Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XPS 720 H2C upgrade advice sought

Options
  • 11-04-2012 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Any advice on what to upgrade here on on this spec to be able to play the latest games if possible?

Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6850 Factory Overclocked to 3.67GHz
    Dual 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    1000 Watt Power Supply
    7-slot BTX motherboard
    4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

its very difficult to upgrade those PCs because of their odd standards.

either way, you can upgrade the GPUs and it'll see you through another while. be sure to get a card with a reference design that exhausts air out the back of the case and not dumps it inside. what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

something like 6950 wont be bottle necked in this. i would not bother going anything higher though as cpu will make it useless. 7850 would work too ( maybeish )

a 6950 could be got cheaply second hand, but I cant stress enough at this that you need a reference design card, and good luck finding a reference 6950 :(

Why reference?!

the CPU cooler gets fecked if you dump hot air into the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

How much can you spend on an upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Burgo wrote: »
    How much can you spend on an upgrade?

I had not thought about budget because I did not know what I could upgrade here but I don't mind spending a bit to extend the life of this machine if its worth it,thanks for the advice so far

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    I had not thought about budget because I did not know what I could upgrade here but I don't mind spending a bit to extend the life of this machine if its worth it,thanks for the advice so far

I dunno about 720, but I have 6870 non reference design in xps 420 and all works great. CPU newer had any problems. If it is really so bad, he can just leave a door open.i did that in begginig just to see how hot gpu gets.

Op, I am not recommending spending a lot of money in to dell upgrading. been there, done that. Depending on your budget you better off getting a new self built system. Dells are just nom upgradable pass gpu upgrade.

Advertisement