Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One cold room

Options
  • 11-04-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

I've been renting an apartment for 2 months now. It has oil heating with a thermostat. The building was an old Victorian 3 story with really thick exterior walls on a terraced row and each floor is one apartment.
    The master bedroom is at the back of the apartment and is always freezing cold at night. The rest of the house is 20 degrees and all radiators work perfectly. We have to leave open the bedroom door to keep it warm.

All windows are PVC double glazed. Condensation forms on the windows in the bedroom!

How could this much heat be escaping from this room if every other room is so easy to heat?

*no one has died in the room :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

is there a radiator in the room ,at night switch off other radiators, can you put heating on before you go to bed.ARE you saying theres no rad in bedroom, id say theres something in tenants basic requirements,
    flats should have a proper heating heating system, i would not rent a flat with no rad in the room as there ,ll be no effecient way of heatiing
    it IF room is small maybe you could, buy a small fan heater,or oil filled heater.
    SOUNDS like you have to heat up the whole flat in order to heat the bedroom ,leave door open, that is grossly inefffecient and expensive.
    CAN you ask landlord to install a new rad..
    THERES basic standards re rental accomodation re storage,building standards etc in theory the council is supposed to inspect all rental units.
    IF you are not happy maybe you should move out.
    if theres ventilation grills in the walls close em after 6pm,at least until the weather gets warmer.There are laws re standards,requirements, for rental units .
    The landlord gets tax credits for fitting insulation, or putting in new rads,so it costs him
    very little to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

riclad wrote: »
    is there a radiator in the room ,at night switch off other radiators, can you put heating on before you go to bed.ARE you saying theres no rad in bedroom, id say theres something in tenants basic requirements,
    flats should have a proper heating heating system, i would not rent a flat with no rad in the room as there ,ll be no effecient way of heatiing
    it IF room is small maybe you could, buy a small fan heater,or oil filled heater.
    SOUNDS like you have to heat up the whole flat in order to heat the bedroom ,leave door open, that is grossly inefffecient and expensive.
    CAN you ask landlord to install a new rad.DOES room have double glazing.
    THERES basic standards re rental accomodation re storage,building standards etc in theory the council is supposed to inspect all rental units.
    IF you are not happy maybe you should move out.
    The room has double glazing, radiator and thick exterior walls. The house uses very little oil and the boiler is new and has a thermostat.
    I was thinking that maybe there is no insulation in the ceiling above that room. Is that at all plausible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Does the radiator in that room work? Maybe it's facing north and just never gets any natural sunlight, but a working radiator should still heat it sufficiently. Is your flat on the top floor? Can you access the attic to see if there is a gap in the insulation?

Does the radiator in that room work? Maybe it's facing north and just never gets any natural sunlight, but a working radiator should still heat it sufficiently. Is your flat on the top floor? Can you access the attic to see if there is a gap in the insulation?
    The radiator works. The flat is on the 2nd story of a 3 story building. The flat above is identical to mine so his bedroom is above.
    It does get very little sunlight but this wouldn't explain the temperature difference at night.

YES ,its plausible, or as many new apartments,not enough insulation ,builders save money, insulation not fitted properly,as per guidelines,plans,
    ie if you are not on ground floor ,you could be losing heat thru ceiling and floor .
    SEE priory hall new apartments closed down, proper fireproofing ,insulation was not installed ,or was below standards.
    SOME builders contractors ,throw in abit of insulation, plaster over it,
    once plaster is up,no way of telling its bad, unless its inspected by an expert.
    A building may look fantastic and may have faulty or incorrectly fitted insulation ,ie most buildings are never inspected by anyone unless theres a serious incident like a fire.
    You could ask for extra insulation on ceiling, and bedroom ,eg on the wall that faces the street.
    There may be no insulation on bedroom wall,or it maybe fitted incorrectly.
    does tenant above have the same problem?

what floor are you on?
    some old buildings have zero insulation in ceilings,and floors ,thats the way they were built.

• Advertisement

The building work done when the property was divided into 3 flats wasnt 100% so maye they cut corners on insulation.
    I had to get the telephone line brought in through a wall because they seem to have forgot!

I reckon theres no or badly fitted insulation on ceiling ,exterior walls,
    so if bedroom faces exterior its extra cold,
    other rooms maybe ok ,because they are not near the exterior walls, or they have good insulation,if apartment above or below is empty , unheated ,It makes things worse, heat tends to rise or be lost thru low insulation walls, ceilings.
    i,ve seen ceilings, floors, they had zero insulation, my sister bought an old house for renovation,her husbands in the building trade.
    they were just built that way.
    so your floor ,ceiling, could be badly insulated ,or have zero insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does the whole rad heat up. Is there damp around window from thermal bridging.

Advertisement