Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why can't school holidays be shorter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

billybudd wrote: »
    He listed four or five points that in his opinion are beneficial. i presume those points answer in a small way how it would be better to use resources at hand.
    Yeah, maybe all parents should 'home school'. Let's see what generation is created in about 20 years time! :) Problem solved!

Oh and they should do it for free, seeing as it's part of their job as a parent anyway - the primary educator! Money could be saved all around! Wahoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Why should someone with 5 years of third level education be paid the same (or less) than someone who left school at 12 and now drives a bus?

It's called supply and demand. It's why electricians got 1000's per week in the boom. We've a surplus of teachers, so yeah they should be.
    If the pay is too low then high quality teachers would not be attracted to the profession (myself included, I want to be a secondary school teacher, but if the pay falls any further I wont be able to afford being a teacher)

You're including yourself as a high quality teacher even though you haven't even graduated? Studying the history of art or geography for four years doesn't make you 'high quality' or in demand.
    Generally teachers will agree that they should be paid based on performance, however, how do you measure their performance?

Student test scores based on class size ratios and you could consider deis schools aswell. Not very difficult really.
    I take it you have a ****ty, low paying job?

It would take a teacher to make an unbelievable arrogant and ill informed statement. No such thing as a sh*tty job, just lower paid jobs. Low paid is not equalled to sh*tty, you should probably correct yourself there. As you you said yourself, you may be forced to be driving the bus one day when teachers are given a long awaited wake up call. Are you actually arrogant enough to believe that society needs everyone to have a college education? Where do you think society would be without binmen, shopkeepers, street sweepers, bus drivers, taxi drivers? You be sat at a bus stop waiting for the bus that isn't coming surrounded by gobsh*te, pontificating graduates talking sh*te and you'd be surrounded by rubbish. Be great craic wouldn't it? F***ing hell, I wonder where people get the idea that teachers are arrogant, self entitled clowns eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Cherryfizz wrote: »
    During the boom years noone really cared about the length of School Holidays or Teachers because most people were on the pigs back creaming bonuses! Now because everything has gone belly up there seems to be a real sense of begrudgery against Teachers. Teachers did not cause this economic mess and are trying like everyone else to ride this awful storm out. Teachers don't want to see their family and friends emigrating or certain students infront of them stressed because of their parents finances. There is an assumption that all teachers have secure jobs which in itself is not true or that every teacher gets paid holidays or the hours are just 9 -4. Back in the Boom Years some looked down on Teaching because there wasnt enough money in it. But thats the thing, people don't teach to make their fortune but in the belief to make a difference in a young persons life and impart knowledge. Like every profession there are people who are better at the job than others and the crackdown on those not performing is welcomed. When I was a child I loved the holidays to play more sport or get a job for myself. An education is not just what is learnt in the classroom as we all know but what goes on in everyday life!

This is all overly emotive and straying from the point. Of course teachers didn't cause the recession!! FFS

What's wrong with looking for value for money everywhere???

I think having shorter summer holidays and giving children more face time with teachers will lead to better educated students. Perhaps a "summer curriculum" focused more on outdoor issues could be an aspect of it.

Someone mentioned that it was pointless because once you have the curriculum finished there's nothing else to teach!! WTF? That's a desperately narrow view of education.

If teachers are doing such a great job (and many of them are) kids would benefit from more hours being thought by them.

Yeah, maybe all parents should 'home school'. Let's see what generation is created in about 20 years time! :) Problem solved!

Oh and they should do it for free, seeing as it's part of their job as a parent anyway - the primary educator! Money could be saved all around! Wahoo!

Who mentioned anything about home-schooling?

Then what would all our teachers do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He listed four or five points that in his opinion are beneficial. i presume those points answer in a small way how it would be better to use resources at hand.
    In his opinion =\= "worthwhile answers"

If you're going to make a statement that shorter holidays would be beneficial, then, "That's my opinion" isn't enough of a justification.

