Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won a prize but have to contribute to it !

Options
  • 11-04-2012 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

My wife was at a "womens show" in the RDS a couple of weeks ago and entered loads of competitions.

Yesterday, she got a call to say "you have won a runners up prize of a VIP pampering day with photos". However, we require you to pay for the photos element. Can we have your credit card number to charge seventy euro please.

They rang her last night and she said she would have to talk to me but she didnt think so. They rang her this morning while she was working and she noticed the missed call. They rang a third time while she was on lunch and she told them no again and she rang me.

I flipped the lid and rang them. How can my wife win a prize and be required to pay €70?

"Oh, she has not won a prize, she has been selected for a discount on a VIP day of pampering, makeup and photos". Well, I put them right.

The caller told her she has won a runners up prize.
    Then told her she had to cover the photo fees.
    Then asked her, over the phone, for her credit card number.

I pointed out to them that while they may be reputable, such a carry on is reminicent of a SCAM and they should not be doing it.

They are going to talk to the person who was making the calls and make sure it doesnt happen again.

Tell your wives folks to beware this carry on. After the third call, I let rip.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ah but this is an old story. look at pixiphoto. with them you enter a prize and you win a photo. Wow i think we have won every time we enter. (ps we do it for the craic)

however when you get there, the photos are great I must admit, however pulling at the heart strings of parents by multiple poses and sizes etc of photos the one you win is a 8x5 standard photo and you only get one copy. we worked out that to get a "selection" of photos the cost was over €350. Never mind the frames they were offering too.

to be honest the groupon etc of offering discount packages comparing to the standard pricing it what it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I rang the studio and gave them what for. They explained my wife had not won a prize after all !

She had been "specially selected" for a discount VIP day and if she didnt want it, that was fine.

In the meantime, I asked the wife EXACTLY what the caller said, and she replied, "If you don't want your prize, we can give it to someone else"

Hmmmmm.

Someone in Bellamakeover needs to work out what exactly they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Simple solution: Don't give your phone number to strangers.

If they insist on a phone number just walk away.

Same scam goes on with people (usually family photographers) who set up stands in shopping centres, everyone who enters the competition wins but there's always a catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It was a competition entry at the womans way show in the RDS.

Advertisement