Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fez

Options
  • 11-04-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

Since I've been looking forward to this game since the original trailer back in 2007 I thought I may as well create a thread about this since it's finally out on Friday. :)

For those who don't know what it is, Fez is a 2D/3D platformer designed by Phil Fish and developed by the rest of the team at Polytron. The core mechanic is the ability to rotate the gameworld so as to change how the protagonist, Gomez, can interact with it. Both of the videos above will give you a good idea of how the game works.

Reviews so far...

Destructoid: 9/10
    Kotaku: YES
    IGN Video Review
    EDGE: 9/10
    Eurogamer: 10/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Weekend gaming:

Can't wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mr E wrote: »
    Weekend gaming:

Can't wait. :)

The points in my account have been waiting on this one for a long time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's 800 right? I've got 1150 in my account and it just can't be 1200. IT CAN'T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

It's 800 right? I've got 1150 in my account and it just can't be 1200. IT CAN'T.

Indeed, it's 800 :) Great to see a fairly high profile game come out for 800... was starting to feel like 1200 had become standard!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have 500 points: curse you Microsoft and your silly payment options!

I very much like the look of it, although Fish's comments a few weeks ago didn't sit right with me. Don't know if I could deny myself an interesting and inventive indie game though.

Fun > Morals ?

• Advertisement

HMV in Grafton Street are still selling 4000 points for €35 in COD Elite packaging if anyone needs them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of look like it nicks a lot from the Paper Mario series. Also Fish has made himself look like a complete bellend lately with the comments he is coming out with. However if it's fun I'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Yell0 Man

Can't wait for this, the reviews have been glowing and at €10 it sounds like a steal, plus Trials Evolution next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

is this from the same developer that was talking **** bout japaneese developers , look like he borrowed heavy from cave story look:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

is this from the same developer that was talking **** bout japaneese developers , look like he borrowed heavy from cave story look:pac:
    He talked **** about Japanese games, not the developers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

gizmo wrote: »

i stand corrected , though he still seems like an ass :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭megaten

Sounds like it's quite good. I heard it's very glitchy though so I'll wait for a PC release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ahh, that guy.
    Actually thought he was spot on, tbh.

But regardless fez looks like it's well worth the money, I just need to find me a 360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He would seem spot on if you look at the home consoles. However japanese development has moved to handhelds and the output on handhelds has been extremely high quality. Saying that japanese videogames are crap is not just a gross generalisation but completely wrong and short sighted as well.

Now if he said that japanese development practises were going to get them in trouble I'd agree. Concentrating on the handheld market is keeping them very insular and shrunk the market for their games. As for the likes of Konami and Capcom trying to emulate western games and outsourcing to terrible western companies, there's definitely something wrong there. But then again he is ignoring the likes of Sega, Nintendo and Platinum that are still churning out some great stuff on the home consoles and not just handhelds. He just came accross as really uninformed and out to gain publicity when he said that all games from japan were crap.

Anyway, seems the game is good so I'll pick it up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Is this coming to iOS soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I bought some MS Points yesterday for the first time in years just for Fez. I hope it lives up to the hype. Plus I hope the discussion can move on from the ramblings of it's creator and concentrate on the game.

Will download this as soon as I get home.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He would seem spot on if you look at the home consoles. However japanese development has moved to handhelds and the output on handhelds has been extremely high quality. Saying that japanese videogames are crap is not just a gross generalisation but completely wrong and short sighted as well.

Now if he said that japanese development practises were going to get them in trouble I'd agree. Concentrating on the handheld market is keeping them very insular and shrunk the market for their games. As for the likes of Konami and Capcom trying to emulate western games and outsourcing to terrible western companies, there's definitely something wrong there. But then again he is ignoring the likes of Sega, Nintendo and Platinum that are still churning out some great stuff on the home consoles and not just handhelds. He just came accross as really uninformed and out to gain publicity when he said that all games from japan were crap.

Anyway, seems the game is good so I'll pick it up eventually.

All I know is my immediate reaction was he was wrong and stupid, then on a whim I had a look over the games I've bought in the past two years and the ones I'm looking forward to this year. Japan doesn't even get a look in.

So as far as I'm concerned he's spot on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anyone else finding it kinda buggy?

