Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What punishments did you recive in primary/secondary school.

• 11-04-2012 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I was in primary from 1994 to 1999. I remember in 5th class I got In a fight and had to use a small desk at the side of the room for 2 days. I had to kneel down to use the desk, my knees were rubbing the very hard wooden floor and I wasn't allowed stand up

In secondary school I had to stand up and face the corner for 30 minutes after I didn't write all my lines for my teacher. "History is a study of our past." Jesus, it's been 11 years since i've had him but I still remember that sentence. If you got a question wrong in class you'd have to write that sentence 125 times.

Also, in primary I was looking for a payphone and accidentally picked up the one in the school shop. A brother saw me and literally shouted full force into my face to get off it, I was only 8 at the time. Even the receptionist was shocked.

Also my teacher for 5th/6th class was a pedo, he felt up boys in the past and one in front of me, thankfully he didnt go near me. What are yer stories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines
    I was given lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Primary school, was either a ruler or a meter stick, ocassionally we got slapped with a cane which was named 'Alfie'

In Secondary school we just used to get the crap knocked out of us by one or two sadistic pricks!

:mad:

Was pretty enjoyable bumping into one teacher a few years back in a pub, who got a bit intimidated by the once 13 year old, who was now a grown man!

Kids these days dont know how lucky they are tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The headmaster threatened to lock Juste, my Arabian thoroughbred, in the stables for a fortnight limiting my access to her.

I was very distressed at the thought, fortunately I learned my lesson early and she was released after only a few minutes of captivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭muttley-dps

Caught and lifted by the ear.
    Caught and lifted by the sideburns.
    Smacked 3 times across the face - I deserved it too!
    The odd detention and lines - good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

corkman wrote:
    I was in primary from 1994 to 1999. I remember in 5th class I got In a fight and had to use a small desk at the side of the room for 2 days. I had to kneel down to use the desk, my knees were rubbing the very hard wooden floor and I wasn't allowed stand up

In secondary school I had to stand up and face the corner for 30 minutes after I didn't write all my lines for my teacher. "History is a study of our past." Jesus, it's been 11 years since i've had him but I still remember that sentence. If you got a question wrong in class you'd have to write that sentence 125 times.

Also, in primary I was looking for a payphone and accidentally picked up the one in the school shop. A brother saw me and literally shouted full force into my face to get off it, I was only 8 at the time. Even the receptionist was shocked.

Also my teacher for 5th/6th class was a pedo, he felt up boys in the past and one in front of me, thankfully he didnt go near me. What are yer stories?
    so thats why you turned into a prick!

and thats worth the ban!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I was kept in at 11 O'Clock break once for talking in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sweeping the yards in primary school and in secondary school you'd be sweeping the foyer

A few years later I was working as barman down the local hotel and the caretaker saw me sweeping and laughed to all his friends that he trained me to sweep and look at me now
    Made me feel like a right loser :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

We had to write what bad thing we did in "THE BOOK!". We were bloody terrified of that book, but alls we really had to do was write the bad thing we did and sign it. :confused: I remember kids being in tears just for having to write in it.

In secondary school. None really, just detention, which consisted of 1 hour of writing lines after school. Anything we did wrong was written in our diaries and our parents had to sign it. People used to get like 10 notes a week, nobody gave 2 fúcks. None of the punishments were really deterrents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

One teacher liked the ruler, another one like to punch you in the back with her diamond ring. Solitary confinement or being kept in during any breaks for days on end was common. Smacks up side the head and being stabbed with a compass was another one, jabbed in the ribs with a ring binder was another one, most my teachers from national school to secondary school where pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Primary school it was being belted across the knuckles with a ruler, and lines, and detention.
    Secondary school it was detention. If you didnt do your homework one teacher made you write out parts of the science textbook, entire chapters.

One teacher we had was an older guy but complete messer sometimes. He was covering for an absent teacher for a german class.
    When he walked in he asked us was this german.

One smartass fella said 'no'

He made him write out the word 'no' two thousand times.

As you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bits of chalk and blackboard dusters were thrown in my direction

Lots of fines for smoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

In primary school, the punishment was to have to stand in the hall during lunch. It was beneath a high window that you couldn't look out of, but you could hear all your friends playing soccer outside.

In secondary Maths, a few lads had to write out a few pages out of the log book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I was good in school :(

I think that peaking as a rebel so young in life is probably actually in your favour.

I intend to go mental in my 40ts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Got a pile (30 or so) of books, A4 size, thrown onto my table, very close to my head. I guess, the teacher wanted to wake me up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

I had to stand with my arms out holding my schoolbag in right hand for the 40 minutes of maths period for being late.

