Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Good Hostel in Brisbane??

Options
  • 11-04-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Myself and my friend are travelling to Brisbane in Sept 2012 on a WHV.

Can anyone recommend a decent hostel that is centrally located but cheap and cheerful at the same time :) We are not too fussy and wont mind sharing a room with other people.

All recommendations appreciated thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I know you said hostels but when I stayed there for a few days I stayed in Annie's B&B. Was cheap enough and the owners were really really nice. Smack bang in the city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

I stayed in Somewhere to Stay hostel in West end. Pretty good deals though be prepared to share a room with long term residents. Rem I stayed with a Japanese Vampire girl (used to come in at night and switch the light on then sleep all day) Also remember 2 drunk lads getting arrested there for bashing up a taxi after they wouldn't pay the fare one night. Apart from that nothing strange.

Chill is another place I stayed (2nd) visit. Near Roma St Train Station. No air conditioning and place was noisy at weekends. Had a cinema lounge and nice rooftop area.

Didn't stay in Tinbilly's but heard great reports about it. Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fizzlefozzle

I stayed in the YHA and did not have a problem with it in Brisbane. It's a little more expensive, unless you buy in bulk, like a few days at a time.

It's very clean and professional, and if you buy the days together, just as cheap as the other hostels.

The people are generally more mature, I reckon (Since cost is a bit higher?_ -- the kitchens upstairs are very clean. It has a small bar and food is great. There are like tv lounges on each floor.

When I stayed there, not all rooms were full. I guess it depends when you stay. Each person gets a private locker too.

It's a fair walk into town, but it's doable walk.

There is a big supermarket just across the road for supplies though.

Always spend a couple of days in one place before you dedicate yourself to longer. Sometimes you might just hate the place, but once you are there, in Brisbane, you can always shop around for a different hostel. Theres couple more on same street.

I think I tried one on same street, but I preferred the YHA, because some hostels are just dumps.

Man, I'd love to be back in OZ :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Central is a good hostel if your looking to be in the centre of the city, and be surrounded by young backapckers, which means its easy to get talking to new people.

Its actually quite clean and tidy the place for price, with good showers and facilities like job Centre, internet access, travel guides etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tin Billy's. I'll be spending a fair chunk of this weekend in their bar and have friends staying there who highly recommend it.

Rght beside the Roma St train station as well which is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

If you are looking for a hostel to pretty much live in while you organise job, accom etc. I'd recommend bunk hostel. It has a really good kitchen for cooking all your meals and stuff and its not that expensive. Its located here in the valley. I lived there for like a month when I first arrived in Brisbane last year. I've been here for almost a year now and love Brisbane. Its an awesome city, small but awesome :-) Really well located for travelling the east coast at the weekends etc too. If you are just passing through then base is the most centrally located hostel. Pretty good nightlife there too, Tinbillys is also quite good. Feel free to ask any brisbane related questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Avoid aussie way hostel near petra terrace .small hostel Full of tossers drinking and smoking the whole time with noise all night . Not a place to try live and work . It was actually recommended to me by a girl frm meath in Sydney . So becareful with recommendations ! People have different ideas . I actually booked in and paid for a week in advance so my advice just stay in a place for night or two and figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Hi guys,

For my first few days in Brisbane im thinking about booking into the Bunk Hostel. I had a recommendation of it from a friend but thenw hen i googled it i got some dodgy results about cockroaches everywhere.

Anyone have any personal experiences of it?

Cheers!

Advertisement