Again, nobody has given any worthwhile answer as to why it would be beneficial. "I believe it would be" is not an answer.

Our entire teaching system needs reform. It's been crumbling for years; costs are going up and standards are going down. We need to make massive changes, but across the entire system.

But speaking as someone who came through the Irish system, simply throwing kids into school with the same teachers for a few more weeks is probably the last thing that should be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Who said home school? honestly you are doing more damage than good to the reputation of teachers, may i suggest you take a time out and go back and read what you typed and see how you come across.

Debate is healthy.

Someone mentioned that it was pointless because once you have the curriculum finished there's nothing else to teach!! WTF? That's a desperately narrow view of education.

Who made this comment?

Who said home school? honestly you are doing more damage than good to the reputation of teachers, may i suggest you take a time out and go back and read what you typed and see how you come across.

Debate is healthy.

I disagree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

When do teachers plan?

Is it? It's not factored into mine? Any plans I do is done outside of the school hours.

A teachers day in the school is not the same as the pupils. Just because your pupils go home at 3pm does not mean this is the end of your working day. You could fit in 2 hours of planning there and still be only working 9-5pm. So it might be outside school hours, but it is still within the teachers working day.

Secondary school teachers have it factored in to their day. Planning & preparation days. All school should have a scheme of work that the teachers follow and teachers swap lesson plans. Doesn't take too long to plan a lesson-If your a competent teacher

seamus wrote: »
    In his opinion =\= "worthwhile answers"

If you're going to make a statement that shorter holidays would be beneficial, then, "That's my opinion" isn't enough of a justification.

Again, nobody has given any worthwhile answer as to why it would be beneficial. "I believe it would be" is not an answer.

Our entire teaching system needs reform. It's been crumbling for years; costs are going up and standards are going down. We need to make massive changes, but across the entire system.

But speaking as someone who came through the Irish system, simply throwing kids into school with the same teachers for a few more weeks is probably the last thing that should be done.

I agree with you, what i meant was it was a opening opinion with some interesting points made, i wouldnt imagine AH is the place to cure the ills of the education system of Ireland.

But i would expect non-teachers looking in to have less answers than teachers and thus teachers should really have a better idea of why this is not a good idea or is manybe a good idea.

• Advertisement

I disagree :)

Thankfully my children will not be attending school in the north east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I think having shorter summer holidays and giving children more face time with teachers will lead to better educated students. Perhaps a "summer curriculum" focused more on outdoor issues could be an aspect of it.
    What precisely are "outdoor issues" and what gives you the idea that teachers themselves know let alone are competent to teach children about "outdoor issues"?

Teaching quality > Teaching time. Instead of giving teachers far more hours at the same pay to achieve essentially nothing they should scale teacher's pay to reflect the quality of their teaching. Now that's real value for money.
    There's more than enough time in the school year to teach above and beyond what the curriculum demands. In sixth class, we had two classes a week on Leonardo da Vinci's works which although very interesting and very beneficial I doubt was on the official curriculum. The only reason we had enough time to do any of that was because we had an excellent teacher.

That's probably my point, very poorly misrepresented by you.

I said that if you give more time, the teachers will still only cover the same curriculum. That's how it works. A teacher sees that he has X amount of material to cover. Whether he has 6 months or 9 months or 12 months to cover it, he will create class and teaching plans to cover the required material in the time allotted. Only very exceptional teachers will aim to cover the curriculum as fast as possible and then move onto advanced material after that. I can recall only two such teachers in my entire time in school.

Indeed, our curricula are part of the problem. They're focussed on learning specific knowledge, in time to be tested on that specific knowledge. That's a very narrow way of teaching, and a more open-ended approach would likely result in more hunger and respect for learning on the part of the students.

