Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Dunne on 4fm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I agree that Ben Dunne is a complete twat but you have no right to criticize his religious beliefs. He may have been spouting them out on the radio, if you dont like it, turn to a different channel. You cant prove there is no god any more than he can prove there is one...

Yes I do, particularly when he sees fit to shove them down everybodies throats for 6 minutes without even an acknowledgement that Christians/Catholics aren't the only ****ing people living in this country. And on top of that it was an aggressive stance, I dont think he actually said a word without shouting it. So yeah, **** Ben Dunne and his views. We can do without imbeciles like that trying to drag our country back to 1950.

P.S: I'm not starting this religion debate with you but the onus is on the believer to prove something exists, not the skeptic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

DarkJager wrote: »
    P.S: I'm not starting this religion debate with you but the onus is on the believer to prove something exists, not the skeptic.

Actually, that's not quite true, as proof would deny their faith, and their entire system is based on that faith. Ergo, they have no need to prove the existence of any deity they choose to believe in. Although even then God doesn't actually exist seeing as he's(?) a man-made entity in his(?) entirety. Back to the topic of choice... Ben Dunne is corrupt yada yada yada...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Hair dryers. Not hand dryers. They were on a cord so a leprechaun could dry it's balls with them if it pleased.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I had originally read "Hair Dryers" as "Hand Dryers". :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Sounds to me like Ben is doing a bit of bargaining with God in the Autumn of his life;)

No hoor, like a reformed hoor!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Since when did it become the dunne thing to dry your crotch with a hairdryer after a shower? Personally I enjoy a nice moist sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Ben there Dunne dat

Its all Ben Dunne before.

etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

He came across as a total nut job, but just as disturbing were the amount of people ringing/texting in support of him.

I texted in supporting him. He was bang on the money.

Dubit10 wrote: »

I texted in supporting him. He was bang on the money.

I'd be interested to know what logical reason you could have for agreeing with such an overblown load of bollix. People like him and the ones who supported him are very clearly clutching at whatever straws of catholicism/Christianity are left in this country. Would you rather the good old days of the parish priest walking around like a celebrity and touching up little boys?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I listen to that Harvey show the odd time. It gives a voice to complete retards who don't deserve to be listened to day after day. It is genuinely enjoyable listening to these morons. Maybe you have to be a non idiot AH regular to appreciate it on the level I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I'd be interested to know what logical reason you could have for agreeing with such an overblown load of bollix. People like him and the ones who supported him are very clearly clutching at whatever straws of catholicism/Christianity are left in this country. Would you rather the good old days of the parish priest walking around like a celebrity and touching up little boys?

Can't wait for the answer to this!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Yes I do, particularly when he sees fit to shove them down everybodies throats for 6 minutes without even an acknowledgement that Christians/Catholics aren't the only ****ing people living in this country. And on top of that it was an aggressive stance, I dont think he actually said a word without shouting it. So yeah, **** Ben Dunne and his views. We can do without imbeciles like that trying to drag our country back to 1950.

I haven't listened to what he said, but what about expressing a faith in Jesus has to do with dragging Ireland back to 1950's?

Whether people like it or not, Christianity is growing globally even if it is receding in the Western world and it will be with us for a very long time. It is as much if not more a feature of the 21st century as it was in the 20th.

I'm more than happy to listen to why people disagreed with the substance of what he said, but that is what the focus should be on rather than a subtle attempt to tar all Christians as being regressive.

Not at all, I would rather the idea of people accepting Jesus Christ and living and speaking for Him in daily life though, if I'm being brutally honest with you.

philologos wrote: »

I haven't listened to what he said, but what about expressing a faith in Jesus has to do with dragging Ireland back to 1950's?

This was real old school christian arrogance, practically saying Christianity owns Ireland and nobody else matters. He even described Labour as a "bunch of atheists" with a real venom to his words. I've never actually shouted "shut the **** up you ridiculous imbecile" at a radio, but it happened today.
    Whether people like it or not, Christianity is growing globally even if it is receding in the Western world and it will be with us for a very long time. It is as much if not more a feature of the 21st century as it was in the 20th.

