Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vilnius

• 11-04-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

Without giving it too much thought, Herself and I have booked a city break in Vilnius (2 nights). Flights and hotel sorted; nothing else. We travel in mid-May.

Why are we, who might be categorised as a mature couple and fairly experienced travellers, going to Vilnius? I'd be grateful for some reasons (excuses).

I'd also be grateful for some "standard" advice, things like how to get from the airport to our hotel in the old town, money and prices, ATMs and CC use (esp. ATMs at airport), the joys or otherwise of Lithuanian cuisine, the ease of getting by using English, stuff like that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Vilnius is pleasant enough and certainly has more than enough to entertain for a 2 night trip. No problem at all using English in the tourist areas of town. The KGB museum gives a different perspective than the Baroque churches in the old town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Be careful getting a taxi from the airport. Agree the price before he leaves the airport. If your getting a taxi in Vilnius get the hotel to order it for you as its more expensive to pick one up on the street. Vilnius is relativly small and if your hotel is central its very easy to walk around and the side streets are fairly narrow but you nearly always end up at some spot that youve come across before. Some lithuanian food can be an acquired taste but their meat dishes are always good. Wine is becoming popular in restaurants now and anywhere that does food does beer. Piles Gatve has places that do the traditional dishes. Try the pink soup. If you want a good meal theres a lovely place called Bistro 18. Its one of the more classier places in Vilnius but not the easiest to find as its down a tiny side street. KGB museum is worth a visit. Think they close monday though. Few shopping centres around but most are a taxi ride away. Ozas and Akropolis are the best of the lot but better atmospehere and choice of restaurants in Akropolis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Don't work for them but in September as with every time I go to Vilnius the first thing I did was pick up an in your pocket guide. They're updated every few months, so will tell you exactly what's going on in the city at the time. Vilnius to me, well I just did a lot of wandering and looking at churches etc. This time we really wanted to do a balloon trip but the wind wasn't right.
    Also, wanted to stay in the Shakespeare hotel. I'd wanted to stay there since I was a broke English teacher in Minsk 8 years ago, but even not so broke I tried to wait for a last minute deal and it was then full. We did eat there, but while it was nice I wouldn't rush back, there are plenty of nice restaurants in the city.
    http://www.mintvinetu.com/en a bookshop we were introduced to. Well, we kind of had a guide, somebody we met on couchsurfing, she showed us plenty of places I wouldn't have seen before, the jewish quarter for example.
    We went out to Trakai too, a little bit out of town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thanks for the replies, people.

I gather the taxi situation is a bit like Budapest, where if you take the first car you find they can quite legally charge at a high rate, but if you book one from certain operators, they are far cheaper. I also found mention of a desk in the airport where you can book a cab and get a good rate (about half of what you would pay a taxi you pick up outside). Has anybody used this service, and can they report on it? We will be landing at about 2300, if that makes a difference.

Never taken a taxi from the airport but I know people who took a taxi last year and were fleeced. Ive read the same issues on Lithuanian forums and theyve advised that its best to ring and order. Should be a good few taxis there at 11pm but other transport options are non existent. Which Hotel are you staying in? Also the Vilnius in your pocket guides are a good idea and list all teh good restaurants, bars, cafes and sites.

• Advertisement

Thanks, neris.

It looks like we will have to take a taxi, and I have a dislike of being fleeced. Being taken for a mug can annoy me more than the money. I have had a look at the In Your Pocket guide and it tells me that taking a car from the airport rank might cost me about 80Lt (about €25). It's not too clear about what number I should call to book a (cheaper) cab, and it appears that the desk service at the airport is closed in the evenings. I'll figure something out! If you can recommend some taxi firm, I'd be very grateful.

We are staying in the Ramada, which looks like a bit of luxury (we got a good package).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Your hotel should definitely be able to book the taxi for you! I went with a friend in 2010 and when we had to get back to the airport we told the hotel how much currency we had left and they agreed the price with the taxi company on the phone. We had got the taxi from the airport ourselves (just hopped into it) and it was 70 litas, the return was 30 litas. We were really kicking ourselves we didn't ask the hotel to book the taxi for our arrival too! (Everyone there knows to book the taxi in advance - it wouldn't be considered "being precious" or anything to request the hotel to do it.)

There are ATMs in the arrival hall (it's a pretty small airport). Credit cards would also be widely accepted.

Another thing, my phone (Vodafone pre-pay) didn't work over there, my friend's Vodafone billpay was fine.

I recommend the KGB museum, tower hill, the Green House holocaust museum, and plenty of wandering about the Old Town. I second the Bistro 18 recommendation, also there are a few good restaurants around the Cathedral Square, including an Indian and and Italian.

You'll be fine with English in most of the Old Town.

It's a really pretty city (Old Town) and was very clean when we were there. We also felt pretty safe walking about.

Thanks, RoseBlossom. I'll contact the hotel shortly before we depart.

I hadn't even thought to worry about phones: I'm used to finding my phone works throughout Europe. Happily, I'm on billpay, so I can be optimistic.

Found a website for Bistro 18. Looks promising.

I got these numbers for taxi companies from a Lithuanian forum. Dont know how reliable they are but Im sure you can agree a price.

- Ekipazas (1446)
    - Euro Taxi (1465)
    - Romerta (1420)

And dont forget to chage your money into Litas before you go

Thanks, neris, Numbers now in my travel file.

I was assuming that I could get Litas at an ATM in the airport - should be far cheaper than asking my bank to order some for me. Is that unwise?

• Advertisement

there is an atm in the arrivals airport alright which should do you fine. Theres loads of atms around vilnius if u needed the taxi to stop on the way to the hotel. The exchange rate is about €1 = 3.45lts. The ramada is in a good spot just off red square loads of places to eat and drink around there aswell and the hotel has a nice bar and food.