Ah well I'm off to get my 4th cuppa tae. It's Thursday tomorrow isn't it? Oh woop PAY DAY! Oh but I haven't been in work since March 16th.... oh well, the joyyyyyys ;)

Booyashaka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The question is totally pointless because our government can't afford to fund schools for any extra time anyway!

Thankfully my children will not be attending school in the north east.
    Didn't say I taught in the North East! :D:D:D

Didn't say I taught in the North East! :D:D:D

Or thought:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Everyone - primary and secondary get the full month of August off (perhaps 3rd level degrees could also be condensed?).

Teaching for most universities finishes for the term in April. The state's funding would have to be restructured and significantly increased to continue teaching into June, for example. Simply, the money isn't there and we don't pay fees so this is practically an impossibility.

But thats the thing, people don't teach to make their fortune but in the belief to make a difference in a young persons life and impart knowledge
    If the pay is too low then high quality teachers would not be attracted to the profession

So which is it?

• Advertisement

Or thought:)
    You realise the word is 'taught' right? :P

Who made this comment?

I can't find it at all now. I was sure someone said that. I didn't think it was you btw.

They must not have. I'm happy to withdraw my claim that they did.:)

I can't find it at all now. I was sure someone said that. I didn't think it was you btw.

They must not have. I'm happy to withdraw my claim that they did.:)
    I did make a curriculum comment, so I thought you were referring to me!

Anyway. I'm not going to get all hotheaded about this. Doesn't do any good for the aul blood pressure & I'm only a young wan yet!

What precisely are "outdoor issues" and what gives you the idea that teachers themselves know let alone are competent to teach children about "outdoor issues"?

I didn't explain myself. I was thinking science (biology) and physical education in particular. Heh, I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Ah well I'm off to get my 4th cuppa tae. It's Thursday tomorrow isn't it? Oh woop PAY DAY! Oh but I haven't been in work since March 16th.... oh well, the joyyyyyys ;)

Booyashaka.

I kinda don't know if you're kidding or not. Irish teachers are beyond parody I'm afraid :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

seamus wrote: »
    When I say "pro-rate" I mean, "Compared to averages", I'm aware that the justification at the moment is that "we only get paid for our nine months" :)
    Simple things such as benchmarking a teacher's salary against the national average - let's say a starting teacher get's pro-rated against the national average wage.

So if the national average is €30k, a starting teacher gets paid 75% of that (€22.5k) over 12 months. He then has the option of working his downtime to earn more.

Pay increases are then awarded on the basis of performance, but still benchmarked against the average, so the next year he gets a raise to 1.1 "averages" which will give him take-home of 24,750. If the national average wage drops, every teacher's salary drops in response.

In reality, all public sector/civil service/politician salaries should be linked to the national average so there's no faffing over whinging unions and greedy increments. If economic output drops, the entire public service wage bill drops automatically without strikes or arguments and other bull****. If it improves, the wage bill does too. It's just common bloody sense.

You want to increase teachers' pay?! Sounds great as I earn less than 22k. And after 10 or 15 years, ill still be getting less than 35k!
    I'm not complaining; I love my job, but I just don't know who is getting these enormous salaries that people are so vexed about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've lived with a fair few teachers. Never witnessed the "correcting/planning til all hours, every single day" that is always peddled during these discussions. Must just be me.

As for less holidays, well how do we stack up when compared to other countries? I can speak for universities, most of the real work is done when all the undergrads are gone :)

micropig wrote: »
    A teachers day in the school is not the same as the pupils. Just because your pupils go home at 3pm does not mean this is the end of your working day. You could fit in 2 hours of planning there and still be only working 9-5pm. So it might be outside school hours, but it is still within the teachers working day.