Spent a week during the summer holidays cleaning chewing gum of the underneath of all the desks in the school for being caught drinking on a school trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Primary school - lines or a bold letter in our journals.
    Secondary - Detention, suspension

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

In secondary school being made to wear a hideous ****e brown coloured jumper and skirt and a pukey peach coloured shirt underneath. We all looked like giant turds heading to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Lines were nae bother to me, the old five black pens, 3 sheets of carbon paper

So first visit to new headmaster, typical full of it 14 year old, should have twigged something was up when he said he asked if I liked history.

Yes I said like an idiot

Right 6 pages on the causes on the French Revolution on my desk at 08:30 tomorrow morning.

Bastarded graded it, anything less than a B it had to be done again

Simply but effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

used to get a smack of a book on the hand in junior and senior infants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I went to school with black socks instead of unifrom grey.

The confiscated my scoks. Strange.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

A four page essay on the dangers of thumbtacs in class.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I went to school with black socks instead of unifrom grey.

The confiscated my scoks. Strange.

Good job your knickers were the right colour or else you were rightly screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I had Catherine Flanagan's big black ruler with a magnifying glass in one end broken over my hand by Mrs. Sharkey when I was about 5 or 6. I don't think I was punished much after that in primary except maybe being made to stand against the wall for missing spellings or something.

In secondary school we got the usual lines or essays to write. One teacher used to get us to write out pages from the geography book "Pages 4, 6, 8 and 10 Mr Cernach" he'd shout but he never seemed to read them so we'd hand him any old stuff. Another would make you stand outside the door. In 4th year we had a class that was right beside the front door of the school so one lad when he was kicked out picked a heap of berries off a bush growing at the door and flicked them under it for the rest of the class much to our amusement. Another poor sod found himself with a 6 page essay to write for a teacher called Rita so he decided to be a bit inventive and about halfway through wrote "Rita is a bitch" in it. Turns out she sat down and read it. He ended up getting a suspension. In that 4th year class I think there were a total of 26 suspensions and 3 expulsions and there was only something like 28 of us in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 navandiver

If we were caught chewing chewing gum in Irish class for Junior Cert we were given a choice
    a fine of two euro to be given to charity
    lunchtime clean up or
    stick the chewing gum to your forehead for the remainder of the class

Needless to say the sticking the gum to your forehead was the one chosen by the majority of people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Any punishment I received in school was intended to develop my self confidence, foster my skills in critical and independent thinking and condition me to become a well rounded citizen of our country.

Not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

In 6th class rather than put us standing in the corner, our teacher would spill a load of biro's on the floor, line them up and then have us kneel on them. We'd be in bits by the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Primary School
    meter stick and cane - the nun who used to do that didnt really aim at anyone just in a general direction as she went around - if you weren't paying attention you'd get clipped otherwise you were safe.

Sent around the school yard picking up the litter - we had to take turns but sometimes you'd get an extra turn for talking.

Put in charge of the infants class when teachers were out - wasn't meant to be a punishment but it was.

Secondary School
    Picked up by the lockes and ear by one teacher for "rearranging the furniture" ie moving my desk closer to the radiator one freezing morning.
    Class mate told to stab me with a compass a few times for chatting too much
    never got detention but was almost expelled for waving at the principle one day - he must have been hungover or something
    Was confined to quarters on a school boat trip to france.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In all honesty, in hindsight, the greatest punishment was nothing physical but the sheer pressure and endurance ordeal of rote learning that was/is the Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If I recall, it was something minor, you had to sit on the naughty step. If it was something serious, they'd call your parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Usually humiliated, intimidated and once I was given detention and didn't show up as soon as I figured out nothing would happen if I didn't go I stopped worrying about "punishments" or at least lost all respect for adults for not following through are using anger or humiliation.

Bits of chalk and blackboard dusters were thrown in my direction

Lots of fines for smoking

Is that not illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Was confined to quarters on a school boat trip to france.

Not so fast;)

What on earth were you up to to warrant that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

In primary school we got the leather belt across the hands or a bamboo stick across the back of the legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mickey H wrote: »
    Good job your knickers were the right colour or else you were rightly screwed.

they weren't always - I was a bit of a rebel in my youth.

I also went to a Christian Borthers school, so it didn't stop me being screwed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

One of our teachers used to make us hold our arms out and he'd put heavy books on them. fking sado.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Leather strap to the hand in secondary school up north.