I'm more than happy to listen to why people disagreed with the substance of what he said, but that is what the focus should be on rather than a subtle attempt to tar all Christians as being regressive.

I'm not tarring all Christians at all, but this asshole made me rage. Pure militant stance to multiculturalism because his precious christianity is becoming a personal experience rather than a state funded one.

I'd really urge you to listen to it and make up your own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I heard it and I was doing the wee dance it was so funny. And the people who texted and rang in in support of this BS really made me cringe and laugh at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Not at all, I would rather the idea of people accepting Jesus Christ and living and speaking for Him in daily life though, if I'm being brutally honest with you.
    He's rather more of the "this is the Word and even if you don't bekeive, you should have to live by it anyway" style of christianuty though.

Nevore wrote: »
    He's rather more of the "this is the Word and even if you don't bekeive, you should have to live by it anyway" style of christianuty though.

Well, simply put. People can choose to live as they want.

It is fair enough IMO, to say that people should follow Jesus and be saved from their sins by putting faith in Him. That's Christianity 101, and that's the way it has been from the beginning. Christianity does teach that the only way mankind can be forgiven from sin is through Jesus (John 14:6 for example), and that those who reject Him will be condemned (John 3:16-18).

Others have the liberty to disagree, sure. Ultimately something is true though and ultimately that has consequences. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I don't know how he put it across, but the idea that it is unreasonable for Christians to say that even though people don't believe, that Christianity is still what is best isn't common Christian belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭veronymus

May I ask why you think that is the case? From my perspective, I imagine the change has come about because people in the Western world have the capacity to and do question things that they would in the past have taken as gospel (pardon pun).

The fact that Christianity is on the increase throughout Africa is very telling in that those people don't have the same freedom of expression as we do in the West, nor access to media and research to the extent that we do. Add into the mix a heavy presence of Missionaries. These people can hardly be called enlightened no matter which side of the fence you sit on.

I have no doubt that Christianity will be thriving well into the 21st century and probably beyond. The reasons for that though are often questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

bendunnereligion.com

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭veronymus

woodoo wrote: »
    bendunnereligion.com

Cheaper than its competitors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Religion is the last vice when you've snorted all the coke, shagged all the whores, smoked all the fags and drank the place dry. I wonder would God have saved Ben if he jumped in Florida?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ThinkingTom

Maybe Ben Dune came across as a emotional rant, but there is a clear anti-Christian agenda in a minority circle, (look at the latests statistics that came out to see where people are at - and whose the minority, I was very surprised to say the least) that seems to think they can shove their belief down peoples throats also. Their religion of false tolerance to anything as long as it isn't some faith - especially Christian faith is just a disguise and very well disguise at that, to their desire to also control. Don't be so easily fooled, even if it does play to your own personal desires.
    I didn't hear Ben today but did hear some of the comments after on 4FM. To say that he was ranting maybe true and even aggressive. But I can see here some posts that are just as aggressive, usual rants and disrespectful personal tactics against a Christian faith here.
    I am glad, even if poorly done :-) , someone said what is not considered PC or welcomed in the liberal controlled media what many are thinking. But wonder can people actual think and talk about it - with some sense of 'what's best for society, rather than clichéd and weak demonising arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Seachmall wrote: »
    The prostitute-riding, cocaine-snorting, politician-bribing arsehole?

A man of high-class for sure, definitely someone worth listening to.
    Ben for taoiseach it is, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

This was real old school christian arrogance, practically saying Christianity owns Ireland and nobody else matters. He even described Labour as a "bunch of atheists" with a real venom to his words. I've never actually shouted "shut the **** up you ridiculous imbecile" at a radio, but it happened today.

I'm not tarring all Christians at all, but this asshole made me rage. Pure militant stance to multiculturalism because his precious christianity is becoming a personal experience rather than a state funded one.