Secondary school teachers have it factored in to their day. Planning & preparation days. All school should have a scheme of work that the teachers follow and teachers swap lesson plans. Doesn't take too long to plan a lesson-If your a competent teacher

Yes, because all students are exactly the same, with similar learning needs and schemes of work, lesson plans, worksheets, practical sheets, assessments and reports don't need to be tailored to suit different groups or sometimes, individual students. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

During the boom years noone really cared about the length of School Holidays or Teachers because most people were on the pigs back creaming bonuses! Now because everything has gone belly up there seems to be a real sense of begrudgery against Teachers. Teachers did not cause this economic mess and are trying like everyone else to ride this awful storm out. Teachers don't want to see their family and friends emigrating or certain students infront of them stressed because of their parents finances. There is an assumption that all teachers have secure jobs which in itself is not true or that every teacher gets paid holidays or the hours are just 9 -4. Back in the Boom Years some looked down on Teaching because there wasnt enough money in it. But thats the thing, people don't teach to make their fortune but in the belief to make a difference in a young persons life and impart knowledge. Like every profession there are people who are better at the job than others and the crackdown on those not performing is welcomed. When I was a child I loved the holidays to play more sport or get a job for myself. An education is not just what is learnt in the classroom as we all know but what goes on in everyday life!

Teachers were fair game during the boom-years as well, and seemed to be belly-aching all the time about one thing or another, always looking for sympathy and always shocked because they never got any.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Teachers were fair game during the boom-years as well, and seemed to be belly-aching all the time about one thing or another, always looking for sympathy and always shocked because they never got any.:P

Does 2002 count as one of the boom years? I seem to remember not being allowed to attend school during my LC year at one stage bc teachers were striking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

May I ask, what that is? Some kind of a staff meeting?

• Advertisement

You want to increase teachers' pay?! Sounds great as I earn less than 22k. And after 10 or 15 years, ill still be getting less than 35k!
    I'm not complaining; I love my job, but I just don't know who is getting these enormous salaries that people are so vexed about.
    Sounds like you might be getting screwed.

http://www.into.ie/ROI/InformationforTeachers/Salaries/CommonBasicScale/

After ten years you'll be on €39k, not including allowances for qualifications and such.

There are some big salaries alright, but probably not enough to get worked up about. A principle in a big school with 35 year's service, an honours degree and a handful of other qualifications can be earning in excess of €100k.
    Although when you consider that a principal with 25 years service in mid-sized school earns about €80k, many people would consider that a huge salary.

Yes, because all students are exactly the same, with similar learning needs and schemes of work, lesson plans, worksheets, practical sheets, assessments and reports don't need to be tailored to suit different groups or sometimes, individual students. :rolleyes:

So what? You have to work until 5pm and sometimes work late? Welcome to the f***ing real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Does 2002 count as one of the boom years? I seem to remember not being allowed to attend school during my LC year at one stage bc teachers were striking...

I think so, teachers made an awful lot of enemies during that campaign, and some of them took it out on the kids of some parents who campaigned against them. One of our kids got the evil-eye from some militant teacher because she knew that my missus was quite vocal in disagreeing with the strike, and we ended up moving our one to another school to get away from her.

Of course lessons should be tailored to suit individual pupils, no one said they shouldn't be. All pupils are following the same curriculum.

Competent teachers should be able to design lessons, differentiated enough to include all levels -That's why I said a competent teacher

It is the height of stupidity if each teacher in a department is planning entire lessons individually. The teachers in the department should get together and between them design the lessons. All the teacher has to do is tweak it slightly for their pupils (Properly planned, differentiated lessons will be already inclusive of all abilities). worksheets, practical sheets & assessment should be all included in the lesson plans and the scheme of work

Other teachers are teaching the same lesson, many have thought it last year;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    May I ask, what that is? Some kind of a staff meeting?

Sorry that should read, planning & preparation classes or "free" classes, during the school day..especially for planning;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Back in my day I spent my summers helping the men for silage season and then doing it all again for hay :)

Stacking the square bales in the fields and there was a special way to do it, you had to have the knots facing down and on the outside though I never actually learned why.
    Anyone know?