Imagine that.. someone was making a living from selling custom leather straps to school teachers.

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

One lad caught me copying from his book so he hit me a few times really hard and i then in turn grabbed him around the neck to stop him from hitting me. Teacher came back(she had left the room) and sent the both of us to see our head master who was one of the most evil fukers of men who ever taught any children anywhwere. Anyway i had to walk in as i was up first and tell him my side of the story. I just had the words "sir i was sent up here cause i held Martin around the neck" and the horrible **** of a head master rolled up his 5th class Busy At Maths book and wallopped me across the side of my face. I immediantly burst into tears and he told me to stand in the corner and whilst standing there i actually pissed my own pants, i ****e you not. I was only seven years old at the time aswell. Safe to say that day has stayed with me ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

In primary school we got pulled to the top of the class by the ear, wacked on the back of the hands with a ruler - four of the best with a bamboo cane for the more serious offences.

In secondary school - the brothers - we were assaulted with various weapons : leather straps, dusters, hurleys and on one occasion an umbrella. That was all a long time ago and school was still a bit of craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sweeping the yards in primary school and in secondary school you'd be sweeping the foyer

A few years later I was working as barman down the local hotel and the caretaker saw me sweeping and laughed to all his friends that he trained me to sweep and look at me now
    Made me feel like a right loser
    :(

Is he still working?
    Did anyone ever report it?

A "Janitor". The job which is made fun of in every single comedy program made YOU feel like a loser??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I called one of my primary school teachers a crabby old bat and she rang my mum who made me buy her a potted plant out of my pocket money! :( Never lived it down.

• Advertisement

whole class got lines once when a couple of the lads were messing around

about half the class including myself sent to the library during an english class since we'd forgotten a book or something
    that's about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ya had it easy.:D The Primary punishment (I was there from '64 - '71) was easy. Secondary, on the other hand ('71-'76) was a different kettle of fish. Leather strap - kept in a fridge - loaded with penny coins. Six on each hand.

Having said that I was an awful bollocks for messing:D so probably deserved it. My older brothers, on the other hand, remembered lads of 15/16 having their pants pulled down and getting the leather, or cane, across the arse. Hard times (no pun intended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Freddie59 wrote: »

Having said that I was an awful bollocks for messing:D so probably deserved it. My older brothers, on the other hand, remembered lads of 15/16 having their pants pulled down and getting the leather, or cane, across the arse. Hard times (no pun intended).

I think I'd rather it across the arse than the hands tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Ya had it easy.:D The Primary punishment (I was there from '64 - '71) was easy. Secondary, on the other hand ('71-'76) was a different kettle of fish. Leather strap - kept in a fridge - loaded with penny coins. Six on each hand.

ahhhh.....

explains a lot....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Cane,leather strap,stick,slaps,twisting of ears, and that was for been good ;-).

This was late 60,s & 70,s in a christian brothers run school,The masters were as bad as the brothers.Never had physical punishment in secondary.Left in 77 and became a bouncer.

just joking about the bouncer part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Only trouble I got into in primary was being sent to the principle for an epic food fight one lunchtime...

In secondary the whole class got suspended for 3 days because someone stole the keys to the computer lab and didn't own up. What a ridiculous ''punishment'', I was fcking delighted to have a few days off. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Started primary in 91ish but never really got in any trouble. Secondary from about 2000 on and the worst I ever got was suspended for dossing. Other than that punishments were notes in the journal for not doing homework and messing, some teachers gave additional stuff like writing out the dictionary in the back of the french book or stupid essays.

All in all I'm glad I went to school when I did, talking my father or even my sisters fella who would be a good bit older than me they got an awful doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I remember getting caught with a knife carving school property in primary school. The teacher gave me the knife back after break and made me promise not to do it again.

I'd imagine the punishment might be a little harsher these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

[QUOTE=RiseToTheTop;78070391]I was in primary from 1994 to 1999. I remember in 5th class I got In a fight and had to use a small desk at the side of the room for 2 days. I had to kneel down to use the desk, my knees were rubbing the very hard wooden floor and I wasn't allowed stand up

Also my teacher for 5th/6th class was a pedo, he felt up boys in the past and one in front of me, thankfully he didnt go near me. What are yer stories?[/QUOTE]
    IM0 wrote: »
    so thats why you turned into a prick!

Originally Posted by corkman

and thats worth the ban!

How the same post with two different usernames ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

RichieC wrote: »
    I think I'd rather it across the arse than the hands tbh..

Ask me about it Richie. Always got it on the hands. By fcuk you wouldn't be right for hours afterwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement