Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Gaeltacht in Galway for "Grown-ups"?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

Just wondering - would it be feasible to organise an "Irish summer school" for adults in Galway? I'm not thinking of shipping a group of adults off to Connemara for a weeks, but if a "programme of activities" - for want of a better description - were organised with the proviso that participants spoke only through Irish. Say, involve restaurants or cafes who would be willing to provide a menu and take orders through Irish? Organise a screening of some film through Irish in one of the cinemas? Perhaps the Taibhdhearc will be back in action by the end of the summer? Tours, strolls, seminars, a night or two in the Áras?

I know quite a number of people who have said they'd like to improve their Irish, and immersion is definitely the best way to learn a language.

Or perhaps there is already something along these lines in place?

Thoughts?

Bhí's ag smaoineamh - an mbeadh sé sodhéanta "scoil samhraidh" trí Ghaeilge a eagrú le haghaidh daoine fásta i nGailleamh? Nílim ag smaoineamh faoi grúpa daoine a sheoladh thall go dtí Connemara, ach cad faoi sraith gníomhaíochtaí a eagrú, ar an gcoinníoll nach mbeifeá ag labhairt ach as Gaeilge? Abair, dá mbeadh caife nó bialanna a mbeadh sásta biachlár beag a tháirgeadh agus orduithe a thógáil trí Ghaeilge? Taispeántas i gceann de na phictúirlann de scannán Gaelach éigin? Seans go mbeidh an Taibhdhearc oscailte arís ag deireadh an tsamhraidh? Turais, siúlóidí, léachtaí, oíche nó dhó san Áras?

Tá aithne agam ar roinnt maith daoine a bhfuil sé ráite acu gur mhaith leo a chuid Gaeilge a bhfeabhsú, 'gus, cinnte, is é tumoideachas an bealach is fearr chun teanga a fhoghlam.

Nó seans go bhfuil rud éigin den tsórt seo ar fáil sheana féin?

Smaointe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have a feeling that theres something like this out in spiddal, but its longer than a week ... mmm the people who lve talked to who did it were musicians, not sure if its musi based perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's something like this out in Inisheer and a pal did an intensive in Connemara, but that was about 10 years ago. I think it's a great idea, I'll see if I can find out more on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

I know of one person who'd be very interested in attending a summer school for adults in Galway City.

Maybe talk to the head of Colaiste Lurgan about this - he is a very progressive, imaginative, down-to-earth, "doer"-type who'll be able to advise you or maybe even enter into a business partnership with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

labhair le Conradh na Gaeilge no Gaillimh le Gaeilge faoi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭squonk

Hi OP! Please post back if you manage to organise something. I'd be very interested in this. I was planning on doing some of the Irish classes in the Aras during the winter but didn't get the time. Activities as gaeilge over the summer would be fab. I don't have the opportunity to head off somewhere for a week or two on a course but meeting up one or two nights a week for things would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I used to think about this actually a few years back; I have great memories of the Gaeltacht as a teenager, but always thought it's be great if there was something for adults. I have memories that there was something like it in existance somewhere, but about 10 years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Cheers for the replies, all.
    JustMary wrote: »
    Have a feeling that theres something like this out in spiddal, but its longer than a week ... mmm the people who lve talked to who did it were musicians, not sure if its musi based perhaps
    Something music-based sounds great! Might exclude some non-musical people who might be interested though. Also Spiddal is miiiiiiles away.

Bheadh rud éigin le ceol go h-iontach! Ach seans go d'fhéadfadh sé roinnt daoine a eisiamh. Freisin, tá An Spidéal beagáinín ró-bhfad ó bhaile.
    Maybe talk to the head of Colaiste Lurgan about this - he is a very progressive, imaginative, down-to-earth, "doer"-type who'll be able to advise you or maybe even enter into a business partnership with you.

That's not a bad idea at all - I know a few people who have taught in Lurgan and they seem like a decent crowd. I don't know about a "business partnership" though - I wasn't viewing it as a money-making venture.

Ní droch-smaoineamh é sin ar chor bith - tá aithne agam ar roinnt daoine a mbíodh ag múineadh ansin, agus ar ndóigh is daoine maithe iad. Níl fhios agam faoi "gnó", áfach - ní raibh sé ar intinn agam aon airgead a dhéanamh as...

Advertisement