Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC build, need to make cheaper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Nollog

A recent Atom+Ion motherboard would save you a lot of money, keeping 1080p possible.
    for example, http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=35706&agid=1391
    Would save you 115.40+91.73+73.54-143.82 = €136.85

Also, don't get Windows 7, install something like XMBC with linux under it, unless you want a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭M00lers

Hard to see where you could make any massive saving really but you can pick up Windows 7 from softwareforstudents.ie for 45ish euro.

If you had a spare HDD knocking about that you could use until prices come down to pre flood levels, that would save another few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

/\/ollog wrote: »
    A recent Atom+Ion motherboard would save you a lot of money, keeping 1080p possible.

Yeah, but then there's the issue of not being able to run any game decently, now that I look over the build I can't think of ways myself to make it cheaper, other than wait a bit longer for the HDD prices to return to normal.

Yeah, but then there's the issue of not being able to run any game decently, now that I look over the build I can't think of ways myself to make it cheaper, other than wait a bit longer for the HDD prices to return to normal.

Oh, so you want a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Put in a Celeron G530.

• Advertisement

Oh, so you want a PC.

But a HTPC is a PC anyway?:confused:

Eboggles wrote: »
    Put in a Celeron G530.

How well do they perform compared to the i3's? I'm having a bit of difficulty finding benchmarks for it with regards to gaming.

My idea of a HTPC is Home Theatre, meaning it plays movies.
    you can make a pretty super box for that from as little as 150 euro if you shop around enough, and it'd be tidy with the psu on the plug.

My idea of a HTPC is Home Theatre, meaning it plays movies.
    you can make a pretty super box for that from as little as 150 euro if you shop around enough, and it'd be tidy with the psu on the plug.

You have a point, I'll wait till my dad is home and ask him what his budget is, if his budget allows for it, I'll go for my build, if not, I'll go with whatever ye lads can help me come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

For the lightish gaming you'd be doing on a 7750, G530 might be enough. You'd probably be gaming at 720p on that card would you?

Only 36 on HVS too, surprised how cheap that is.

Got an Element Q i was going to stick up on adverts for 40 if you want to knock a tenner off your build :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Hard to see where you could make any massive saving really but you can pick up Windows 7 from softwareforstudents.ie for 45ish euro. €54.95

Fixed your post, but I agree it's that it's cheaper alternative to go for.
    Eboggles wrote: »
    Put in a Celeron G530.

I agree.
    How well do they perform compared to the i3's? I'm having a bit of difficulty finding benchmarks for it with regards to gaming.

The i3s have got hyperthreading which doesn't make that big a difference in games. There's different on-chip graphics too which won't make any difference with a graphics card. Aside from that, the i3s usually have a bit more cache and a higher clock speed. This particular i3 that you picked is a low power one so the clock speed is 2.5GHz - a mere 0.1GHz higher than the celeron G530. There should be very little difference in these two CPUs - certainly nowhere near the difference the extra cost would suggest.

You could save a bit with a different motherboard.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50896

Are you sure that that graphics card fits into that case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Waaaay overkill for a HTPC. If the hardest thing it has to do is play a 1080p file, then a G530 should do that fine. I also don't know why there's a graphics card in there.

Edit: Missed the some gaming bit. You could still stick that GPU in this and it would be fine.

Item|Price
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€51.72
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€35.99
    4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-8500U CL7|€19.19
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€102.99
    Samsung SH-B123L Retail|€55.67
    ASUS P8H61-I Rev 3.0, Intel Sockel 1155, ITX|€73.43
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€78.54
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€436.52

Monotype wrote: »
    Are you sure that that graphics card fits into that case?

Good question, I'm not sure now, could get a taller case if my dad agrees to move a shelf.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Waaaay overkill for a HTPC. If the hardest thing it has to do is play a 1080p file, then a G530 should do that fine. I also don't know why there's a graphics card in there.

Edit: Missed the some gaming bit. You could still stick that GPU in this and it would be fine.

Item|Price
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€51.72
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€35.99
    4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-8500U CL7|€19.19
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€102.99
    Samsung SH-B123L Retail|€55.67
    ASUS P8H61-I Rev 3.0, Intel Sockel 1155, ITX|€73.43
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€78.54
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€436.52

Deadly, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Hey, what spec woudl I need ot make a media player like you mentioned? Cheers

Advertisement