Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying after uni

Options
  • 11-04-2012 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend and I are renting an appartment close to my university. When I graduate (a year from now) we are considering buying a house in a housing estate in my hometown. Houses there are going cheap (55-60k sterling) and I know the area well. Our plan is to live there for a few months until we have permanent jobs then we will find a family to rent out to long term and we will rent a house ourselves. Possibly buy another house in a few years.

Mortgage repayments on a 20 year mortgage would be 295 per month. Rental income would be 400 per month. Rates are approx 500 per year. I have not allowed for tax or repairs/maintainance etc. The house is currently in good condition with fairly new appliances since it was an ex-council house. I am working on the assumption of full occupancy and can factor this in later.

Could someone give me an estimate of what I should allow for taxes and additional costs.

Advertisement