Okay, folks, your final chance to shape our programme: we are off on Tuesday, flying from Dublin at 1800 and arriving in Vilnius at 2305. Returning on Thursday night, very late.

The hotel has arranged a car to collect us from the airport for 50Lt; the weather forecast has been checked (looking good); the KGB Museum is on our list; we will probably try to get fed at Bistro 18; Vilnius in Your Pocket has been downloaded and is in my notebook; of course we will ramble around the old town and find stuff.

Are we in good shape for a two-day visit?

Then plan is working so far. We are now installed in our hotel, which seems to be right in the middle of things. Late meal (Spanish style). Had a quick look at our neighbourhood. A lot of baroque architecture. Echoes of Budapest and Bratislava. Looks promising.

Weather variable - varying between moderate rain and heavy rain. Places with roofs are preferred. So far, one cathedral, several churches, both RC and Orthodox, one art gallery, a couple of coffee shops. The National Museum is closed. We were prepared to take on the hill and the weather to visit the old castle, but the pathway was closed off before we got far up the hill.

Bistro 18 booked for tonight. Lithuanians eat early, between 6 and 7: that's between 4 and 5 according to our body clocks.

We're home now. I think it rained for 46 of our 48 hours, so we did more churches and a couple of museums yesterday (Vilnius ain't short of churches, possibly a higher concentration than in Rome).

The KGB Museum (also known as the Genocide Museum) was interesting, but I was a bit uncomfortable with how the Lithuanians represented things. This is not the forum for debating such matters, but if you visit the place, I invite you to question things in your mind.

Two observations, both of which might be inaccurate, but which struck me quite forcibly:
    - Lithuanians can be very engaging when you have a basis for dealing with them, but they do not seem to observe what I would consider small courtesies: stand aside to let somebody past, or hold a door for somebody, and you might be totally unacknowledged - not even a nod.
    - Lithuanians do not seem to mind rain. Even long-haired ones (male and female) without umbrella, hat, or raingear walked through heavy rain as if it were a dry day.

We're home now. I think it rained for 46 of our 48 hours, so we did more churches and a couple of museums yesterday (Vilnius ain't short of churches, possibly a higher concentration than in Rome).

The KGB Museum (also known as the Genocide Museum) was interesting, but I was a bit uncomfortable with how the Lithuanians represented things. This is not the forum for debating such matters, but if you visit the place, I invite you to question things in your mind.

Two observations, both of which might be inaccurate, but which struck me quite forcibly:
    - Lithuanians can be very engaging when you have a basis for dealing with them, but they do not seem to observe what I would consider small courtesies: stand aside to let somebody past, or hold a door for somebody, and you might be totally unacknowledged - not even a nod.
    - Lithuanians do not seem to mind rain. Even long-haired ones (male and female) without umbrella, hat, or raingear walked through heavy rain as if it were a dry day.

Hope you had a decent enough time weather apart. Aparently the week before was in the 20s and sunny.

I agree with you on the courtesy thing. I find most lithuanians can be quite rude and unpersonal. Not so bad around the very touristy areas in bars cafes and hotels. where their trained to interact and smile. I hate their big supermarket chain Maxima coz the women on the tills never smile or acknowledge you and you feel like your interupting them in doing nothing. I think the whole manners thing is a throw back from the soviet era. (reading a book on Russia at the moment and similar mannerism were spotted by that books author) Have to say Ive never really noticed bout the rain. I think the kgb museum have probly twisted things a bit to suit the Lithuanian version of things as happens in most oppresed societies

Yes, we did enjoy ourselves very much, thank you.

It had crossed my mind that the slowness to engage in small courtesies might be a result of life under an oppressive regime. On the other side, when we were looking for the KGB Museum we entered the building by the wrong door, and asked a young woman where we should go. She came out with us into the pouring rain (long hair, indoor clothing) and walked is to the right entrance about 150 metres away, then returned towards where we had met her.

Another observation: a high proportion of Lithuanian women seem to wear clothing that accentuates their bottoms. Often nice to see, but sometimes their courage is misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Any recommendations for Vilnius for 4 days in February?
    Top attractions, food,drink, tours?

Travel tips? Bus/Train tickets?

Any ideas appreciated

This thread seems to be the most recent on boards with the most info on day to day experiences of a short trip-Wonder if anyone else has been since?

you,ll need a good coat weather will be slightly colder then here and maybe snow, however they have had a very mild winter this year and more chilly & wet then freezing and snow. KGB museum is a good place to go and see and the castle and both within walking distance. you can try a day trip/half day trip out Trakai which is a castle in the middle of a lake. If you want to do some shopping theres 2 centres near each other. Ozas & Akropolis. Ozas has the better selection of shops and less packed, but Akropolis has a better selection of places to eat and an ice rink. If you do eat there avoid Soya the asian/sushi place, the service is absolutely dire and the worst Ive ever come across in Lithuania. If you are eating in restaurants around town try order drinks as your sitting down. The next time you see a waiter will be to take a food & drink order and you could be waiting a while, I find the service in restaurants over there absolutely dire. Drinks wise Svyturus Ekstra is the main beer its ok but can be gassy but most places have a small selection of other type of beer (normally Svyturus brands). Its relatively cheap place to eat out. Cant really recommend any where as good in the city centre as dont really there when over. Forto Darvas on Piles is decent enough for traditional lithuanian food, loads of pizza restaurant chains and coffee shops around. Its the one place Ive been where there is no irish bar

• Advertisement

Some great bits of info there, thanks a million!
    Any other must do's appreciated

Advertisement