I suppose a while back the children was realy needed for farm work.
    A bad summer means a bad year, a lot of pressure and stress involved.
    God knows it's liable to start raining any minute :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter anymore but OP asked for reasons and that's mine

Yes, Mike. The top of the bale where the knot is is arguably more packed and will take in less water if they get wet.

Also, as it's tighter, the rain will run off more easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I don't really have an issue with the length of holidays for kids as I think their days are long enough.
    But there are a few things I'd like to see changed.

1. Performance based payrises - not just automatic based on how long a teacher is there.
    2. Nepotism is rife in teaching and should be halted.
    3. School buildings should be used in the evenings and holidays for things like afterschool clubs and summer camps. People could rent space from the schools and that way they are making money rather than lying idle.
    4. Teachers should be covering exams and marking as part of their job rather than the government spending a fortune on examiners and marking. I'd agree with travel expenses for the teachers sent to exam halls far away from them but other than that, no extra pay for it. Teachers would still get substantial holidays and it would save a fair bit of money.

Oh and continuous professional development. A number of hours every year for teachers to retrain and keep their skills up. If the bankers, insurance industry, medical profession etc have to do it, then it should also be compulsory for teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think so, teachers made an awful lot of enemies during that campaign, and some of them took it out on the kids of some parents who campaigned against them. One of our kids got the evil-eye from some militant teacher because she knew that my missus was quite vocal in disagreeing with the strike, and we ended up moving our one to another school to get away from her.

Gawd :eek:

ash23 wrote: »
    I don't really have an issue with the length of holidays for kids as I think their days are long enough.
    But there are a few things I'd like to see changed.

1. Performance based payrises - not just automatic based on how long a teacher is there.

Yes, those teachers who spend their time meeting the learning needs of students with special needs should be penalised. Like we did in the 80s and 90s we should send those kids off to institutions and focus instead on 'performance'.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

Fair play. Welcome to the adult world. From the sounds of it you'll do great in the leaving.

My original point still reamins - Why can't summer holidays be shorter?

Sorry I think my point came across wrong I agree that yeah teachers have it way too cushy because of the summer but from a students point of view I need that break to relax take a break and earn some money for college and to have a life we don't get much of a chance to do that during the school year . Yes I agree that thats nothing compared to the pressure of the adult world I understand that but young people are a little less unprepared to deal with that amount of stress . That's just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

ash23 wrote: »
    4. Teachers should be covering exams and marking as part of their job rather than the government spending a fortune on examiners and marking. I'd agree with travel expenses for the teachers sent to exam halls far away from them but other than that, no extra pay for it. Teachers would still get substantial holidays and it would save a fair bit of money.

Great point. I'm not sure how they defend that handy number tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Without having a dig at teachers or anyone else in the public sector, I'd like to suggest that we shorten the school holidays.

Everyone - primary and secondary get the full month of August off (perhaps 3rd level degrees could also be condensed?).

This would:

- Increase teaching time for students
    - Increase the productivity of school buildings and other assets
    - Increase the productivity of teachers themselves
    - Increase productivity of a section of parents during the summer months (childcare, etc)

What are the downsides to this idea??

- More expensive holidays during the month of August?
    - any more??

Two weeks should be added on to the school curriculum on one condition: those two weeks are spent OUTSIDE of the classroom. Do field trips, take them to museums, take them to the woods for a hike, something, anything, but get them out frmo under a desk and behind a book if you want to edcucate them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Yes, those teachers who spend their time meeting the learning needs of students with special needs should be penalised. Like we did in the 80s and 90s we should send those kids off to institutions and focus instead on 'performance'.

Did I say performance as in "grades".
    Defensive much?

There are ways to assess someones ability, suitability and dedication as a teacher without counting the number of points the kids get or the STEN scores.

There are loads of teachers out there who hate their jobs, hate kids, have no interest in their futures and who keep getting pay increases simply for staying there. What use is that? The highest paid are not necessarily the best teachers.

