Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITU World Triathlon Series (spoiler alert)

Options
  • 11-04-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭

That time of year again, it all starts once again in Sydney this weekend. Noble and Morrison are on the start lists which is an achievement in itself!

So who will do the business this year? Does it even matter? Isn't the Olympics the only game in town this year really? Apart from wanting our Irish pro's to do well I personally want to see Gomez return to form this year. Also I'd like to see McCormack make London and Tim Don - controversial around these part I know :o but it's all about personal favourites.

Now some good news, 20% discount for the live season pass if anybody is interested, CODE is Jenkins2012, so €16 for the year, ain't bad. Season 2012 preview is up there now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Nice timing I was just looking into subscribing this morning!

Perfect will do that in time for Saturday!

I reckon Gomez will be on it alright.
    Aus have their work cut out to seal 3rd place I think but I too would like Macca to do well.

Should be a cracker of a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

What's the code for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

butrasgali wrote: »
    What's the code for?

It's just if you want to watch the series online and other videos regarding the season and the races. You can use the code here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'd like to see the Brownlee's continue to dominate for at least the next 6 months, and I'd like to see Harry Wiltshire qualify as the third Brit. He;s been scrambling around South America trying to get the Olympic qualifying points so good luck him.

In the womens I'd like to see Helen Jenkins do well but even though she is ITU Champion I can't see her winning Olympic gold, she consistent rather than spectacular.

I'd like to see more of Vanessa Raw too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I think Jenkins will have a huge chance, I reckon Lucy Hall will be selected for GB to try and get Jenkins a decent lead out of the water. How is Paula Findlay going this year, if she is back to full fitness she will be the one to beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Glad I didnt sign up earlier in the week, cheers for the code :)

I'd love to see Gomez back on form and give the brownlees a good run for their money over the season, I really enjoy the races where they're all three in the mix.

Not a Macca fan at all since reading his book, it would be nice to see him race well - but only insofar as it might encourage a lot of other folk to give it a bit more welly this season and serve him up some pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

fack! I was scouring the net looking for a promo code lol! Have already bought it and looking forward to Friday night

Bambaata wrote: »
    fack! I was scouring the net looking for a promo code lol! Have already bought it and looking forward to Friday night

Just think what you could have got with that €4 dude! What time Fri night is it kicking off?

Cant quite remember. Think its 21:30 or so. Its listed on their schedule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

Women 10:30 pm Friday night, Men race start at 01:25 am Saturday morning Irish time http://triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=706

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice One El D. I hope too the Gomez is on form to make a race of it. Got to say the womens is going to be fascinating. Riveroz Diaz vs Jenkins and the Aussies. I wonder if Snowsill is back to form?

Predictions on Aileen Morrisson's finish position?

Snowsill has been ill lately so i dont know if she'll be in contention

What kind of illness? I just wonder if her swim is back up to speed?

I won't be watching the races until next week. Shotgun could you put a **SPOILER ALERT** in the heading....just incase anyone gets tripped up :)

I won't be watching the races until next week. Shotgun could you put a **SPOILER ALERT** in the heading....just incase anyone gets tripped up :)

Done.

Although I suggest you just don't read the thread until you have seen it! ;)

Must be stressin' you out having to go back to school next week..

Aileen going strong in lead pack near front.

Favourite gotta be Densham with running form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fazz wrote: »
    Aileen going strong in lead pack near front.

Favourite gotta be Densham with running form.

Yeah going well, coverage seems decent.

Aileen falling back on run and looks to be suffering a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Aileen finished in 28th. Disappointing performance.

An Aussie girl I know, Felicity Sheedy Ryan, came 16th. Close to her career best of 14th. 5th Aussie home. Horribly difficult qualification for the Olympics down here. The standard is so high.

• Advertisement

Gutsy stuff from Elvery and Vasilev on the bike to try snag an OLY slot, hats off to them for trying. Might not be enough of a lead into the run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Entertaining stuff. The bike leg was interesting with all the attempted breaks.
    Good coverage as usual.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

04072511 wrote: »

She had some stomach issues on the run apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

She had some stomach issues on the run apparently.

Fairly packed in the nutrition in the latter stages of the bike, wonder if it had anything to do with it. She was racing brilliantly until the second half of the run. Sign of great things to come this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Only realised this now but could have watched this live on BBC Red Button:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

04072511 wrote: »

An Aussie girl I know, Felicity Sheedy Ryan, came 16th. Close to her career best of 14th. 5th Aussie home. Horribly difficult qualification for the Olympics down here. The standard is so high.

there is only 1 race that counts this year and with a v smart organisation of her race schedule she can work exclusively towards that race and apart from the aussie team where she would struggle, she would make the oly team for any nation.
    From what I have seen she had a good rest period at the end of last year and is still coming back to be ready in August.

The last race it was complained about her swim y day she was at the very top in the swim. her bonus is while other athletes still have to fight for their ticket she has the ticket.
    We can already see whats happening in the US selction and it will be the same in Australia there will be war for the ticked and thats emotionally v draining.
    She is in a good place to be.|The rest is seen in London
    the rest is total speculation as nobody knows what her strategy is apart from maybe 10 people.

great race by Gav! and with his injury struggle there should be more to come.
    And this Murray guy could be the dark horse, saw him last year at an Itu race and boy has he improved his swim. I have been following as I was more than impressed by his run last year and gets stronger every race .
    Denshem could be what tunney would call ... it dosnt matter how good you are the year after the Olympics.She could well do a Whitfield or Docherty.

The other Interesting thing is how good can a 70.3 race be for Oly distance. Vasiliew did Panama 70.3.. it would appear that Russia is now in the driving seat to get a 3rd spot in the males.

ps would Ryan not be an Irish surname ..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

peter kern wrote: »

ps would Ryan not be an Irish surname ..................

Yes, she has strong Irish roots. I met Felicity at TriAthlone back in 2008 when she came 3rd (I plodded along in the age group that day). She won Triathlone the following year. Nice girl. She could possibly declare for Ireland, I'm not sure, but she is proudly Australian. I'd love to see her qualify for London, but as you know, competition for places is tough down here.

So round two this weekend in San Diego. Time running out for athletes to impress and get themselves to the party in London in Aug. No Irish interest this weekend afaik. Women's field looks stacked, men's less so (in terms of who else is out there I mean). Said it before, a little controversial I know but.....I am hoping to see The Don and Macca do enough to get selected.

Elite women's start at 10pm tomorrow night and men 10:30pm Sat night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

So round two this weekend in San Diego.

Jonny Brownlee's first race of the season and although it might be too early in the season I'm expecting the young loiner to outshine his brother this year (even in the Olympics!).

• Advertisement

So round two this weekend in San Diego. Time running out for athletes to impress and get themselves to the party in London in Aug. No Irish interest this weekend afaik. Women's field looks stacked, men's less so (in terms of who else is out there I mean). Said it before, a little controversial I know but.....I am hoping to see The Don and Macca do enough to get selected.

I'm not sure Australia will get a 3rd spot never mind chose Macca to race it!

Don't they need sexton to keep racing and doing well to get the third slot, and then what chose to give it to Macca over him ! :)

Don't get me wrong I'm a Macca fan, but it seems unlikely now.

On the flip side if this does happen, it'll be a seriously epic Kona and indeed 70.3 Las Vegas we have to look forward to!
    I heard in an interview that Macca will likely do both this year if Okympics falls through, indeed may do if it goes ahead also!

Advertisement