Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 207 - difficult to shift into gear

• 11-04-2012 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having a problem with my Peugeot 207 (2007).
    The problem is that it's difficult to shift into gear. :(

For example, if I'm at a set of lights and the car is in neutral. If I push in the clutch and try to put it in 1st gear, it doesn't go in very easily. While driving 1st to 3rd is difficult, while 4th and 5th aren't so bad.

I've had the clutch and master/slave cylinders replaced. The problem is still there. Although, each time a part was replaced, the problem disappeared for a short while - an hour, maybe two.

Once the car is in gear, there doesn't appear to be any other problem.

Also something else which is strange. Another example - if I'm coming up to a set of lights, I'll start to break, engage the clutch and come to a stop. If I try to go into 1st gear with the break still engaged engaged, 75% of the time - it will not go into gear. As soon as I let up the break, it'll go into gear.
    (I hope that makes sense)

Any advice would be appreciated...

BN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'd start by getting a new mechanic.

Sounds like the gear linkage is worn to me

Cheap fix

Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

How many miles are on it? If it is low mileage, I'd be surprised if the linkage is worn although it may need adjusted.

If the problem disappeared after the clutch cylinders were changed only to come back again, I wonder could there be air in system. What happens if you pump the clutch a few times before attempting gear selection?

If it only happens when cold, it may be worthwhile to try changing the gearbox oil.

piston wrote: »
    How many miles are on it? If it is low mileage, I'd be surprised if the linkage is worn although it may need adjusted.

If the problem disappeared after the clutch cylinders were changed only to come back again, I wonder could there be air in system. What happens if you pump the clutch a few times before attempting gear selection?

If it only happens when cold, it may be worthwhile to try changing the gearbox oil.
    All correct op.

Personally I think OP needs to take it to a reputable mechanic as all of the above should not have been replaced if the problem is persisting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks for the replies so far...

I've had it looked at by two mechanics - my own mechanic and by a dealer and neither can find the source of the problem.

It has about 70,000 km on the clock.

Gearbox oil changed last week and the problem disappeared for a little longer but is present again.

Air in the system has been mentioned a few times and when it gets 'bled' the problem goes away - but only to return again a few hours later.

Edit: I don't know much about cars, so apologies if my terminology isn't right.

Where are you located as there are some good mechanics on here?

Has it been bleed a few times?

• Advertisement

Yep, been bled a few times and each time it fixes the problem for a couple hours. (depends on much I'm driving it really)

Can't remember if pumping the clutch gets it into gear any better, will test it out on the way home tonight.
    I'm in North Co. Dublin.

Edit: Btw, neither of the mechanics find it odd that the car won't go into gear with the clutch engaged and brake down.
    Was able to do it no problem before the problem developed. As I say, as soon as I take my foot of the brake, it'll go into gear.

Yep, been bled a few times and each time it fixes the problem for a couple hours. (depends on much I'm driving it really)

Can't remember if pumping the clutch gets it into gear any better, will test it out on the way home tonight.
    I'm in North Co. Dublin.
    Contact Nissan doctor on here he is in drumcondra and works in a good garages (from my experience)

Tried pumping the clutch this evening but it didn't really make any noticeable difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Sounds like a clutch problem. The master and slave cylinders don't give trouble on the 207. changing the gear oil would not have done anything to sort the kind of problem you have.

Peugeot Master Tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Did you have a full clutch kit replaced? A weak pressure plate can cause the problem you describe. Often occurs on cars used mostly for city/start stop driving.

• Advertisement

@nissan doctor - I'm not sure to honest. The 'clutch was replaced' that's all I know. I can find out tomorrow though. Is there anyway to confirm it's a weak pressure plate?

Was driving the car tonight and it just feels like the clutch isn't engaging fully. The clutch pedal is going up and down as it always has - i.e. the pedal doesn't feel loose or stiff. But as I say, I don't know much about cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

@nissan doctor - I'm not sure to honest. The 'clutch was replaced' that's all I know. I can find out tomorrow though. Is there anyway to confirm it's a weak pressure plate?

Was driving the car tonight and it just feels like the clutch isn't engaging fully. The clutch pedal is going up and down as it always has - i.e. the pedal doesn't feel loose or stiff. But as I say, I don't know much about cars.

Generally, if you can select gear perfectly with the engine off, but not when its running, then your looking at a pressure plate issue, especially if you've already had the slave and master cylinders replaced with new ones.

If it was the linkage then it would be stiff of the engine was on or off.

Advertisement