I'm able to kinda twist myself out of the worldmap, almost got stuck into an infinite loop of respawn/die/respawn die as he kept falling into blackness but somehow it righted itself

Ahh, that guy.
    Actually thought he was spot on, tbh.
    Whatever about his own opinion I think the forum he chose to express those opinions wasn't on. :o
    All I know is my immediate reaction was he was wrong and stupid, then on a whim I had a look over the games I've bought in the past two years and the ones I'm looking forward to this year. Japan doesn't even get a look in.
    Not looking forward to Dragon's Dogma next month, Lollipop Chainsaw in June or Anarchy Reigns in July?
    grizzly wrote: »
    Is this coming to iOS soon?
    It was published by MS so I doubt we'll see it on any platform other than the PC any time soon.
    Even in the face of recent games such as Street Fighter IV, Binary Domain, Demons/Dark Souls, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword?

• Advertisement

Even in the face of recent games such as Street Fighter IV, Binary Domain, Demons/Dark Souls, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword?

Which is why I said it would seem so and then name checked Nintendo, Sega and Platinum as three companies that completely go against what Fish was saying. Also there was no western game that could touch Dark Souls last year for sheer brilliance.

Which is why I said it would seem so and then name checked Nintendo, Sega and Platinum as three companies that completely go against what Fish was saying. Also there was no western game that could touch Dark Souls last year for sheer brilliance.
    So you did, total reading fail. :o

Whatever about his own opinion I think the forum he chose to express those opinions wasn't on. :o

maybe, but on the flip side - if you're of that opinion and people seem to care what you think about games then what are you supposed to do? Not say anything, ever? I can't really think of a diplomatic venue for saying what he said, perhaps more diplomatic phrasing. But then, why sugar coat it?

All that aside I doubt the forum he chose for expressing that opinion really has anything to do with peoples objections to what he's saying.
    Not looking forward to Dragon's Dogma next month, Lollipop Chainsaw in June or Anarchy Reigns in July?

Nope, not at all. Did you imagine I'd simply not heard about them or something?

Right now, what Japanese developers seem to be producing simply does nothing for me. That's not to say that they are now and forever completely irrelevant to me, but it's looking unlikely that I'll be giving much of a fuck what comes out of Japan for the forseeable future.

News which, I'm sure, has them devastated.

Dragon's Dogma is a maybe, Anarchy Reigns a probably not after the disappointment of Mad World and Lollipop Chainsaw a juvenile embarassment that I'd honestly be ashamed to let other people see me playing.

Back on topic though and Fez after just 30 minutes this morning is already just amazing. There's an intangible charm about it and the soundtrack is stunning - reminds me so much of Terranigma's.

maybe, but on the flip side - if you're of that opinion and people seem to care what you think about games then what are you supposed to do? Not say anything, ever? I can't really think of a diplomatic venue for saying what he said, perhaps more diplomatic phrasing. But then, why sugar coat it?
    Out of respect for his peers in the room? Remember, he said this in a room full of developers at GDC, many of whom would have been Japanese, in response to a question fielded by a Japanese developer. :)
    Nope, not at all. Did you imagine I'd simply not heard about them or something?
    Possibly forgot about them? I'm not sure, I'm just surprised none of them are on your radar really.
    Dragon's Dogma is a maybe, Anarchy Reigns a probably not after the disappointment of Mad World and Lollipop Chainsaw a juvenile embarassment that I'd honestly be ashamed to let other people see me playing.
    As opposed to a full grown woman parading around in a catsuit composed entirely of her hair which, when a finishing move is triggered leaves barely anything covering her? Japanese games are often weird, it doesn't, however, mean they can't also be awesome. :)

There's no problem voicing an opinion but if that opinion is ignorant and offensive then you are going to look like a bellend, which Fish definitely was when he had his rant. I don't think being more diplomatic would have helped, he didn't have any knowledge of what japanese games were out there, understandably since they're quite niche now, but that just made him more ignorant. I think he went off at the japanese on completely the wrong issue.

I think though he just had an agenda to say something controversial to create publicity, which he succeeded at despite coming across as a dick. Mission successful then. I'm there'd be a few less of us talking about Fez otherwise.

Lollipop Chainsaw a juvenile embarassment that I'd honestly be ashamed to let other people see me playing.

It's Suda 51, you can be sure there's some meta meaning behind it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you can also bet this is a fez thread!

bloody game just crashed on me, sent me straight back to the dashboard
    pita

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

First I've even heard about the game today. Checked out the Quick Look on Giantbomb and it looks brill, instabuy. Off to play now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

you can also bet this is a fez thread!

bloody game just crashed on me, sent me straight back to the dashboard
    pita

That problem has been mentioned in some of the reviews of it.

Advertisement