I'd really urge you to listen to it and make up your own mind.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Anyone else hear this ****ing imbecile on David Harvey a while ago? Ranting about giving 2 fingers to Europe because "they're trying to take our Christianity" and "only the Lord can save us".

He managed to make himself sound like a religious fascist with the talk out of him. I despair for this country with indoctrinated assholes like this spouting this bull**** rhetoric.

you know 4fm is the ultimate trolling station ( on par with fm104's " night time radio show " )

they purposely look for people like him so they get eejits like you to text or call in and thus, repeat the cycle.

each to their own i guess ?

veronymus wrote: »
    May I ask why you think that is the case? From my perspective, I imagine the change has come about because people in the Western world have the capacity to and do question things that they would in the past have taken as gospel (pardon pun).

The fact that Christianity is on the increase throughout Africa is very telling in that those people don't have the same freedom of expression as we do in the West, nor access to media and research to the extent that we do. Add into the mix a heavy presence of Missionaries. These people can hardly be called enlightened no matter which side of the fence you sit on.

I have no doubt that Christianity will be thriving well into the 21st century and probably beyond. The reasons for that though are often questionable.

I can't believe as many people thanked this post.

Firstly - most growth in happening in countries which are traditionally non-Christian. Why would they be "forced" to follow Christianity by anyone.

Secondly - from knowing a number of missionaries who've been sent out to countries as varied from secular Europe, to the African content, and South East Asia (China, Japan, South Korea), for the most part these are just regular people like you and I who simply want to tell people about Jesus Christ. Many of them going to the lengths of immersing themselves in a new language and culture to do so. By the by, I don't see why these people are any less "enlightened" than any atheist. That's just idle rhetoric, which can and IMO should be ignored.

Thirdly - The idea that people are forced to become Christians in these areas is about as silly as saying, well because people were forced to become atheists under communist regimes, that atheism grows through coercion. It's bad logic.

Fourthly - The freedom of expression argument is null. In many of the countries I'm speaking of, it's actually illegal to openly practice Christianity. In China for example Christians have been killed for their faith in Jesus, yet it is still estimated that about 10% of the population believe and trust in Him. Is that coercion? No, of course not. The same is true of what I've heard about Christianity growing in parts of the Middle East, but it is a little bit more difficult to gauge the exact numbers there.

Simply put there are quite a few flaws in your argument, and I hope you could address them if you get time. If not no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

'ARE YA LISTENING JACKIE SKELLY'
    I used to hate them ads:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hi DarkJagger.

Christian != Church

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 milnerrm

I was infuriated by Ben Dunne's moronic rant on 4fm yesterday afternoon and couldn't believe the support that was evident in the response from the listeners of the show! Very disheartening...

I was reminded of this Bertrand Russell quote; 'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt.'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

milnerrm wrote: »
    I was infuriated by Ben Dunne's moronic rant on 4fm yesterday afternoon and couldn't believe the support that was evident in the response from the listeners of the show! Very disheartening...

I was reminded of this Bertrand Russell quote; 'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt.'

The cross-section of the population which enjoys the ill-informed rantings David Harvey inflicts on the airwaves daily is not representative of any kind of majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 milnerrm

Agreed, however I wasn't trying to claim that the response to the interview was representative of any kind of majority, it was simply the realization of the fact that his nonsense resonated with any audience at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think he also said something about holding his vote on lisbon to ransom to save the angelus? Spectacular way to make a complete ****ing fool out of yourself on national radio...

Lol. Sounds like a disciple of the Jim Corr School of International Relations and Politics.
    I'm not tarring all Christians at all, but this asshole made me rage....

Coolio, so it's just about Ben Dunne as an individual then...
    ...though I can't help but have that attitude to anyone who wants to lecture on imaginary friends in the sky.

Oh. :(

Ben Dunne sounds like he is not a well man (and I have reasons to believe he isn't). I also found some of the remarks in regards to the IRA on the first page of this thread disgusting.

Advertisement