Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit purchase

Options
  • 11-04-2012 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll soon be buying a wetsuit and have a few concerns with my size.

I'm 5 9 and 16 stone so not the smallest so worried that i won't get something to fit me.

Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Go to a shop and try one on?

I heard Base2Race let you try them in their pool so you know how it will perform. I've never been there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I heard Base2Race let you try them in their pool so you know how it will perform. I've never been there though.

Are they part of amphibian king ? Looks good as i have a gift voucher for amphibian king.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Elvis, you should be fine with getting fitted for a suit.

Some of the suits for the larger frame will be bigger all round so, for example, the Large or Extra Large in a wetsuit will generally be suited for taller people but with some brands (2XU) you can trim down the arms & legs without voiding your warranty if you wanted to. Usually it isn't a problem for people.

Just for clarity Amphibian King in Ballymount is the running shop in Base2Race. You also have VeloMotion (doing bikes), the Swim School (swim & wetsuits) , DK Orthotics (as the name suggests & sports massage) & nutrition all under the one roof.

Amphibian King in Bray & Oranmore provide triathlon gear, wetsuit advice & fitting as well as the odd pair of runners & nutrition. We just don't do bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was the exact same size as you Elvis when I bought my first wetsuit and I got one no problem - an Orca Equip. Only thing is that given your size you should try on in a shop rather than buying online without testing. IIRC my Orca was a very strange size that bore no relationship with my actual height - medium build six foot plus sort of thing :)

Yeah i intend to buy in store !

Lucky me will have to buy 2 as my wife is now getting involved in tri as well:D

• Advertisement

Also to add, will any alterations do it for me ?????? I know the legs will have to be shortened for definite !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

stanley-pro-stainless-steel-scissors-00101623M.jpg

Oh that i can do:D

But does it not need to be done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Nope, I have read other people cutting the legs etc.. for ease of getting the suit off over your ankles. I think the main thing is not to cut about the seem lines, when you get the suit these should be pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

For peace of mind you'll probably be better off bringing it in to Louis Copeland and he'll take it up for you! :D

• Advertisement

Just to highlight this.

Only 2XU warranty is unaffected by trimming the suits. All other brands you will void your warranty on a new suit by cutting it.

On the 2XU there is about 7-8cm of welded seam that you can trim into on the legs and arms without having an issue.

So i could get this and take my sheers to it

http://www.amphibianking.ie/product_info.php?products_id=232

So i could get this and take my sheers to it

http://www.amphibianking.ie/product_info.php?products_id=232

If you really wanted to, yes you can. Get fitted first, you could be surprised by the range of sizes available to suit all body shapes, sizes and heights so don't go sharpening the scissors just yet. :)

Heading up after Athy to look at the TYR C1:)

A big thank you to amphkingwest,

I headed down to him this morning and now the proud owner of a 2XU R2.

Great service, patience and a great price !

Very happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Are you always better buying from a bricks and mortar shop first time around, rather than online?

I'm on a tight budget for wetsuit (€170 or less), so some of the online deals are really very tempting, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk if it doesn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

For a first time wetsuit personally I'd get fitted in a bricks and mortar shop.

I'm sure you could try on a second hand suit if it's in person and get a feel for it, buy I wouldn't buy from any online deals. I've found the sizing charts from most brands useless, but I could just be a funny build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭johnnyb1

I havent a clue regards wetsuits but I have a budget of 300euro can anyone recommend a good wetsuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Bought a wetsuit today, in Marrey's in Ballinrobe (was down in Mayo for the few days so popped in). Was reduced from €270 to €159, so happy enough with that. Price compared very well to the same suit online.

No excuses now.

Advertisement