Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best city in Ireland

Options
  • 11-04-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

1zl56ba.jpg

**** ya!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

google probably just picked up that you were from galway and so included it in its search

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Naah. I'm in Tipp at the moment and it still comes up like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

google probably just picked up that you were from galway and so included it in its search

Going through a UK based proxy for work (Dublin office), get same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

hi Barry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Im behind a proxy in Hungary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Someone needs to fix that Yahoo Answers that's coming up as the first result.
    Can't have that sort of misinformation going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Google doesn't lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

then it is really true...galway is the best city in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

then it is really true...galway is the best city in ireland

Sure Is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Today FM were broadcasting live from Sligo last week. The Sligwegians (or whatever the natives call themselves) were trying to convince the listeners that Sligo is a city. There are probably more people living in Salthill than Sligo.

I often thought that Galway is just about a city. There are places in the UK that are bigger than Galway that are refereed to as towns. It made me wonder...what is the definition of a city? Is it size of population? History? Politics?

It can't be anything to do with universities or cathedrals; otherwise Maynooth and Tuam would be cities. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Today FM were broadcasting live from Sligo last week. The Sligwegians (or whatever the natives call themselves) were trying to convince the listeners that Sligo is a city. There are probably more people living in Salthill than Sligo.

I often thought that Galway is just about a city. There are places in the UK that are bigger than Galway that are refereed to as towns. It made me wonder...what is the definition of a city? Is it size of population? History? Politics?

It can't be anything to do with universities or cathedrals; otherwise Maynooth and Tuam would be cities. :rolleyes:

It's Politics, legally speaking in Ireland it's what's listed as a city in the local government act.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0037/sched5.html#sched5

There is also an interesting page about it on wikipedia.
    It lists some of the places looking to get city status like Sligo and Tallaght.
    Looks like Galway wasn't offically a city until 1985 :eek:

Also interesting from that entry is a James Hardiman's quote from his review of a 1651 map that Galway at the time "was universally acknowledged to be the most perfect city in the kingdom".
    So there you go even in 1651 Galway's superiority was acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

West Ireland is Best Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, I'm not sure that advertising what company you work for is such a crash-hot idea. I know it's not in text, and you posted during your lunch break, but even so. MS Paint can work wonders, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Galway is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

Paddyfield wrote: »

As a fellow "Sligwegian" living in galway i can assure you that sligo is NOT a city but a gateway town....its mad they where tryn to get city status during the boom times and have a city hall alot of signs will say city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I think Galway is the nicest city ah I have nice memories of sitting in the sun near the Spanish Arch chatting away with two other groups of people who were doing the same thing, aye its friendly enough.

Advertisement