Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New study questions entire violent videogame dabate

Options
  • 11-04-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭

A new study out of Sweden suggests that the entire basis for the debate over the impact of violent videogames may be flawed.

Arguments about the influence of violent videogames on violent behavior in the real world have raged back and forth for years, with scientists of various stripes telling us alternately that games with guns will turn us into homicidal maniacs or prove the safe outlet that will keep it from happening. But after spending hundreds of hours playing and watching others play online, a research team from the University of Gothenberg in Sweden says the very validity of the question may be in doubt.

Link: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116692-New-Study-Questions-Entire-Violent-Videogame-Debate

Its about time someone released something that is not derogatory towards the games industry. I never myself thought games make people violent. Hell I have been playing since the early eighties and I don't have a violent bone in my body.
    Of course the media wont pick up this story as it doesn't suit their agenda.
    Anyway I thought you might all want to read the story.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There's a fair amount of research being published about gaming. Most of it's positive. But when's the last time "Things are pretty ok!" was seen on a headline?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The vast majority of research about the effects of violent games on people has been positive towards gaming showing no violent influence on people. However it's only the minority of papers that show gaming in a negative light that make it to the mainstream press. These papers tend to be in journals with very low impact factors and it's just a publicity stunt by the so called 'researchers' with very little in the way of actual scientific study.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I often wonder if the stereotype of gaming you see on TV and films at this point is now a delibrate attempt to make it look like a saddo's pursuit- after all, if I was in one of those industries and noticed how much money gaming is making out of the recreation dollar, I would be too.

Everyone has a different story but right now I could not honestly call gaming anything but a positive factor in my life even if you take the whole relaxing factor out (I've travelled to Cannes and hopefully soon Vegas with friends I would have never known if not for it. That's proper mental!

Oh and West Meath but we don't talk about that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

It's only the Joe Duffy and Daily Mail crowd stirring it these days and who cares what they think.
    MMO'S are addictive though but certainly wouldn't turn you into some aggressive maniac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

KilOit wrote: »
    MMO'S are addictive though but certainly wouldn't turn you into some aggressive maniac.

You've never seen what happens when someone ninja's the loot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

You've never seen what happens when someone ninja's the loot.

I stand corrected.

Advertisement