Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a little help with recipe

Options
  • 11-04-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,,
    I need a little advice with my recipes. I’m doing two all grain brews on Friday night. One is a pilsner and one is an IPA.
    Pilsner recipe- 20 litre 6kg of Pilsner crushed malt,.5kg of Whole Grain Wheat,Boil for 60 mins, Saaz Hops 55g at 60mins and 30g at 15mins , Yeast- White Labs Pilsner Lager Yeast at 16 degrees C
    Primary fermenter for 10 days at 12 degrees C then racked to secondary at 4 degrees C for three weeks. Then bottle for three weeks

IPA 20 litre, .5kg of Whole Grain Wheat ,1kg of Crystal Crushed, .5kg of Special B crushed, 3kg of Munich, Chinook Hops boil for 90 mins, 33g at 90, 33g at 60 and 33g at 15., Irish Moss, White Labs Pacific Ale Yeast. 18 degrees C
    Two weeks in primary, then bottle for three weeks.
    I cool my wort by placing my brew kettle in a wheelie bin full of ice with a lid on brewkettle. It cools in about 25 mins.

How do recipes look am I missing anything or doing anything wrong. I have brewed these recipes twice now and they seem ok but nothing special.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The IPA looks a bit top-heavy, hopwise. I'd add more at 0 minutes, and dry hop as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I would remove the special b unless your are looking to make an America amber, although amber are nice

One issue is the lager yeast will need a big starter, double what you will have to use for an ale yeast. You maybe be cutting it very fine to get it to ferment out a 4 liters starter by Friday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

I have my yeast started since yesterday and its going ok. Can you explain why not to add special B I love the amber look of this IPA.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Can you explain why not to add special B I love the amber look of this IPA.
    thanks

Its just pushing it more of a amber than an standard IPA, that all. But has been some color creep with America IPA's over the last number of years. special B can be very nice arrogant basted is supposed to be just pale malt and special B :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

11 kg for you pilsner recipe is far too high for 20L.. It should be half that.. For 20L I'd only use 4.5kg in total.. A 90 min boil is recommended if using pilsner malt to reduce dms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

11 kg for you pilsner recipe is far too high for 20L.. It should be half that.. For 20L I'd only use 4.5kg in total.. A 90 min boil is recommended if using pilsner malt to reduce dms.

It is 0.5kg wheat in the pilsner recipe, giving 6.5kg in total. 11kg for a 20L batch would be pretty strong and more of a wheat beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

My bad didn't see the decimal.. Best of luck with the brew

Advertisement