Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pheasant sex change.

Options
  • 11-04-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

This is really strange but i let out a fully grown hen pheasant with dark brownish or redish feathers like a cock pheasant but it had no ring or green head or red around its eyes so i let it out thinking it was similar to a melanastic pheasant except a hen. So a few weeks later i started hearing Cackles and my father said he seen a pheasant cock molting but he said it was very large to be molting and we never seen the hen again.So i started to wonder a few weeks ago if the hen changed into a cock and i found this online.
    Bird's rare sex change stuns zoo.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=225291

so i would just like to see what other people think i am not sure about but it could happen according to this article.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

right lad all write to the npws , we can no longer be sure it a hen or a cock undercover , so were going to have to shoot them all .

funny story tho .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

it can happen to a chicken cant it?well not full blown slice and dice below job but cackling like a rooster etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tis weird allright - its common enough in fish(in the Shannon some fish are changing sex due to exposure to chemicals in sewage!!) but I 've never heard about it in birds. Though like humans i'm sure you can get hemaphrodites

Advertisement