone, :pac:

Spell checkers and literacy....ah bless but they were great;)

• Advertisement

Your surroundings.

I'd love to go back 20 or 30 years ago and simply walk around Cork City to see how much it's changed in the intervening years.

The shops, streets, pubs and neighbourhoods we have today will be radically different in 30 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Being able to swear without being fined one credit for violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What will I miss? Privacy. We're turning in to groups of virtual tribes who live their lives in public. The technology is already available, or will be soon, to track and tie together everything we do to form a single picture of our activities.

Some authors see this as a good thing e.g. Cory Doctorow, in books such as Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. He describes a "reputation economy" where money has been replaced by "whuffie", a virtual currency that you earn by doing "good" things.

But if you dare to complain about this, you start to sound old-fashioned - like Ayn Rand, who saw privacy as essential to the development of society.
    Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.
    You might say "well, Facebook only knows what I tell it", but Facebook is only one service. Imagine a situation in which the government created a single file on you that tied all that together, used it for its own purposes (tax, social benefits) ... then sold that service to anyone who wanted it, because they need the money.

So, in the future, if you go out of an evening and have a few drinks, don't call in sick the next day. Your boss will be able to check up on what you did the evening before, and what you drank. It may even happen automatically without him lifting a finger; just a pop-up on his screen a few seconds after you call in sick. Your insurance company will be able to bump up your health and car insurance costs, because having a few drinks is a risky activity.

I'm assuming that everyone will have stopped smoking by then, since you will not get health insurance if you do - and they will know. Put those Pringles back on the shelf, you don't want them on your bill. What do you mean, "pay cash"? What is cash? I have this smart card ... :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I reckon these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

country schoolhouses
    bog cutters
    hay makers
    fishing

basically, anything that makes us "irish" - they are getting rid of our tradition one by one. Soon people will only know about these in song or story, not reality - in reality, we will be living in a generic environment, uniform and boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

bnt wrote: »
    What will I miss? Privacy. We're turning in to groups of virtual tribes who live their lives in public. The technology is already available, or will be soon, to track and tie together everything we do to form a single picture of our activities.

Some authors see this as a good thing e.g. Cory Doctorow, in books such as Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. He describes a "reputation economy" where money has been replaced by "whuffie", a virtual currency that you earn by doing "good" things.

But if you dare to complain about this, you start to sound old-fashioned - like Ayn Rand, who saw privacy as essential to the development of society.
    You might say "well, Facebook only knows what I tell it", but Facebook is only one service. Imagine a situation in which the government created a single file on you that tied all that together, used it for its own purposes (tax, social benefits) ... then sold that service to anyone who wanted it, because they need the money.

So, in the future, if you go out of an evening and have a few drinks, don't call in sick the next day. Your boss will be able to check up on what you did the evening before, and what you drank. It may even happen automatically without him lifting a finger; just a pop-up on his screen a few seconds after you call in sick. Your insurance company will be able to bump up your health and car insurance costs, because having a few drinks is a risky activity.

I'm assuming that everyone will have stopped smoking by then, since you will not get health insurance if you do - and they will know. Put those Pringles back on the shelf, you don't want them on your bill. What do you mean, "pay cash"? What is cash? I have this smart card ... :rolleyes:

But no matter how much things change, we'll always have people with a gift for rambling bullshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The English language.

We're at a turning point for the language and I imagine that in 30 years we'll see the language become more influenced by text speak. This text speak evolution will become the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Voting for corrupt politicans.

I live in hope...... :rolleyes:

Orim wrote: »
    The English language.

We're at a turning point for the language and I imagine that in 30 years we'll see the language become more influenced by text speak. This text speak evolution will become the norm.

:confused:

What's the opposite of evolution? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The 20th century. There'll come a time when you'll be ashamed to tell someone you born in a year that begins with 19. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Regression maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The English language.

Well, that's pretty much how languages work.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

County councillors, How we will laugh at there antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The English language.

Devolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Well, that's pretty much how languages work.....

I'm aware which is why I stated that it's going to happen. And when it happens people will be nostalgic about the times when people used proper English.

You can already see both the evolution and the nostalgia with people who constantly use text speak and the people who bemoan the use of text speak.

• Advertisement
Advertisement