Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snail

Options
  • 11-04-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

we bought our boys a couple of small fish yesterday 1 is a red and white comet can't remember what the other is and a snail.the snail is about an inch in size and it was happy sucking on the tank in the shop.it was also happy in the bag but after a few minutes when the bag was in the tank i noticed the snail had fallen to the corner of the bag.it never moved when in the tank and today i removed it and the entrance to the shell has sealed and gone hard.silly question now would it be dead as i know nowt about snails,don't know if they go into shock,sleep etc.hopefully someone can give me an answer soon as i don't want to chuck it away if it's still alive.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Do you know what type of snail it is?

If it's an apple snail, they have a trapdoor that they close when they feel threatened. Also, if it's an apple snail you'll know it's dead because it will smell really, really bad. I'd put it open-side down for a while and leave it be to see if it starts moving.

You know comets are pond fish and grow very very large?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The smell of a dead snail is not a smell I'll forget in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

i think the snail has a mind of it's own.after the first post i put it back and itdecided to move from one side to the other and up the side then decided to hide and hasn't moved since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

How is the snail now? Settled in?

Advertisement