Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS passes April 2012

Options
  • 11-04-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Starting tonight, the ISS will be visible, weather permitting as usual, for the next couple of weeks. Tonight's times are 20.49 and 22.23. See heavens-above.com for other times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mongarra wrote: »
    Starting tonight, the ISS will be visible, weather permitting as usual, for the next couple of weeks. Tonight's times are 20.49 and 22.23. See heavens-above.com for other times.
    Just missed it and its clear tonight too :( Ah well hopefully tomorro

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Timfy

22:21 - Clear
    22:22 - Clear
    22:23 - Cloud Cover 90%
    22:24 - Clear

It's tough being an astronomer in Connemara!!!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Tonight it's 21.27 and 23.03 (in Wexford). Maybe a minute or so earlier in Connemara!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dev_g

Any idea on times for tonight?

I had a look on the heavens-above site but that seems to just show the current location, do you need to register to see when it will pass your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dev_g wrote: »
    Any idea on times for tonight?

I had a look on the heavens-above site but that seems to just show the current location, do you need to register to see when it will pass your area?

Yes, register and supply your location long. & lat. - you can register more than one location and easily switch from one to another.

There's a bigge this evening, lasting almost three minutes from my location and moving from 10 degrees WSW to 61 degrees SSW and there's a five minutes pass tomorrow.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, register and supply your location long. & lat. - you can register more than one location and easily switch from one to another.

There's a bigge this evening, lasting almost three minutes from my location and moving from 10 degrees WSW to 61 degrees SSW and there's a five minutes pass tomorrow.

This is a stupid question but where is that in the sky?:o Would it be coming from the left or right of the north star, mars direction..? Wouldnt mind catching a look of it tonight as its a clear evening. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Did it just pass now. High up in the south from west to east

Yes, great pass, went below Mars at 21:14:30

Another one due at 22:47, that's over Dublin.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    This is a stupid question but where is that in the sky?:o Would it be coming from the left or right of the north star, mars direction..? Wouldnt mind catching a look of it tonight as its a clear evening. Cheers

Check out www.heavens-above.com - they give a listing of predicted passes and if you click on the time, it shows you a map of the sky (including Mars!) and the track of the ISS for that pass.

On the pass I just saw, it came up from the SW sky and travelled slowly like a distant plane, moving right to left, it passed below Mars at 21:14 and then dipped slowly down into the eastern sky where it eventually passed into the Earth's shadow and disappeared. The rear of my house faces SE so I had a great view, some trees in the SSW blocked the first minute or so but I saw most of it.

Check out www.heavens-above.com - they give a listing of predicted passes and if you click on the time, it shows you a map of the sky (including Mars!) and the track of the ISS for that pass.

On the pass I just saw, it came up from the SW sky and travelled slowly like a distant plane, moving right to left, it passed below Mars at 21:14 and then dipped slowly down into the eastern sky where it eventually passed into the Earth's shadow and disappeared.

Cheers. Yeah I just signed up to heavens above there now and surprisingly my town in Mayo was on the list. So going by that map it says it il pass through the plow around 22:49. Its somewhere in the Pacific atm. Some site!

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Cheers. Yeah I just signed up to heavens above there now and surprisingly my town in Mayo was on the list. So going by that map it says it il pass through the plow around 22:49. Its somewhere in the Pacific atm. Some site!

I checked the prediction for Claremorris. That's Leo, not the Plough!

The Plough is Ursa Major on the map, the ISS will pass through Leo, go just above Mars and then disappear. You will need to be looking to the west to pick up the ISS, it will then move right to left towards Mars which is currently high up in the southern sky.

From Dublin the ISS will disappear just as it reaches the head of the lion in Leo.

If you look towards the Plough you'll get a pain in the neck (it's virtually overhead at the moment) and see nothing.

I checked the prediction for Claremorris. That's Leo, not the Plough!

The Plough is Ursa Major on the map, the ISS will pass through Leo, go just above Mars and then disappear. You will need to be looking to the west to pick up the ISS, it will then move right to left towards Mars which is currently high up in the southern sky.

From Dublin the ISS will disappear just as it reaches the head of the lion in Leo.

If you look towards the Plough you'll get a pain in the neck (it's virtually overhead at the moment) and see nothing.

Ha rookie mistake! They look fairly similar though. Am at the right place though just the wrong terminology:pac:

EDIT: Brilliant skies for the pass tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

I saw the ISS on both passes last night. It was a great night for viewing.
    Although on the 2nd pass at approx 10:50pm it disappeared when it got to a SSE direction, there were no clouds out so it wasn't that.
    But on the earlier pass I could view it right the whole way to the very far east before it disappeared, anyone know why I couldn't do the same on the 2nd pass??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

sandt wrote: »
    I saw the ISS on both passes last night. It was a great night for viewing.
    Although on the 2nd pass at approx 10:50pm it disappeared when it got to a SSE direction, there were no clouds out so it wasn't that.
    But on the earlier pass I could view it right the whole way to the very far east before it disappeared, anyone know why I couldn't do the same on the 2nd pass??
    It passed into the Earths shadow. We only see the ISS because it is reflecting light from the Sun. As it gets later at night the ISS will pass into the Earths shadow, often this provides only a short viewing opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Passing in a few mins now... Haven't looked outside, but if I see a cloud I might just go on a kill crazy rampage :D Haven't looked for the ISS in months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Too cloudy tonight in Cork.

5 Day prediction:
    http://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544

Advertisement