You're confusing exam results with teacher performance. That's typical of teachers attitudes - you can't measure my performance because I work with special needs kids, underprivileged kids, kids who are **** at exams, etc.....nonsense.

Working in a challanging, important and worthwhile area (e.g. with kids from a severely disadvantaged background) is not a get out of jail free card for having your performance measured. In fact it's even more important.

Students with learnings need can not perform.....

Well blow me over with a sock....Is this what a lot of teacher think?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How about 6 weeks in the summer, October bank holiday will suffice no mid term. 10 days for Christmas and a week at Easter. Sounds fair no?

You realise the word is 'taught' right? :P

You would think, but oh no, oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

You're confusing exam results with performance. That's typical of teachers attitudes - you can't measure my performance because I work with special needs kids, underprivileged kids, kids who are **** at exams, etc.....nonsense.

Working in a challanging, important and worthwhile area (e.g. with kids from a severely disadvantaged background) is not a get out of jail free card for having your performance measured. In fact it's even more important.

If performance measurement is so important, how do you explain that the country with the best educational system in the world (Finland) has no performance measurement for teachers or standardised tests, apart from a University entrance exam?

Can you give any example of where performance measurement turned around a failing school system?

Students with learnings need can not perform.....

Well blow me over with a sock....Is this what a lot of teacher think?:eek:

Of course not, we don't view any students as being in school to 'perform'. I don't even know what that means, I presume the poster who originally used that term meant achieve high grades in state-run assessments.

They are not there to 'perform', they are there to have their learning needs met, if the special educational need is mild, then academic achievement might be the learning need, if the SEN is severe, then the learning need might be located within civic and social development, or perhaps personal and practical skills.

We need to move away from viewing our students as pawns who will 'perform' for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Stacking the square bales in the fields and there was a special way to do it, you had to have the knots facing down and on the outside though I never actually learned why.
    Anyone know?

Don't know either but remember stooking the hay and my uncle then going around all the hay stooks and checking them, any not out and down had to be turned right way. Was only thinking about that the other day and still can't figure out why. Also is hay "stooks" the common word for them, thats what we called them but doesn't make sense noe??? Blast from the past, cheers.

• Advertisement

Of course not, we don't view any students as being in school to 'perform'. I don't even know what that means, I presume the poster who originally used that term meant achieve high grades in state-run assessments.

They are not there to 'perform', they are there to have their learning needs met, if the special educational need is mild, then academic achievement might be the learning need, if the SEN is severe, then the learning need might be located within civic and social development, or perhaps personal and practical skills.

We need to move away from viewing our students as pawns who will 'perform' for us.

In this context, I am using the word perform = childrens learning needs being met and the students are able to show their learning. The original quote was "performance based payrises" - This is not asking the children, but the teacher to show performance

For example
    Child does not know much/ anything about the topic
    Teacher facilitates lesson
    Student knows more about the topic
    Learning has taken place

The structure of state exams also needs to be revised. It does not take an individuals learning needs of each child in to account.

Although juggling & other circus skills are great to improve motor skills, stress relief, develops co-ordination ad balance, sharpens focus & concentration skills, exercise-strengthening and toning ...it is a great social after school club for children which could be provided in the school

After school club = A social activity run after school hours for the students, by the teachers

If SEN is severe, child should have an SNA who can help every class they are in (and I don't mean by just carrying their bag, helping them with their coat, I mean actually helping them with the lesson).

Also school holidays can't be shortened because the teachers would loose out on the lucrative side line of Home Tutoring SEN pupils -Why are schools not used to run sessions, teachers are being paid anyway? it'd be more sociable and beneficial for the students, but then teachers would loose their Primary school € 36.60 per hour. / Secondary € 40.10 per hour X 20 hours a week/student...on top of their wages, while the others are supervising/correcting exams

The teachers should not get extra payments for any of the above...and all should be run through the school

Advertisement